Old 07-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Harley Maxwell
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Factory Reset

Have been trying for the past few hours to find a way how to make reaper go back to factory settings because I have been trying to do some parallel prepossessing and some of my pre/post fx settings were changed and now those settings are affecting me now to do the work that I need, and I cannot find those settings in the Control settings.

I have already done some research on trying to find a solution to the problem but just to find useless information on how to change only the appearance, and I am pretty sure re downloading reaper will not fix the problem either. If someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Harley Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
bladerunner

Go to (on windows) User > appdata > Roaming > REAPER. Then, delete the file 'REAPER.ini' - when you next start reaper it will recreate the .ini file with the factory settings.

Be aware though - you will have to reset pathways to plugins etc. and do a rescan. You will also lose anything you've changed in the preferences.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
richie43

If you don't have a portable installation, there should be an option in your Windows start menu to start with default settings. If you do use a portable installation, then rebuilding the ini file is the way (but it will be in whatever location you have your portable installation in).
Old 07-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
Harley Maxwell

I have searched through the REAPER folder and could no find the .ini file. Is it in the folder right when you click on the REAPER folder, or is it suppose to be in one of the sub-folders? Can't find it. Is there another way to reset Reaper to factory settings other than deleting the ini file?

Thanks for the response.

Last edited by Harley Maxwell; 07-23-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Maxwell View Post
I have searched through the REAPER folder and could no find the .ini file. Is it in the folder right when you click on the REAPER folder, or is it suppose to be in one of the sub-folders? Can't find it. Is there another way to reset Reaper to factory settings other than deleting the ini file?

Thanks for the response.
Did you read my post just above your last post?? I gave you a way to do this.....
But if you want to do it by deleting the ini file, re-read the way to do that, the location is in the post.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
I have searched through the REAPER folder and could no find the .ini file.
It's in the REAPER main folder. Also accessible via Options -> Show REAPER resouce path in explorer/finder.

But if you have the file extensions hidden you won't see the .ini shown at the end of the file name.

Quote:
Is there another way to reset Reaper to factory settings other than deleting the ini file?
See the post from richie43.

In case you are using a portable install, try this (under Windows)

(1) Create a shortcut to the Reaper.exe (and rename it to something like 'Reaper reset config')
(2) Right-mouse-click on the shortcut -> Properties
(3) In the Target field add -resetconfig at the end: Target: REAPER-install-folder/reaper.exe -resetconfig
(4) Hit [OK] to save the change. Then launch the shortcut

Last edited by solger; 07-24-2016 at 12:56 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:23 AM   #7
ivansc

Do what Richie said.
In Windows 10 the actual procedure is that you left click on the Win symbol (bottom left corner) and go to All Apps.
Get to the reaper folder,click to open it and one of the options is indeed to reset everything.
It has always been possible to do this unless you only have a portable install.

Oops forgot to say that if you want to keep your existing setup, for comparison purposes, you can download Reaper again and when you install it check the box that asks if you want to do a portable install. This will set up a completely separate self-contained second install.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
the location is in the post.
(grin) this exact phrase is the UK equivalent to "The location is in the mail"
Old 07-24-2016, 04:25 AM   #9
Harley Maxwell

I apologize if I didn't understand what your post said richie, I am certainly no tech wiz and it was complected for me to find the file, I was able to rest Reaper back to factory setting by going through all apps and finding the reaper folder, there was indeed an option that said "configuration factory rest".

I guess it would have been better if I had posted what operating system I was using, sorry chaps. But thank you all who replied in helping me with my problem.

If you are interested to hear what I am doing with reaper, check out my bandcamp page by clicking this link!

https://galacticwanderer.bandcamp.co.../lifes-journey
Old 07-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #10
ivansc

Quote:

I guess it would have been better if I had posted what operating system I was using, sorry chaps.
(roflmao) ....which you STILL didnt do! Are we to assume you are one of those appliance operators using an Apple Mac, then?
IF so, we certainly gave you a TON of useless advice, didn`t we?

Still and all, glad you got it figured out eventually....
Old 04-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #11
saberreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Do what Richie said.
In Windows 10 the actual procedure is that you left click on the Win symbol (bottom left corner) and go to All Apps.
Get to the reaper folder,click to open it and one of the options is indeed to reset everything.
It has always been possible to do this unless you only have a portable install.

Oops forgot to say that if you want to keep your existing setup, for comparison purposes, you can download Reaper again and when you install it check the box that asks if you want to do a portable install. This will set up a completely separate self-contained second install.
I registered just to say THANK YOU. This helped tremendously. Cheers
saberreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #12
pepe44

Just adding some info

if by any reason the reset to factory doesn't show in the windows menu , do a re-install and thick the option that say "start menu shortcuts"
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote