Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-25-2021, 12:30 AM   #1
abankier
Human being with feelings

Default I/O options unavailable in "Preferences" w/ RME Babyface Pro FS

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED, HOORAY!

Went ahead and installed a trial version of Ableton Live, and after configuring the Babyface Pro FS and it's I/O stuff, I noticed that Reaper had suddenly rediscovered the I/O info from the Babyface Pro FS and was able to record audio. No idea what happened, and I'm hoping I don't mess it all up again, lol. Big thank you to everyone who chimed in!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Howdy! First post here, so I thought this might be a good place for my issue.

I recently noticed that "audio device closed" had presented itself in the top right corner of Reaper despite my audio interface (RME Babyface Pro FS) and my microphone being attached and working as usual. I've also received an error stating that the ASIO driver was unable to load. I went to "Preferences" and saw that there were no I/O options available in the dropdown menus even when I had the box for "enable inputs" checked. I should also mention that I'm running the latest version of Windows 10.

I've since removed & re-installed all the drivers for the interface and did the same for Reaper, but to no avail. I'm fairly sure that I updated to the latest version of Reaper right after this, as well, and the problem has still persisted. I'm not sure what is causing this issue, though it is the first time that this has happened.

Web browser audio is also still routing properly through the interface and into my headphones, while my microphone is still clearly working as I can monitor it's levels in RME's TotalMix software. This has led me to believe that I've perhaps done something in Reaper that screwed things up.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated - especially as my partner and I need to use Reaper to record Voice Over for clients.

Last edited by abankier; 02-25-2021 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Problem Solved (for now...)
abankier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:25 AM   #2
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by abankier View Post
Howdy! First post here, so I thought this might be a good place for my issue.

I recently noticed that "audio device closed" had presented itself in the top right corner of Reaper despite my audio interface (RME Babyface Pro FS) and my microphone being attached and working as usual. I've also received an error stating that the ASIO driver was unable to load. I went to "Preferences" and saw that there were no I/O options available in the dropdown menus even when I had the box for "enable inputs" checked. I should also mention that I'm running the latest version of Windows 10.

I've since removed & re-installed all the drivers for the interface and did the same for Reaper, but to no avail. I'm fairly sure that I updated to the latest version of Reaper right after this, as well, and the problem has still persisted. I'm not sure what is causing this issue, though it is the first time that this has happened.

Web browser audio is also still routing properly through the interface and into my headphones, while my microphone is still clearly working as I can monitor it's levels in RME's TotalMix software. This has led me to believe that I've perhaps done something in Reaper that screwed things up.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated - especially as my partner and I need to use Reaper to record Voice Over for clients.

welcome to the forum !!

have you tried another driver-mode than ASIO..just by the time you fix your issue

Last edited by martmix; 02-25-2021 at 02:33 AM.
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
ivansc

Go to options/Preferences/Audio device and select ASIO.

This should show your Babyface as ASIO fireface USB and offer the standard set of inputs and outputs via drop down menu items.
If any of this doesn`t work, you either need to update your drivers and/or your firmware on the Babyface.

I have one of the original RME Babyfaces & I have only ever had issues with it when I have forgotten to do one of the above updates.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abankier View Post

Sounds like you might have all your ins / outs enabled as WDM devices in the RME driver control panel?
(But i'm on win 7 so i don't know if this is still a thing in win 10)

edit - I dunno about this actually - i think the babyface pro is completely multiclient capable, so it wouldn't matter if your ins/outs were in use elsewhere

Last edited by domzy; 02-25-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: probably wrong
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
abankier

Thanks for the quick replies, y'all!

So at this point I've also:

- Tried out all the other ASIO drivers via Reaper, and they seem to see the Babyface Pro just fine with the typical inputs and outputs I use
- Triple-checked to make sure that the all the RME firmware and software are up-to-date and that nothing is missing
- Just got off the phone with Synthax (licensed RME tech support here in the States), and we verified that there seems to be nothing wrong with the Babyface Pro, TotalMix, or the Fireface USB settings

I'm now moving in the direction of wiping the slate clean in terms of preferences in Reaper; this shouldn't be too much of an issue as I keep setting fairly simple so that my less-than-tech-savvy partner doesn't become overwhelmed with too many bells & whistles.

Please feel free to drop any more insight you might have, by the way. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Last edited by abankier; 02-25-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #6
abankier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
welcome to the forum !!

have you tried another driver-mode than ASIO..just by the time you fix your issue
Thank you for the warm welcome, by the way!
Hopefully the fix is something as simple as this.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
abankier

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
Sounds like you might have all your ins / outs enabled as WDM devices in the RME driver control panel?
(But i'm on win 7 so i don't know if this is still a thing in win 10)

edit - I dunno about this actually - i think the babyface pro is completely multiclient capable, so it wouldn't matter if your ins/outs were in use elsewhere
This is more or less my understanding. I've been able to run web browser audio, conferencing software like Zoom & Skype, and record via Reaper all at the same time without issue. I've been looking through Windows settings and feel I'm rapidly exhausting all my options.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
ivansc

Quick, crude way to eliminate a lot of possible errors would be to download reaper again only when you install it, check the "portable install" box after you hit the install button.
This sets up a new, factory fresh, separate install, in your C:\ drive unless you specify something different. IF it works OK in this new reaper, there is something in your existing reaper setup that needs fixing.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
abankier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Quick, crude way to eliminate a lot of possible errors would be to download reaper again only when you install it, check the "portable install" box after you hit the install button.
This sets up a new, factory fresh, separate install, in your C:\ drive unless you specify something different. IF it works OK in this new reaper, there is something in your existing reaper setup that needs fixing.
Oooooh, that sounds worthwhile!!!
Thanks for the tip! Gonna try that right now.

EDIT:
Just tried to do the portable install, and the original issue persists.

Last edited by abankier; 02-25-2021 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Update on troubleshooting actions taken
Old 02-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
abankier

Well, I just did a factory reset of Reaper after backing up what little customization in configuration I had. I'm still not able to see any I/O options in the dropdown menus for ASIO Fireface USB, so something is still rotten.

Will attempt to use my backup audio interface and perhaps even test out a new DAW, for the time being.