Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
SEA
Human being with feelings

Default What Can Reaper Do???

Hey guys!

I'm giving reaper my ALL for doing ALL my production work and scrapping Cubase for the many... MANY reasons. I know, I know... but the time has come since I'm not using Windows 7 X64 and Cubase 5 well... let's not go there

So "Forgetting those things that are behind" (and pressing forward,) I would REALLY like to know what kind of COOL things you guys are doing with Reaper! I mean... I've never really done anything much with Cubase except cut and edit midi tracks like velocity, note length, etc.), and audio tracks (cut, copy, past, and punch) and then add some FX tracks and route them etc. Then on my master bus out I'd throw in 3 or 4 plugs etc. That's it! I never "Dove in" on all the things Cubase could do but NOW I'd like to know more about the advance stuff that some of you guys might use for Reaper.

So any cool things you want to share?

Thanks for the help!

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
JamesMK

Parameter modulation, hands down. Control any parameter with any audio signal, an LFO or any other parameter. That's my humble suggestion for the number one cool thing play around with.
JamesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
BMU

Also switched from Cubase. The thing I find with Reaper is I'm using some of its advanced features more than I did in Cubase, even things Cubase can also do, just because things seem easier to find & understand in Reaper.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMU View Post
Also switched from Cubase. The thing I find with Reaper is I'm using some of its advanced features more than I did in Cubase, even things Cubase can also do, just because things seem easier to find & understand in Reaper.
Can you elaborate on this please?

SEA

Old 12-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Mudcat

Fun things I am doing with REAPER: Crazy routing using sends receives & folder tracks. Modulating effect/track parameters as stated above.

Un-fun things I am NOT doing with REAPER: Continually rebooting the program because of frozen sessions. (I take that back - there have been a FEW times when running multiple high CPU plugins & high track-counts when I've managed to get REAPER to freeze, but it took a lot of effort).
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
bullshark

Recording directly to Wavpack while auto splitting the files and offsetting the file switch. A thing of beauty for rehearsal recording, would not want to use recording software without this.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMK View Post
Parameter modulation, hands down. Control any parameter with any audio signal, an LFO or any other parameter. That's my humble suggestion for the number one cool thing play around with.
Yes, this especially when in tandem with channel splitting and track routing ... makes for some great sound environments.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
captain caveman

A few cool things spring to mind.

Using the S&M MIDIReaRoute plugin to do all sorts of stuff with MIDI control using MIDI plugins (VST & JS). Example, using notes with a note-to-CC plugin to control transpose values in a JS plugin to have instant transposition of any tracks assigned to do so.

I have also just ditched Cubase (haven't installed it on "new" 64 bit OS (it's XP64)) and have now got a master Reaper controlling another instance of Reaper hosting an orchestral template via the ReaRoute driver. No paid-for 3rd party software required (just MIDI Yoke (donation-ware, I know)).

Project tabs. Having instantly switchable projects. Not crappy multiple projects that take ages to go between, but nigh-on instantaneousnessability. Great if you get bored easily.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
Sibben

Quote:
This. It's awesome what you can do.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #10
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMU View Post
+1 for that!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
sillyrobin

I have used protools, Reason, cubase and sonar. All have cool features
But are not as user friendly as Reaper.

If you get into it I would go straight to the action list. This lets you create custom keyboard short cuts. Its so flexable. If you get the hang of it. You’ll make the program work the way you want it to. Not the manufacturer outlining the way it works for you to understand.
sillyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
susbemol

Post less random questions in the forum and try and make some music instead? That should help a bit...

PS: Sorry, not feeling too well today.
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
cricket

Quote:
Yup. Fun fun stuff. Of course, other older DAWs have had it for awhile. But this is, in my opinion, very much an example of a feature, that I at least, found to work out much better and easier in Reaper than in other DAWs. It works so much better in Reaper in fact, it will coax you to do it more often since its so easy. In my opinion, its an improvement on both Audition and Sonars way of doing it. Holding CTRL and basically "drawing" your param mod is quite nifty. Yes, sir.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
cedrorum

For me, like others here, the most eye opening things to do relate to channel splitting and parameter modulation. I have to give a plug to ReaMix by Geoffrey Francis for helping me understand this more thoroughly than what the manual covered. It's opened up a whole other dimension to my mixes that I didn't realize could be there.
cedrorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
JamesMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Yup. Fun fun stuff. Of course, other older DAWs have had it for awhile.
Ah, should have known that. The last DAW I really used before Reaper was Dr T's KCS, about 20 years ago... hehe. So I'm very much out of the loop.

Another cool thing Reaper can do: ReaMote. While I'm absolutely sure other DAWs have distributed processing as well, the high performance and dead simple setup was a bit of a shock to me.

Just as a test, I set up my old laptop (single-core 1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Linux Mint) as a slave, and I honestly didn't expect it to be able to add anything substantial. Decided to do a stress-test, and was very surprised to end up with 26 tracks with one ReaSynth and one ReaDelay on each track, all processed by the slave laptop without any glitches. Insufficient network speed was the only thing preventing me from adding even more tracks. So, essentially any old POS box can apparently make a significant contribution. Will definitely use this for upcoming projects to take some load off the main machine.
JamesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by susbemol View Post
Post less random questions in the forum and try and make some music instead? That should help a bit...

PS: Sorry, not feeling too well today.
I've been working on my music all morning!

I ask questions to help me understand Reaper and get help so I CAN make my music for efficient and better! Not just for chit chat

Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
Sound asleep

Definitely playing around with features is good to get to know what you can do with a program, but i find with most things it's generally best to just begin with an idea of what sort of end result you want and then figure out how to get that. imo this is the best way to learn any sort of thing in the realm of creativity.

that said, what is this parameter modulation and what would be an example of how i could use it?
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
gwok

sws Project lists! totally rule!

xenakios interpolator

this:http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69222