Old 08-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Kramer
Human being with feelings

Default New Midi Issue

I've searched the forums, but cannot find anything regarding my specific issue and it's driving me crazy.

I record through a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 using reaper. I record drums through 5 pin midi connection to the Scarlett and use samples with ReaSamplOmatic5000. Recently I bought an 88 key midi controller and a new studio computer (windows 10). I am running the midi controller directly into the computer USB and it works great. The problem is that I cannot record my drums. Reaper allows me to select me interface for midi to use the drums as a controller, but I am getting no sound at all. It's almost like it's not connected, but it is.

I am at a loss here. I did all of the normal troubleshooting, but nothing is working. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
mschnell

In Reaper Preference, both Midi devices ("Scarlet", and "whatever keyboard" need to be visible and enabled.

Then you should be able to select either as Midi Input of a track.
Usually you would use two tracks for this.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
Kramer

Thanks, I got it figured out. It was the preferences. I had it set to Enable only and not Enable + Control. Ughhhh, to think of all the time I wasted looking. I looked at those preferences about 100 times and didn't see it, LOL. Thanks again for the reply.
Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #4
mschnell

Hmmm.
Enabling "Control" should not do any harm to the normal Midi stream. It only converts Midi CC messages to ReaperControlPath messages and hence clutters the ReaperControlPath with those messages which should be avoided if not necessary.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote