Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
kerryg
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper not being consistently recognized by Elgato StreamDeck

Hi folks. Wasn't sure how to report this, or what version it might have begun at (I'm on 6.29 but have no idea when this first cropped up as the Elgato is a recent addition).

Anyone seen this? Reaper runs fine with Elgato Streamdeck, but with all my other apps, my Streamdeck profile switches to whichever app is focused. If I click on Logic, the Logic configuration comes up; if I click on Ableton the Ableton configuration comes up.

But if I quit Reaper and restart it, the Streamdeck doesn't see the new instance until I go into the Streamdeck's preferences and reassociate it with that currently running instance of Reaper. Not a dealbreaker, but a bit tedious, and clearly not working as intended.

This is what it's telling me Reaper is presenting to it:

(By the way - this is in "post-failure" state. When I reassociate Reaper with it, it just looks like the other apps, showing "Reaper" in the Application dropdown and reaper's icon rather than a generic app icon with superimposed question mark. That just doesn't survive a restart of Reaper, which doesn't seem to be providing it a consistent app location or ID but rather something dynamic that changes between instances. It's consistent, all you have to do to reproduce it is quit Reaper and restart it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot small.jpg (64.0 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by kerryg; 06-13-2021 at 03:15 PM.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
But if I quit Reaper and restart it, the Streamdeck doesn't see the new instance until I go into the Streamdeck's preferences and reassociate it with that currently running instance of Reaper.
You might have some plugins that don't quit. Check task manager for any reaper.exe tasks. Bridged plugins (esp 32 bit run in 64 bit Reaper) don't always close in a timely manner or at all.

Should give you an idea of what's causing the issue.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You might have some plugins that don't quit. Check task manager for any reaper.exe tasks. Bridged plugins (esp 32 bit run in 64 bit Reaper) don't always close in a timely manner or at all.

Should give you an idea of what's causing the issue.
I should have mentioned I'm on a MacBook Pro (M1) running Big Sur and Reaper OSX64 rev12c62f - I checked Activity Monitor (our version of task manager) but can't see anything lingering. Behaviour is the same after rebooting anyway, so there's no chance a rogue plugin could have persisted.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
monocent

I've had a streamdeck working beautifully with Reaper for the last several months and it's become an integral part of my workflow.

Last night, upon installation of the newly released 6.39 Reaper update, the streamdeck's automatic profile switching suddenly stopped working for Reaper and Reaper only. All my other apps with auto switching profiles call up their configuration just as they always have.

I tried to fix the issue in several ways. After altering, deleting and reloading my streamdeck settings as well as rolling Reaper back one version and reinstalling 6.39, the problem appeared to resolve itself with one of several reboots of my system. On one occasion the streamdeck software displayed an error message similar to kerryg's in the first post of this thread.

Today after installing the 6.40 Reaper update, the auto profile switching is once again not working for Reaper alone. I've performed all the steps above as well as fully uninstalling an reinstalling the streamdeck software with no resolution. No amount of reboots have cleared up the problem as they appeared to with the 6.39 update.

I'm running a 2018 Mac Mini with Big Sur 11.6.1. Hoping someone out there has a soultion, a tip or just a similar experience. The streamdeck is a wonderful addition to a Reaper setup and I desperately want to get it working again.
monocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #5
CloseToTheEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
Hi folks. Wasn't sure how to report this, or what version it might have begun at (I'm on 6.29 but have no idea when this first cropped up as the Elgato is a recent addition).

Anyone seen this? Reaper runs fine with Elgato Streamdeck, but with all my other apps, my Streamdeck profile switches to whichever app is focused. If I click on Logic, the Logic configuration comes up; if I click on Ableton the Ableton configuration comes up.

But if I quit Reaper and restart it, the Streamdeck doesn't see the new instance until I go into the Streamdeck's preferences and reassociate it with that currently running instance of Reaper. Not a dealbreaker, but a bit tedious, and clearly not working as intended.

This is what it's telling me Reaper is presenting to it:

(By the way - this is in "post-failure" state. When I reassociate Reaper with it, it just looks like the other apps, showing "Reaper" in the Application dropdown and reaper's icon rather than a generic app icon with superimposed question mark. That just doesn't survive a restart of Reaper, which doesn't seem to be providing it a consistent app location or ID but rather something dynamic that changes between instances. It's consistent, all you have to do to reproduce it is quit Reaper and restart it)

Kerry, I am also having problems getting Elgato Streamdeck to recognize when reaper is opened or the active app and it fails to load my reaper profiles. I have three streamdecks and they have been great until about two months ago when they stopped profile switching. I have an open ticket with them and find Nick in technical support to be very responsive, but so far, they have been unable to recreate the issue on their test systems.

-Randy
Old 06-12-2023, 05:12 AM   #6
Birsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseToTheEdge View Post
Kerry, I am also having problems getting Elgato Streamdeck to recognize when reaper is opened or the active app and it fails to load my reaper profiles. I have three streamdecks and they have been great until about two months ago when they stopped profile switching. I have an open ticket with them and find Nick in technical support to be very responsive, but so far, they have been unable to recreate the issue on their test systems.

-Randy
How on earth can they not recreate it? On every single osx version, the focus on the Elgato stream deck does not work. Basically, you cannot recreate it only if you do not own a Mac. It's an old issue.

Last edited by Birsa; 06-12-2023 at 05:20 AM.
Birsa is offline   Reply With Quote