Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-06-2021, 10:43 PM   #1
Adam.Guzaitis
Human being with feelings

Default Tracks not aligning together during recording

Here’s my situation. I’m currently using Reaper to mix a full church band to send to another computer for livestreaming. The signals are first run in to a Yamaha M7CL mixer, mainly just using the mixer for their preamps, then outputted using Dante into an isolated room, then into a multitrack on Reaper. I have put EQ, compression, Reverb, etc., on all tracks as necessary, pretty much turning the live performance into a recording session. The master buss is then outputted to a different computer where it’s mixed with video and sent to Facebook Live and Youtube

This past Sunday was the first time to use the new Dante rig for a livestream. I’m pretty much the only person at the church with an ear and knowledge of mixing, and since I’m also on stage playing guitar, I recorded the entire service for me to later mix it to have a better processed mix for next week. But during recording, I was told by someone monitoring the recording that several of the vocals were very delayed in relation to the instruments. They were singing almost a full second behind the instruments. This was very much displayed on the livestream. When I went to play back the recording, this delay was no longer the case

My first thought on the issue was because of the amount of processing for each track. Instruments really just got a basic EQ and compression, with a touch of reverb here and there, but vocals had all of the previous, but also delay, vocal tuning, etc, and different levels of latency occurred due to different amounts of processing plugins.

If this is the case, is there a way to maybe cause intentional latency at the master buss, maybe a “Let’s get everyone together before being sent on our mission to the livestream” and time align the video and audio at the other computer, or could this be a different problem altogether?
Adam.Guzaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
Philbo King
Human being with feelings

Reverb and delay will always add a lot of latency in a live stream. So will ReaFIR noise reduction, and lots of other plugins.

If I were doing live streaming, I'd try to use realtime hardware for reverb and delays, perhaps setting up the mix console to use its internal FX, or maybe put together a rack of external FX that you could insert into various mixer inputs.

You might check this forum for tips on using Reaper live:
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55