Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #41
wildschwein
Human being with feelings

I'm 4 DAWs in and I can say no DAW is easy to learn and you never learn every aspect of them -- it's a continual process. It's best to just get started recording, hit the wall with each problem, solve that problem and then proceed until you hit the next wall. Each issue can usually be solved by searching for the answer online. Eventually you build up the skills you need that work for you.
wildschwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #42
msore

Compare levels of complexity and ramps of learning.
Is songwriting easy? Or does it go in logical steps?
Using apps advertised to me, can I learn a language in a week?

Partly as a writer and partly as a user, I will vouch for the solid value of Reaper documentation and tutorials. They go from basic to detail. Great. They are both general and specific, and clearly labelled as such. Great. There are lots of learning resources AS NEEDED. Great. There are many instructive examples and many helpful suggestions, both in the documentation and in this forum. Great.

Does it go in one straight line? No.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #43
msea

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonsmith View Post
there is a lot of capabilities available and a lot of training but it's actually a bit disheartening and overwhelming.
I started quite a few years ago with https://www.kreatives.org/kristal/ and soon after jumped to Reaper. It has been very slow going, myself also coming from the push-button analog machines.

You have to think a bit differently and a bit the same. Different, for example, in that with the analog gear it was okay to have the meters bouncing into the red while recording. But with digital, this is a mortal sin! So I had to learn all about limiters, compressors... the whole bit. I am still learning and feel like a newb every time I try something like the VladG No 6 limiter, for instance.

But the people here are great and there are lots of them.

So do your search and if you can't find it, chances are some seasoned vet will be able to steer you in the right direction!

Reaper is the best in terms of being ultra-light on PC resources, along with fabulous stability and flexibility. I tried FL Studio and found it harder. LMMS is free but limited and a bit buggy.

Stick with Reaper! I always come back to it when I want max control over my work.
msea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #44
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
Using apps advertised to me, can I learn a language in a week? .
Great analogy.

Last edited by nicholas; 09-27-2022 at 05:09 AM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:13 AM   #45
youmaythinkitsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonsmith View Post
I just want to write, record, master and put out.
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but considering what you're looking for Reaper might not be what you're looking for. Reaper is like Linux of DAWs, it's super fiddly but once, if it's stable on your system, one gets over the insane learning curve it might be very powerful.

Surely, recording basics may be quite easy to learn, but have you considered working with someone who already knows what they're doing and who could take care of the process? You make this process sound almost comically straightforward, like you just record, then master your recording and then release. If you're a person and a guitar kind of thing, then this might almost work out that way at its simplest, but you do need at least some mixing there. Not to mention what actually happens inside each of these steps, that might not be that simple.

If you already know what you're doing and just need to adapt to digital environment from an analog one, sure you may get there quite fast. But if you're still in the process of learning concepts and how this all works in principal level, you're gonna have a long path ahead of you.
youmaythinkitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:12 AM   #46
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmaythinkitsme View Post
Surely, recording basics may be quite easy to learn, but have you considered working with someone who already knows what they're doing and who could take care of the process?
You make a good point.

When I took my first baby steps into digital recording I was bewildered by the software choices.

I settled on Cakewalk, solely because I had a friend who was using Cakewalk and who turned out to be a huge help in walking me thru it.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #47
msea

Quote:
But if you're still in the process of learning concepts and how this all works in principal level, you're gonna have a long path ahead of you.
You're basically talking about specializing (or the division of labor) vs. holism. We all do a bit of both. I may use Reaper and be happy to take the time to learn about mastering, etc. But I doubt I would ever learn how to actually make a VSTi or write specialized scripts.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #48
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Maybe because they have to "unlearn" a lot before thay can start learning?
I think so....I think Ed Rei called it Stockholm Syndrome as well.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #49
BenK-msx

Felt I was screaming into the wind regards not being a fan of the endless video tutorial train, nice to see so many posters with a grasp of the nature of learning complex stuff.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:35 AM   #50
youmaythinkitsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by msea View Post
You're basically talking about specializing (or the division of labor) vs. holism. We all do a bit of both. I may use Reaper and be happy to take the time to learn about mastering, etc. But I doubt I would ever learn how to actually make a VSTi or write specialized scripts.
That said, there are a lot of common denominators when it comes to digital audio. The basics are the same in recording, mixing and mastering outside specializing in either one of these.

But yes, learning the whole bunch takes a lot of time and effort. Thus, to get the best out of everyone, it makes sense to utilize comparative advantage on personal level.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #51
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
REAPER might not be the easiest to learn. I’m under the impression thought that it’s more difficult for people coming from another DAW than for folks learning their first.
I also think that's probably the case. People trying to unlearn their old DAW.

I tried a number of other DAWs and never got on with any of them. Reaper was the first one to feel mostly intuitive. Reaper was the one where I had to look at the manual the least. Oh well.

I guess it also depends on how sophisticated your production techniques are. We can all be talking at cross purposes because how people use these DAWs varies so dramatically, as does base levels of understanding approaching the DAW in the first place.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #52
redddog

I use REAPER like I use my brain: about 7% of what it is capable of. If you can come to grips with that, you'll be better off. I will say that the 7%, I do use came from Kenny, Mike(Lets Talk About Reaper) and the dude who does the new version vids.

Get it properly set up in the beginning and then go slow. You'll get to a place where you're good enough and build from there. I've yet to get to "good enough" but I hope to soon.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:41 PM   #53
DVDdoug

I'm NOT a REAPER Expert.

Yes... This stuff is difficult, especially if you are trying to learn the concepts and terminology while trying to learn a complicated application at the same time And if you are a musician you might not even WANT to learn the technical parts or recording, mixing & producing and that makes it even harder.

There is a community college that has classes for Anleton Live, Logic Pro, and Pro Tools (no REAPER). There is only one Ableton & Logic Pro class (one semester each) but Pro Tools certification requires 7 classes!!!
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #54
/AND/

Well, I jumped into Reaper from FL Studio 2-3 months ago. First thing I did was watch Kenny's introductory videos on the website. I'd rate these as very good. But I purposefully avoided watching his more advanced stuff until I rewatched the introductory ones 2-3 times.

That set me up for the general setup. After that, given my knowledge of FL Studio (which is VERY thorough), I was off. If I need to find out something, I search in the manual or watch a video. And that's it.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #55
msea

Quote:
That said, there are a lot of common denominators when it comes to digital audio. The basics are the same in recording, mixing and mastering outside specializing in either one of these.

But yes, learning the whole bunch takes a lot of time and effort. Thus, to get the best out of everyone, it makes sense to utilize comparative advantage on personal level.
On paper maybe but what if you pay some person to master your tracks and don't like their personal preferences about how a song should sound? I'd much rather just learn myself. But then again, I am just a hobbyist. If I were a pro, I guess I'd find someone in sync with what I wanted... and PAY!
Old 09-29-2022, 01:28 AM   #56
Hermetech Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by msea View Post
what if you pay some person to master your tracks and don't like their personal preferences about how a song should sound?
Any pro mastering engineer worth their salt will be happy to work with you to get a result you can both be proud of. That includes detailed communication/correspondence before the mastering begins, and the offer of free revisions (within reason) until you are happy. At least that's the way it works around here.

You aren't so much paying for the "personal preferences" of the engineer, as you are for their experience and monitoring, that will ensure shining the best light on the artist's intention/mix, with the best translation to a wide variety of systems.
Hermetech Mastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:36 AM   #57
youmaythinkitsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
You aren't so much paying for the "personal preferences" of the engineer, as you are for their experience and monitoring, that will ensure shining the best light on the artist's intention/mix, with the best translation to a wide variety of systems.
Speaking of mastering, while mixing defines style, mastering defines fidelity in terms of medium. Thus, personal preferences have much less impact on a master than they have on a mix.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:41 AM   #58
/AND/

Another comment I have on the topic:

Before diving in Reaper I did some work in Logic Pro. What I notice now is that Logic, Reaper, Cubase, ProTools and the like belong to a one set of DAWs, design-wise. What I mean by this is that they focus(ed) on emulating typical studio setup, with tracks, effect chains and the like. Some other, like FL Studio, aren't.

But if you had experience with any of the DAWs in the first group - or you had experience in a real recording studio - Reaper will feel like home, and you'll probably know immediately what to do and where to find stuff. You will notice that these all have a similar design concept.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote