Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #41
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings

Cool. Ok, let me get this out... I'm not exactly a Queen aficionado - saw 'em once, don't own any records, never played any of their tunes. But I'm liking this tune a lot. Here's my issue - and this isn't a usual issue for me. I'm finding that every time I go thru thus tune, many if the chess lend themselves to a lot if possibilities - "is this supposed to be an Eb or Gm7? Is this an Fm7 or an Eb maj7 sus4 + 9? A Cm7 or Eb6?" You get the idea. I can hear so many possibilities for interpretation, and without a clear definition, I may be coming up with some weird inversions. I never heard this tune before, and I want to keep it that way - so as not to automatically copy certain aspects if original. But can someone shoot me the preferred chord changes, please.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #42
Jorgen

I posted this to Morgon, I took them out by ear, haven't looked at the sheet music, if there is any... But the changes sound okay to me, so here goes:

Now those changes... I have a capo on the third fret, it's simpler for me to say C than Eb -alright...? So... 2/4 time...

C/G/Am/Am
C/C/Dm/Dm
G/C/G/C
G/Am/Am/Am/Am

Dm/A7/Dm/C
F/F/C/F/C
FC/FC/
G/C/G/C
G/C/G/G

C/G/Am/Am
C/C/Dm/Dm
G/C/G/C
G/Am/Am/Am/Am
GC.

Sorry you have to do some transposing from C to Eb, Boot... but I hope that wont cause any big problems. It's mostly triads, but feel free to throw in any notes you see (hear) fit. Mercury was a very fine composer, indeed. Fact is, I'm pretty certain I've never heard anyone do a cover of a Queen song, so that's pretty cool in itself. God knows where this will take us - I'm pretty excited about it, AND it's an educational thing for me, too. Queen is pretty complex, to say the least, and it's cool to try to do something like this, for me. Pushing my boundaries, so to speak.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #43
ReaperMadness

Great. Thanks.

I'm out at my away-from-cottage Wi-fi access now. I'm going to go back and see how close I was with the changes that I've already worked out.

I agree with this being an interesting excercise, at the very least. But, of course hope it develops into something more (it will).

Whether or not my initial chord changes are correct, I may post what I've been working on. It's a simple version of the melody in the right Hand with a counterpoint in the left - sounds pretty cool. And my "capo" is the transpose-knob on my little keyboard. But I won't need that, my theory and knowledge of structure's pretty solid. It was just with no absolute defined bass, etc. the changes could accept many variations, and I didn't want stray too far off.

We'll get it. This is fun.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote