Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
kamalmanzkie
Human being with feelings

Default i think these stand as pretty fair demos of what the volca keys can do

they are only 150$ you cannot afford to not have one! all instrumentation is volca keys, the drums are volca beats samples i found online (all with snare capacitor mod) https://soundcloud.com/an-colonel-aronson/synthpop-2 https://soundcloud.com/an-colonel-aronson/synthpop-1
kamalmanzkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
bladerunner

Nice, although I would love to hear a mixed version (with everything separated) and the drums a lot louder. Reminds me of stuff you would hear from the Rephlex label in the 90's. I have a keys and it is a great little synth - really versatile.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
kamalmanzkie

my friend said close to the same thing, but i chalked it up to his being a drummer (and my chronic malingering). mixing is probably my worst fitting hat, one mix the other day i heard on my office speakers and it sounded like how a kindergartner might have done it

but thanks man, that's a badass compliment. both of those have rough ideas about vocals and finishing less abruptly. if i remember i think i mixed the first one center to feel more like a slap in the face. n e way seeing your rates.. maybe you'd be interested in doing it once those few are ready with vocals? just hearing them a/b with originals would probably learn a lot.

yeah, i'm really impressed with korg lately and i'm actually a bit conflicted about which piece of their gear i'm going to order next.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
bladerunner

Hey Yeah I would love to mix it if you felt you wanted to get it mixed professionally at some point. Get in touch anytime. I have a lot of experience with electronic/electronica production (having released a fair amount myself on about 9 or 10 labels as Boc Scadet in the past - Toytronic records, Sunseasky to name some) - I've done mastering for folks like FSOL, Plaid, Richard Devine in the past too.

I love those little Korgs - great fun to play with - always manage to get a nice idea going within a few minutes. I wouldn't mind getting the drum version - it has a 'tight' sound that I like.

Just followed you on soundcloud btw - I'm CSAudio on there - my mixing/mastering sc.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
kirk1701

Those Volcas really are great sounding synths. If you're into electronic music, there's no better deal out there apart. Arturia is a close second in terms of value for money.

Those are some great sounds. With the right mixing, the average listener wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Volca and say a Minimoog.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
kamalmanzkie

i'll be damned if i didn't type this all up the other day just for my computer to piss me off enough to give it the vulcan death pinch reboot:

the beats is cool, though people say its missing a capacitor for the snare noise, but luckily there is an empty spot on the board to solder it in. people like the bass cause its like a 303, but i'd rather have a monotron and then one of those little bits synth kits which can be expanded one 20 dollar filter or oscillator at time... (seriously check that out if u haven't) really i can't say enough good things about korg, its like everything a person might wish those old synth companies would do, they do, and more affordably than any other company would want to admit is possible. i bet roland feels pretty lame. the keys is still finding ways to surprise me, especially realizing how its limitations can be overcome with midi.

so just to be clear, is the rate per song? i'd need to clean things up a bit and hash out an appropriate ending for both, which given my pace would probably line up pretty well with payday in about under three weeks, at the very least for one of them
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 AM   #7
bladerunner

Sent you a PM kamalmanzkie.