Thanks! Added...
Old 08-17-2022, 08:08 AM   #42
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
hi beth.

i'll post this in case it might be useful in the guide:

i'm down to the part about installing wine and yabridge, which i've never gotten to work before, and saw the bit about preventing updates to a package. in your pipewire section, you had the useful info about deactivating pipewire in case you didn't like it. i generally like to know how to get out of something before i install it on my system and found that inclusion to be very helpful.

once i got down to the wine/yabridge section, though, i saw the way to put a 'hold' on a package but noting about taking the 'hold' off, which got me curious and started me looking, hence, the post. here's the link to the post i found it in:

Code:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/164587/how-can-you-unhold-remove-a-hold-on-a-package
thanks,
babag
Yes, the process is called APT Pinning in the Debian world. Fedora has a similar set of tools that allow one to manage multiple distros, set repo priorities, include or exclude only certain packages from a repository, set packages as install only, etc. This is a more advanced topic, but it can be useful to know when trying to avoid package conflicts. I have determined learned an entire process for avoiding package conflicts that I use for my system. It's really useful us music production on Linux types, because we often have to go outside of the official repository to find the audio tools we need and use.

However, I would consider this to be less a topic for a simple setup guide, and more of an advanced user topic. That said, if anyone is interested, in knowing more about this topic, it may be useful.

I won't speak for Beth, she's intelligent and knows exactly what she wants in her guide. So it is entirely up to her. My only opinion on the matter is that beginners coming from the Windows world may struggle with such a foreign advanced concept.

Edit: I somehow missed that Beth already added this to her guide. Disregard everything I said.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:24 AM   #43
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I won't speak for Beth, she's intelligent and knows exactly what she wants in her guide. So it is entirely up to her. My only opinion on the matter is that beginners coming from the Windows world may struggle with such a foreign advanced concept.

Edit: I somehow missed that Beth already added this to her guide. Disregard everything I said.
Hehe. I suspect downloading a Linux ISO, doing a checksum, creating a USB stick image, accessing the BIOS boot menu (after figuring out they might need to disable secure boot) and figuring out whether you need a swap partition during install etc is already too much for most.

I've taken the approach that if a user has made it through installing a linux distro, they can take in things like pinning/holding a package Combined with my attitude that learning to use Linux should involve at least some getting your hands dirty on the command line, I suppose my guides are not for the faint of heart. I'm OK with that

Last edited by chmaha; 08-17-2022 at 08:29 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #44
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Hehe. I suspect downloading a Linux ISO, doing a checksum, creating a USB stick image, accessing the BIOS boot menu (after figuring out they might need to disable secure boot) and figuring out whether you need a swap partition during install etc is already too much for most.

I've taken the approach that if a user has made it through installing a linux distro, they can take in things like pinning/holding a package Combined with my attitude that learning to use Linux should involve at least some getting your hands dirty on the command line, I suppose my guides are not for the faint of heart. I'm OK with that
Old 08-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #45
norbury brook

May I ask if one were to use Ubuntu Studio whether all these things need to be done?

My impression is that they still need to be done, otherwise you'd just say to folk to use Ubuntu Studio

I'm about to dive in and am making a decision as to which ubuntu distro to go with as a base.

I'm using a 12900k laptop with a 3070 nvidea GFX card so i don't think I need to worry about using a 'light' desktop environment.... or would Xubuntu's Xfce be a snappier experience?

M
Old 08-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #46
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
May I ask if one were to use Ubuntu Studio whether all these things need to be done?

My impression is that they still need to be done, otherwise you'd just say to folk to use Ubuntu Studio

I'm about to dive in and am making a decision as to which ubuntu distro to go with as a base.

I'm using a 12900k laptop with a 3070 nvidea GFX card so i don't think I need to worry about using a 'light' desktop environment.... or would Xubuntu's Xfce be a snappier experience?

M
Don't worry about a light desktop environment. KDE Plasma is fantastic.

Ubuntu Studio is a great choice. I'm sure quite a lot of the guide is satisfied by the default install but it's worth double-checking to at least make sure you are satisfying the rtcqs output and that your USB interface is achieving the right priority when plugged in. I'd also highly recommend the Liquorix kernel.

I do say in my guide that Ubuntu Studio is a good (easier) way to go but also bear in mind that running through all the steps on a vanilla ubuntu/kubuntu-type distro is also well worth the entry fee as you'll learn quite a lot about things. I would also make a last-ditch attempt to sway you towards Manjaro or EndeavourOS as I think down the line you'd have a more pleasant experience. For me there was no going back after discovering the Arch package managers, AUR, default kernel goodness (perfect for audio work) and the rolling release.

In all seriousness, pick whichever distro you want and I'll be as much help as I can. Ubuntu Studio would be a fine choice. It's what I would pick if I ever moved back to Ubuntu-based.

Last edited by chmaha; 08-18-2022 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #47
norbury brook

Quote:
Don't worry about a light desktop environment. KDE Plasma fantastic.

Ubuntu Studio is a great choice. I'm sure quite a lot of the guide is satisfied by the default install but it's worth double-checking to at least make sure you are satisfying the rtcqs output and that your USB interface is achieving the right priority when plugged in. I'd also highly recommend the Liquorix kernel.

I do say in my guide that Ubuntu Studio is a good (easier) way to go but also bear in mind that running through all the steps on a vanilla ubuntu/kubuntu-type distro is also well worth the entry fee as you'll learn quite a lot about things. I would also make a last-ditch attempt to sway you towards Manjaro or EndeavourOS as I think down the line you'd have a more pleasant experience. For me there was no going back after discovering the Arch package managers, AUR and the default kernel goodness (perfect for audio work)
Beth,

thanks. I have already done a Manjaro install and got it all working, however... after installing Xubuntu for my wife I much preferred the deb thing as regards to installing software etc and also I liked the Xubuntu Xfce environment too better than on the manjiro setup.

I really am a Linux newbie so perhaps it's my inexperience that's showing here.

I'll have a think. obviously you have to like the environment you're working in so it makes a difference, hence people love OSX for that reason and hate windows.

Using reaper does tend to make one a little less fussy about these things though as it's looks are NOT it's best point LOL

M
Old 08-17-2022, 11:17 AM   #48
chmaha

Quote:
Beth,

thanks. I have already done a Manjaro install and got it all working, however... after installing Xubuntu for my wife I much preferred the deb thing as regards to installing software etc and also I liked the Xubuntu Xfce environment too better than on the manjiro setup.
In that case, you might consider a vanilla xubuntu then run simply install and run the Ubuntu Studio installer: https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer/

I assume this means following the steps of my guide a little more closely given I'm not sure if the installer would make config file changes but, like I said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

EDIT: Apparently the performance tweaks etc are added via the installer so you should be able to casually go through my guide and just change the odd setting that isn't satisfied by rtcqs as you feel is necessary. But, I will say that Liquorix is much better than the ubuntu low-latency kernel that is installed. But first, maybe try out various projects at required samplerate and blocksize and if all is well, don't bother changing anything further.

Last edited by chmaha; 08-17-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #49
norbury brook

fallen at the first hurdle.

There's no apparent way i can set my BIOS to boot from a USB drive

I've disabled secure boot but the only option I can find regarding booting is the internal drive.

I've tried the option to add a new boot but the internal drive is all that's available as an option.

Anyone?

M
Old 08-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #50
chmaha

Quote:

I've disabled secure boot but the only option I can find regarding booting is the internal drive.

I've tried the option to add a new boot but the internal drive is all that's available as an option.

Anyone?

M
Plug in your USB stick (I assume with Xubuntu or Ubuntu Studio), restart your machine then there should be a keyboard shortcut you can repeatedly press (F8 or similar) during the BIOS startup that will take you to a screen to select the USB stick. You'd need to look up the exact key in the internet if there's no help in the corner of the screen on starting up your machine.

Put another way, don't try to enter the BIOS. Just try to access the boot selection menu.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #51
babag

Quote:
i use ubuntu studio and am in the process of testing the installation process. i've gotten through much of the audio part on my way to what i thought might be the hard part, davinci resolve. i have all of this working well on 20.04 but thought it might be a good idea to move to 22.04 for the current resolve iteration.

the surprising thing to me has been how many issues i've run into before i've even gotten to the resolve installation. just yesterday i ran into something new, a bug that freezes on my login screen. apparently, a lot of people are experiencing this bug. to get around it, which sometimes works in my experience, you have to hold esc + shift during the boot process to get to a recovery mode and choose option 2. i don't ever see anything about recovery mode when i do that but it sometimes does allow me to get my keyboard working and log in. hopefully an update will fix this in the future.

my hardware is pretty old at this point. when i built it in 2014 it was pretty high end and continues to serve all of my needs easily, both audio and video. the os environment may be another matter, though, as it seems to be moving beyond what i'm using. it's possible, or even likely, that the issues i'm seeing are entirely related to this hardware environment. in the boot issue case, however, i'm not so sure.

as regards the original question, i've followed beth's excellent guide for all of the basic setup and it seems to work well. i'm installing on a drive that is separate from my main working system so i have no problem installing, reinstalling, and playing around, trying to find what's different in the new system.

i believe beth notes that some steps may not be necessary if you're using ubuntu studio. i decided to just follow her steps, regardless. all i found that happened in doing that was that, if ubuntu studio had already installed something, it posted a message to the effect that the requested packages were already the latest version and i moved on to the next thing in the guide.

sorry if this is long-winded. just trying to be thorough.
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #52
Glennbo

Quote:

Anyone?
On my Ryzen/Asus mobo I can hit Escape during the POST and get a boot device menu. In the BIOS is also a boot menu with the same list of devices, but I set the boot order to always try removable flash first, then DVDROM, then the internal NVMe, so normally I don't need the boot device menu.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #53
norbury brook

on this machine it doesn't matter if I enter the BIOS or direct to boot menu there is ONLY 1 entry and that's the internal drive windows boot manager.

The USB drive isn't available in any option.

this is a Rog Zephyrus m16 2022 model 12900k , 32 gigs DDR5, 3070 GFX card.

I've tried the drive in every available socket.

M
Old 08-17-2022, 12:25 PM   #54
babag

Quote:
...However, I would consider this to be less a topic for a simple setup guide, and more of an advanced user topic.
beth had posted the command to 'hold' updates. i just like to always know, when i turn something on, how do i turn it off, and posted that command. i was never suggesting a diversion into the deeper topic. just, here's how you 'hold' updates, here's how you 'unhold' them.

thanks,
babag
Old 08-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #55
audiojunkie

Quote:

Anyone?

M
I seriously doubt that a way doesn't exist. As long as the computer was built in this decade, these types of options should be available. I suspect it may be one of those situations where the option doesn't show up until you've set a particular setting and rebooted. That's often the case with the equipment we have at work. Don't give up yet.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #56
ForrestH

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013017/ — "The USB flash drive format must be FAT32" sounds potentially problematic
ForrestH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #57
audiojunkie

Quote:
on this machine it doesn't matter if I enter the BIOS or direct to boot menu there is ONLY 1 entry and that's the internal drive windows boot manager.

M
I'm absolutely certain it is there somewhere. Especially with ASUS. This is a standard operation these days. We just need to keep looking--we need to find he manual and the boot options
Old 08-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #58
Glennbo

Quote:

What happens if you repeatedly hit F2 or F8 right after powering up, at the bios screen?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #59
audiojunkie

@Norbury Brook

Try this:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013017/

If you aren't able to see the drive after this, then I'll suspect that your drive isn't formatted correctly.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #60
norbury brook

I found the problem, the drive was a 64 gig drive which is probably too big for fat 32 . I used a 16 gig drive and it appeared in the boot menu.

M
Old 08-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #61
chmaha

Quote:
I found the problem, the drive was a 64 gig drive which is probably too big for fat 32 . I used a 16 gig drive and it appeared in the boot menu.
Excellent but weird. FAT32 partitions are limited to 2TB and a max file size of 4GB so not sure what was going on. Onwards!
Old 08-17-2022, 02:14 PM   #62
norbury brook

Hmm I've just tried to put the Ubuntu studio ISO on this drive and same problem.

It seems I had to format as NTFS when writing the ISO had no choice using RUFUS

M
Old 08-17-2022, 02:38 PM   #63
chmaha

Quote:
Hmm I've just tried to put the Ubuntu studio ISO on this drive and same problem.

For future use, this is a great set of FAQ: https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/wiki/FAQ
Old 08-17-2022, 05:27 PM   #64
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestH View Post
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013017/ — "The USB flash drive format must be FAT32" sounds potentially problematic
How did I miss your thread?! We were on the same wavelength as far as our thoughts, but we somehow crossed our posts and I didn't notice your post. I think you are right on the money as far as this being a potential problem.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #65
audiojunkie

Quote:

M
Hey! I'm glad you figured it out!
Old 08-17-2022, 05:29 PM   #66
audiojunkie

Quote:

M
Rufus shouldn't do that. It should use write whatever the file system of the ISO has--or maybe I'm remembering wrong. It wouldn't be the first time for me.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:33 AM   #67
Codesound

Linux Mint 21 Cinnamom_x64

Thanx! This is an amazing guide!

I try to install qpwgraph but the terminal response is:

codesound@codesound:~$ sudo apt install qpwgraph
[sudo] password for codesound:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package qpwgraph

How can I fix it?

Thanks in advice....
Codesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:36 AM   #68
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codesound View Post
E: Unable to locate package qpwgraph

How can I fix it?
Ah, thanks for pointing this out. It looks like it is only in 22.10 repos. Could you install via flatpak for now?:

Code:
flatpak install flathub org.rncbc.qpwgraph
Old 08-18-2022, 02:12 AM   #69
norbury brook

Quote:
Rufus shouldn't do that. It should use write whatever the file system of the ISO has--or maybe I'm remembering wrong. It wouldn't be the first time for me.
Actually for anyone else in future , there are 2 ways of writing the ISO file and the standard way meant the drive wasn't seen , on a modern machine you have to use the 'DD' method.

M
Old 08-18-2022, 02:19 AM   #70
Codesound

Quote:
Ah, thanks for pointing this out. It looks like it is only in 22.10 repos. Could you install via flatpak for now?:

Code:
flatpak install flathub org.rncbc.qpwgraph
WOW! thanx for your quick response!
It's works via flatpak thanx.....

I have to thank you. thank you for your work!
Codesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:20 AM   #71
chmaha

Quote:
Actually for anyone else in future , there are 2 ways of writing the ISO file and the standard way meant the drive wasn't seen , on a modern machine you have to use the 'DD' method.
I reserved use of Rufus for making Win10/11 sticks. But, obviously it is the recommended program to use by Ubuntu when escaping Windows. However, I'm not convinced that your conclusions are necessarily so black and white: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...write-warnings and https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/wik...y-dd-is-better

If it were simply an old vs modern system thing, I'd expect the creator of rufus and Ubuntu documentation to say something along those lines. More likely it is the ISOHybrid image + chosen partition scheme + your own particular BIOS coming together in weird and wonderful ways. As far as I'm aware, only Manjaro and PopOS require DD mode and apparently rufus will do that by default. The downside being that to inexperienced users it looks to all intents and purposes that 1) the writing failed because Windows can't read the resulting stick given it uses a native Linux file system and 2) the drive looks to be far smaller than the real capacity. Cue confused and upset users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codesound View Post
WOW! thanx for your quick response!
It's works via flatpak thanx.....

I have to thank you. thank you for your work!
No, thank you! I've added the flatpak command to the guide (along with note that to install qpwgraph using apt you need a distro that pulls from at least Ubuntu 22.10 or Debian 12 repos.

Last edited by chmaha; 08-18-2022 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #72
babag

Default ubuntu studio partitioning?

so, here's a question. i'm upgrading from ubuntu studio 20.04 to 22.04. i have a fresh drive and have done a couple of test installs to see how things would go. i'm pretty much ready to finalize things but have run into a snag. maintaining all of my settings and such from the old 20.04 setup is a pretty major hassle.

when i set up 20.04, i must have just accepted the default setup from the install disk. for ubuntu studio, that seems to mean one big partition which, in turn, means a lot of copying to get the home directory over to the new setup.

for the future, it occurs to me that having a dedicated /home partition would eliminate that issue as i could leave it untouched during the install and just install the / files and directories on their own partition(s).

the drive in question is a 1tb ssd. what partition scemes are people using for ubuntu (studio)? is a swap partition still necessary? i do seem to have a boot partition. how much space should be allocated for the various partitions? i'm seeing precious little online on this subject that's ubuntu studio specific.

thanks,
babag
Old 09-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #73
fabio77

Quote:
for the future, it occurs to me that having a dedicated /home partition would eliminate that issue as i could leave it untouched during the install and just install the / files and directories on their own partition(s).
Theoretically yes. I did this a few times. But I found it to be more conveniant to do a fresh install of all partitions. Because there are so many files and configs of programs you maybe installed just for testing, that a clean install could be better sometimes.
I rather try to make a good documentation about my setups, including as much terminal commands as possible (installing all the software, tweaks, fstab and so on), so that I can do almost all my setup in just copying commands to the terminal. Then I add some explanation to my documentation, for those things I have to do manually.

Quote:
the drive in question is a 1tb ssd. what partition scemes are people using for ubuntu (studio)? is a swap partition still necessary? i do seem to have a boot partition. how much space should be allocated for the various partitions? i'm seeing precious little online on this subject that's ubuntu studio specific.
First, do you dual-boot or is it linux only? [EDIT: And do you make an efi installation or legacy bios? Because with efi I don't have experience and you should research about the need of a /boot partition with the efi installation. So, what I refer to is in general, but regarding the /boot partition I only relate to a bios installation.]

In general you just need one partition, and this is root (/) (+swap if you want to).
My biggest used size of root was 22 GB. But with all that snaps, flatpaks and appimages, that now get popular, this could rapidly grow. So at my last installation I made a 48 GB root-partition. And I heard people suggesting even 60GB minimum. But that depends on your software. As I said, I never used over 22GB yet, and this was 5GB of DaVinci Resolve, that I wanted to test on linux.
My /home partition was never above 90 GB of size. But this is, because I have a dual-boot and I have another 1TB of space in NTFS, that I could access from both systems.
For swap I don't use more of half size of my RAM, that is 16GB of RAM and 8GB swap. A few years ago I used it to set my system in hibernation (freeze). But now I keep it just in case. And if you have even more RAM than I have, I would not use more swap than 8GB. And this depends of your usage. If you never get your RAM to the limit, then there is no need for a swap partition.
The /boot partition is only needed if you want to create an encrypted filesystem, to have one partition for your bootloader (e.g. grub). And it needs no more than 500MB. [see above regarding efi install]

So all together:
- /boot (500MB - and only needed for encrypted system)
- / (minimum 30GB - better up to 50GB or even 60GB)
- swap (8GB maximum in my opinion)
- /home (rest of the harddrive if linux only) (/home is not necessary - but I still have it, just to have a better overview of the sizes of / and /home)

Last edited by fabio77; 09-02-2022 at 02:20 PM.
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:35 AM   #74
babag

thanks, fabio77.

what you've recommended looks very similar to what i ultimately wound up doing. great to have confirmation that i was on the right track.

i also do the same as regards keeping a list of bash commands. i copy my '.bash_history' file and edit and annotate it to give myself a guide for re-installation. very good suggestion. i suppose the next step would be to automate it by turning it into an actual installation script.

thanks again,
babag
Old 09-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #75
fabio77

Quote:
thanks, fabio77.

what you've recommended looks very similar to what i ultimately wound up doing. great to have confirmation that i was on the right track.
That's great.

Quote:
i also do the same as regards keeping a list of bash commands. i copy my '.bash_history' file and edit and annotate it to give myself a guide for re-installation. very good suggestion. i suppose the next step would be to automate it by turning it into an actual installation script.
That was the beginning of my "documentation" I also wanted to make some kind of installation script. But over time I realized, that there will ever be some changes. In the ideal case, the installation should remain for years, and there might be some new programs or other things to add. So I just keep the commands in a proper order and a long line of programs I install or remove, that I update, when I find something new or something better.

I wish you much fun I enjoy it mostly to make a new installation and clean up my system.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #76
pax-eterna

I am running RT Kernel 5.19 (afaik, the latest), in Beths guide it is noted there is an extra step in part 5, "or, for kernels < 5.9"

Should that be 5.09?
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #77
pax-eterna

Also, and I may be misunderstanding how it works, but Pipewire is not listed as an option in Reaper audio settings?

It still shows Pulseaudio and Jack as the options.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #78
fabio77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
I am running RT Kernel 5.19 (afaik, the latest), in Beths guide it is noted there is an extra step in part 5, "or, for kernels < 5.9"

Should that be 5.09?
I think you're relating to the manjaro-guide? https://github.com/ElizabethHarmon/ManjaroProAudio

Then this thread would be the right to post your questions: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255313

But to answer: "<5.9" means older kernels with version-numbers lesser than 5.9. You can ignore this, while you're running a 5.19 kernel.

Quote:
Also, and I may be misunderstanding how it works, but Pipewire is not listed as an option in Reaper audio settings?
Pipewire handels the audio on the system-side. So you can choose Jack or Alsa (or pulseaudio) in Reaper, and pipewire does the rest.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:39 PM   #79
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio77 View Post
I think you're relating to the manjaro-guide? https://github.com/ElizabethHarmon/ManjaroProAudio

Then this thread would be the right to post your questions: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255313

But to answer: "<5.9" means older kernels with version-numbers lesser than 5.9. You can ignore this, while you're running a 5.19 kernel.

Pipewire handels the audio on the system-side. So you can choose Jack or Alsa (or pulseaudio) in Reaper, and pipewire does the rest.
Thanks.

But one point - 5.9 IS higher than 5.19...it's why I asked if it should be 5.09 which is LESS than 5.19

I'm ignoring it anyway as I know I'm running the latest, but it might be a typo, that tbh, is confusing.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #80
fabio77

Quote:
Thanks.

But one point - 5.9 IS higher than 5.19...it's why I asked if it should be 5.09 which is LESS than 5.19

I'm ignoring it anyway as I know I'm running the latest, but it might be a typo, that tbh, is confusing.
No, 5.19 is higher. The kernels are versioned 5.0 -> 5.1 .. -> 5.9 -> 5.10 .. -> 5.19

So kernel 5.9 is actually what you count 5.09, yes. But it's not a typo.

EDIT: There were times, when kernel-versions were counted up to 3.46 and maybe higher. Now Linus Torwalds often decides to make the new "point-release" versions earlier. But it probably would be more consequent and less confusing, when new point-releases would start after every X.9-release. I don't know which criteria Linus Torwalds takes for this decisions. Maybe he waits until the development reached some major steps and merits a new version.

Last edited by fabio77; 10-15-2022 at 01:01 PM.