Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
hypuk
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie MIDI File uestion

Hi Guys

I've downloaded a .mid file from the internet, imported it in to Reaper on different tracks. I'm totaly new to Reaper and totaly new to the field.

Is there a way to figure what each part of the file I.E which is the drums, synths etc, so I can apply a VST accordingly to each track?

Any help would be much appreciated

Mark
hypuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Mugai

The way to do it is to check the program change MIDI signals, which should be present at the very beginning of each track. These signals are used to tell a MIDI renderer which instruments to use for each track.

I don't remember exactly the procedure to display those, and I don't have REAPER in front of me, but you should be able to find it by right-clicking a MIDI item and looking through the options there. The key is to show the MIDI program change signals, and then you can look at those to find out which instrument the signal is requesting.

Please post back what you find out. In the meantime, I will update you once I find out the exact procedure for finding this out.
Mugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Mugai

This should do the trick:

1 - Import the MIDI file.
2 - Select the track you want to apply your instrument to.
3 - Right-click the selected track and open it in the inline MIDI editor.
4 - In the drop-down box on the left under the editor keyboard, select "Bank/Program Select".
5 - At the start of the track, there should be a vertical green bar with numbers next to it like 0-0-n, where n is the MIDI instrument ID. This is the MIDI instrument you want.
6 - Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_midi to find the instrument associated with the instrument ID.
7 - Rock out.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
hypuk

Yes that's worked a treat...I'm assuming to add a VST to it I click on FX?
hypuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Mugai

That's right; although if you're using the same VST instrument for multiple tracks (like SFZ, for instance), you will likely want to put the instrument on its own track (making sure you use the "virtual instrument on new track" (not sure on the wording) option), and set the MIDI tracks as sends to the instrument track.

But, if it's individual VSTi's you want to use, simply using the FX button should work fine.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
TimOBrien

Channel 10 is USUALLY the drums. (Not all midi composers will do this but that is one of the few standards)

There is no standard for any other instrument channel, but some composers will embed text on each midi track telling what instrument it is.