Old 11-21-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
dwightfry
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple Questions

Hi. Appreciate all you do for this site; it has been helpful over the years. Background - old guy trying to do new things. User for about 5-6 years. PC crashed last week, reloaded everything and somewhat good to go. Upon transferring, went to get Reaper license and discovered I would have to renew in a short time, so I just reloaded and paid the $60 or so. Figured I'd update. My interface is Steinberg UR44, same vintage. Not all of the issues are new so I guess some could be things I didn't know and maybe others due to upgrade.

1) I noticed recently with my interface, I have reverb always there in input one, a dry or "no fx" sound in 2, and a diminished "no fx" input sound in 3 and 4. How do I eliminate reverb in one, and how do I get the same level sound in 3 and 4? Shouldn't these be the same in all 4 inputs when dry? There is only one output level dial.
2) Using GST guitar amp classics, when I put the fx in, I only hear the fx in one channel, get a dry signal from the other.
3) When recording before my reload, I had no problems hearing fx when turned on during recording. Now I add fx like reverb and can't get anything with fx after arming record. (I do get the reverb on input 1, but that has to be from the UR44, right?
4) Is there a basic checklist to go through to square everything when you install Reaper - to go set you inputs, etc? Have I missed or forgotten something since my original download that is affecting these things? In addition to fx, panning doesn't work either, can't pan wit recording armed.
5) Am I monitoring something wrong, is there a setting to hear what I am recording that I have missed?
6) In general I don't really understand how the interface and software work together, or which one to go to first when there is a problem.

I'm a bit frustrated with my performance and troubleshooting here, and this forum has helped me a lot in the last few years. That said, I am nowhere near most of you folks in the "how do I find the answer" category, so I thought I would just try to write it all down. Thanks in advance for help.
dwightfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
dwightfry

Default Update

So confused now. After messing with solutions for these issues, I go away for an hour, come back and cannot get any playback on any recordings out of one channel. Switched the phones output jack and switched the phones out too. I'm digging a deeper hole.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #3
ErBird

First thing, have you installed / are you using the Steinberg DSP mixer? I believe most or all of your problems lie there.
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
bigtop

DSP mix is the software mixer that controls what goes on in your steinberg. You have added some FX onto various inputs of your steinberg. Have another look at the DSP mix user manual. Your input levels will be adjusted (I think) by the level knobs on front face of the steinberg. You can add or remove FX (I think) from channels ins/outs etc using DSP mix.

Sound from REAPER will be sent by default (probably) to steinberg monitor L/R channels.

The DSP mix user manual will help you sort this out. I don’t use steinberg but for me the Console user manual allows me to interface my UAD apollo system with REAPER. I think a little extra homework will bring great benefits.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #5
dwightfry

thanks, will get cooking
Old 11-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
ErBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightfry View Post
thanks, will get cooking