Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-21-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
e_e
Human being with feelings

Default Media Explorer view toggle resets search query

Hello everyone , there might be some info on this but I could not find anything useful. It seems to me impossible that no one has encountered this issue before.
When I am editing and looking for materials on the media explorer(which works wonderfully overall) I have the following issue, I search for example a certain sound in my library , a snare for example or a footstep in sound for video editing, I toggle media explorer out of view to have more room on my screen to edit, then let's say after editing the sound does not work, I hant to try another one. When I reopen my media explorer window, my search is gone and I have to make a time consuming, system demanding new seaarch of the library and then look for similar sounds. Is there a way to avoid this ? making the toggle into and out of view of the media explorer not reset my search every time ?
Otherwise it seems to be a compromise of only editing with the media explorer opened or importing all sounds without testing and hope for the best.

Please let me know if any of you has come to a similar scenario and options/workarounds to this.

Thanks
Regards
Seb
e_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
xpander
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_e View Post
I search for example a certain sound in my library , a snare for example or a footstep in sound for video editing, I toggle media explorer out of view to have more room on my screen to edit, then let's say after editing the sound does not work, I hant to try another one. When I reopen my media explorer window, my search is gone and I have to make a time consuming, system demanding new seaarch of the library and then look for similar sounds.
Unfortunately closing the Media Explorer will reset the search, so the Media Explorer can't simply be toggled off/on without losing it.

One way to go around this limitation is to drag the docked Media Explorer as small as possible without closing it. This might not be enough though and is kinda hassle to go dragging back and forth.

Another way is a bit tricky and is not guaranteed to work always. There is an action View: Show docker (default shortcut ALT + D). If you use this action, Media Explorer will hide and when you use it again, you'll get it back and the search is still there too. Problem is, if you have other dockers open, they will also open/close the same time using this action. So if you e.g. want to have the docked Mixer always visible, you'll have to open it separately (View/Mixer or CTRL + M) after using ALT + D to hide the dockers. Also, if you have now brought the Mixer visible again and then use ALT + D to show the Media Explorer, what actually happens is that the Mixer goes hiding first! You'll have to hit the ALT + D the second time and then you get the Media Explorer back.

Another thing to remember with this is that if you use screensets or other show/hide actions in the meanwhile, you won't get the Media Explorer back anymore with your previous search still intact.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote