Old 04-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
ChuckkH
Human being with feelings

Default [5.974] No MIDI routing between tracks

Forgive me for this; it's obvious that I don't understand how this is supposed to work; but I have read all relevant parts of the manual and a few tutorials, and I can see nothing strange about what I'm trying to do.

This screenshot should say it all. I want to send MIDI from track 4 to track 5, so I create a send, turn off audio, and set MIDI All->All. The track has MIDI playing, and none is sent.
I know this is not how most people use MIDI and multiple instance of ReaSamplOmatic to put drums on different channels (the tutorials I've seen put all the samplers on one track and route audio to different tracks), but I wanted to do it this way.

If routing MIDI between tracks doesn't work here, I clearly don't understand how it should work; but this is confusing me because I have read how it should work and 1. this seems like it should work, and 2. I can't fathom why it wouldn't.
Clicking the MIDI cable / DIN-5 button in the Send doesn't make any difference. There is MIDI activity on track 4 and none on track 5. Why?

Thank you!
-Chuckk
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper-no-MIDI-send.png (49.0 KB, 109 views)
ChuckkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

If you want to send from a track to a child of that same track, you need to enable feedback routing in File > Project settings.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Philbo King

The output of Reasamplomatic is audio.
Try moving your RS5K plugin to track 5
Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
ChuckkH

I'm trying something similar now routing multichannel audio, and it seems that the output of various FX, set to different outputs in the plugin pin connector, is not sent with the track channel routing. E.g., if I set the 2 outputs of an FX to channels 3 and 4 with the pin connector and then route audio channels 3 & 4 from that track to another track, the audio output from the FX is not among the audio sent to the other track. Seems the same with MIDI.
Why?
Old 04-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
JohnnyMusic

Default It can be done

Hi Chuck,
I know this can be done cause I use a set up where I have reasamp5000 on each track with a track for each drum (kick on one, snare on the next, etc), with all the midi data on one track. I like it this way cause as I am tweaking a drum I can work with the effects and the sample at the same time, but can edit the whole kit all in the one midi track.
I thought there was a video on this at one point but I can't find it.
I saved it as part of a template so don't remember all the routing right now but I can look at my set up and describe how I have it set up if you like.
I do know I don't have the individual drum tracks as child tracks of the midi track like your screen shot.
Make the midi track a nonfolder track with all the other drum tracks, then put the midi track and the drum tracks in a parent track. That way you will avoid the issue schwa brings up with feed back issues, i believe. The midi will go from your midi track to each drum track then to the parent folder.
I'll look at my set up and give you more detail.
John
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

The correct answer is in post number 2...
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
ChuckkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If you want to send from a track to a child of that same track, you need to enable feedback routing in File > Project settings.
It all makes so much sense now, thank you! I'm a little worried now about blowing my eardrums.

Strange that Reaper allows me to set up all of that potentially feedback-inducing routing without any warnings, and it all shows up exactly as it ought to if it were working; it just stops the actual signals until I change that setting that isn't available from any of the routing windows.
Still, amazing, all of it!
Old 04-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
JohnnyMusic

Chuck
Did you get it working the way you want?
I checked my set up and it was how i described.
I don't have to enable feedback routing the way I am doing it and it works fine.
I use the one track with master parent send disabled to record midi and then all midi channels are routed to each separate drum track, where I have reasamplomatic (set to a unique key on my midi controller), then any effects I want on each track. In the same folder I have a bus for parallel compression and for effect (ambience/reverb). I send audio from each drum that I want to compress or effect to the appropriate bus. That way if I adjust the entire drum kit, the amount of parallel compression and effects stays at the correct relative level.
John
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote