Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
MetricMike
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper for the Blind?

I have a colleague at work who was asking me about the practicalities of setting himself up with a small home PC based studio. My first thoughts were that Reaper (and I guess) all other Daws, plus the associated software are all very much visually based and so it isn't a practical proposition.

However rather than me making assumptions I thought it better to ask those with far more knowledge than myself? So is it possible to set up Reaper (or maybe another DAW) for someone who is blind?
MetricMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetricMike View Post
I have a colleague at work who was asking me about the practicalities of setting himself up with a small home PC based studio. My first thoughts were that Reaper (and I guess) all other Daws, plus the associated software are all very much visually based and so it isn't a practical proposition.

However rather than me making assumptions I thought it better to ask those with far more knowledge than myself? So is it possible to set up Reaper (or maybe another DAW) for someone who is blind?
blind or blind?

There are tools to help zoom the screen in which might be helpful, also it works well with controllers.

the reaper comes for everyone....

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
matsuri

i think its impossible for blind people to get a setup that would let them control all things in a daw like non blind people - even with tools that make some sort of text to speech translation and special hardware controllers...
but if he is interested in musik making he should get someone assisting him on the daw work while he can focus on composing
matsuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Curvespace

Mike, some of the upcoming theme features might make Reaper easier to use for blind people, but I'm not sure how objects are negotiated or read by screen readers and so forth.
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Please check these threads:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=55010
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18879
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...15&postcount=6

In short, there are blind people using DAW software and it looks like REAPER can be used with screen readers etc.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
MetricMike

He is totally blind so any tools to help the partially sighted would not be of any use to him. The sighted engineer assistant idea really isn't a practical solution either I am afraid. Any other ideas out there?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

I remember a while ago someone did work with the devs to make sure reaper work well with screen reader stuff.

Maybe schwa a developer will commment here it I mention his name (kind of like the Batman signal in the sky)
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
MetricMike

Thanks for the replies. I will check the other threads that Ollie suggested and see where we might go next.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Arbiter

I think it would be totally possible with the right hardware and screen readers. He may not quite get the full functionality that others might be able to, but I certainly think that it'd be easy enough to set up a few control surfaces to tackle the vast majority of basic tasks without needing to refer to the screen at all, especially with Reaper's custom actions and etc.
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote