Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-25-2022, 11:24 AM   #1
JonnyDee
Human being with feelings

Default Low latency using Audient ID 14 MK1 Interface

Hi,

I have used Reaper for two years to record and produce a podcast and can easily do everything I want to do with it.

But I also dabble in music and here's the problem. Latency. I know it's a common issue but trying to get a low enough latency so I can overdub - say a guitar - is driving me crazy.

Up until now I have had a Behringer U-Phoria 22 cheapy interface. It has one advantage - a direct monitor bypass button.

I have recently been gifted an Audient ID 14 MK1 unit and haven't got a clue where to start with it. It has no bypass to direct monitoring button. Is this feature hidden somewhere deep within the software?

I'm assured the Audient is vastly superior to the Behringer but it's driving me crazy. I've looked all over YouTube and can only find videos for the newer MK 2.

Could some kind soul steer me in the direction of a fix for this. Ideally, I want a workable latency figure to allow overdubbing in both real instruments and soft synths.

Thanks

PS I am the King of the Newbies when it comes to this kind of thing.
JonnyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
bigtop

Set up direct monitoring though the audient I’d mixer software. It’s explained in user manual.

Good luck
Old 11-26-2022, 05:43 AM   #3
Stella645

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loz5BJVpBII

This shows all settings of the iD software but basically it's as simple as opening it and turning up the fader for the channel you're recording.
(Mic 1 or 2).

Mk1 and Mk2 are going to work the same.

Then just be sure record monitor in Reaper is off.

But to be clear....this works for audio input only. Direct monitor can't help with soft synth playback, for that, you need to set lower buffer size and make sure you've not got high latency plugins loaded in reaper that will add to the system latency.

Last edited by Stella645; 11-26-2022 at 05:48 AM.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
JonnyDee

Hi folks,

Thanks for this. Have not been around since posting - so Stella 645, you just might have saved my life with your advice.

I had a feeling soft synths and other VSTs would mean tinkering around with buffer sizes. My laptop is not the highest of specs but will persevere nonetheless. messing under the bonnet freaks me out a little but realise it's the only way to learn.

Many thanks again. :-)
JonnyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #5
serr

If you just need to hear a live input and you don't need to "produce" it, use the direct monitor mixer in the audio interface to avoid having to dial the latency down on the computer/DAW for live real time sound.

If you need to dial something up for it to make sense like a guitar amp sim or play a MIDI instrument with a sound module plugin, then you need to monitor live through the computer/DAW. That leads to setting up for low enough latency to do so. ('Bypassing' the direct monitor in the interface.)

Baseline latency of the audio interface varies model to model. A faster interface leads to being able to hit your target latency for live audio work with a larger block size in the DAW. That leads to running bigger non zero latency plugins live and doing more in general. A slower interface leads to making up the difference with the computer and can be limiting.

Just to drive the point home. Low latency is only relevant for live audio work. Using a direct cuemix monitor feature in an interface for overdubs eliminates the live audio need in the DAW and lets you set the latency to "don't care" high.

Those Behringer interfaces have a very crude built in direct monitor feature. A balance know between DAW output and the live inputs, a stereo/mono switch, and a switch between inputs 1/2 vs all inputs. The digital inputs can not be monitored live with this. It all works in a pinch! Just not the DAW-like control panel you get with MOTU and other fancier units. You use the stock OS audio control panel to control the sample rate clock source (internal vs SPDIF vs ADAT).
serr is online now   Reply With Quote