Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-13-2020, 03:27 AM   #1
paulbee
Human being with feelings

Default [SOLVED] Can't see Carla GUI in Reaper

So I have Carla working as a standalone, and with the MTPDK-2.0.9-VST-64bit-Win-FULL drumkit that I'm testing it with, it's all working just fine.

I can also see the Carla VSTs -- Carla-Rack, Carla-Patchbay and so on -- from the input FX and FX buttons in Reaper. The problem is that when I try to load any of them, instead of getting the Carla GUI like I'm supposed to (and like this guy does at around the 4:55 minute mark -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuO39baiBGw ), I just get to see a bunch of broken/overlapping Reaper windows with no sign of the carla GUI. Hitting the UI button (top right corner) gets me to a bank of unlabeled sliders, and hitting the UI button again toggles the amount of grey space to the right of the sliders.

In Reaper preferences/plugin/VST, 'Default VST to generic UI (instead of plugin UI)' is unchecked, but it doesn't seem to make any difference either way.

I'm using reaper v6.12c and carla 2.2.0-beta1 under Ubuntu 20.04 with gnome.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this puppy working??!

Last edited by paulbee; 07-19-2020 at 01:53 AM. Reason: mark as solved
paulbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Glennbo

I sometimes use Carla-Rack_FX and putting instrument plugins into it don't show a GUI until I click the gear icon at the top left. Then I see the GUI for whatever I loaded. That said, I almost exclusively use LinVST for any Windows plugins, which was the case for my last project that used nothing but Windows VSTi instrument plugins.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
paulbee

Thanks, but the problem is that I never get to see the screen with the gear icon in the first place. Nor do I ever see the Carla screen that's supposed to appear before that (ie the screen where you can load the desired plugin, which then takes you to the rack/patchbay screen with the gear icon). All of these screens behave as expected in standalone mode, but from inside Reaper, none of these screens appear.

It seems like I'm the only one having these issues, so can I ask which flavor/version of linux you're using? And do you have gnome or kde or something else?
Old 07-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
Glennbo

I've used Xubuntu 18.04 with xfce for more than a year now on an Asus/Intel i5 machine I built 11 years ago. I'll be building a new DAW in the next couple of months based on an Asus B550 Prime mobo and AMD 3700X processor. I'll be putting Xubuntu 20.04 on an NVMe M.2 drive on the new machine, so I'll get to experience again setting it all up from scratch.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:43 AM   #5
paulbee

Thanks. Since you're using Xubuntu with Xfce, I wondered if my desktop environment might somehow be to blame, and since I don't much care for the current version of gnome anyway, I thought I'd try Xfce instead. I have to say that I found the default Xfce environment rather a startling experience -- So much blue! with outcrops of Windows95! But in any case, it didn't fix anything and now I've reluctantly climbed back onto the gnome/gdm3 train again.

On a brighter note, I've now got Carla working properly from inside Reaper! Yay! The problem was that I'd followed the link in the 'Reaper for Linux documentation' sticky thread, which took me to the KXstudio Carla page, where I found, downloaded and extracted the Linux64 bit version and ran it. This is the version (2.2.0-beta1 as noted above) that worked great as a standalone, but wouldn't work properly in Reaper. But it turned out I was going about the whole installation process all wrong!

My understanding now is that what I *should* have done is (after a 'sudo apt update') run 'apt search carla' and then run a 'sudo apt install' for each of the packages found by the search. (The youtube video mentioned in my first post talks about installing the packages found by the command 'apt search carla bridge' but this misses carla itself as well as some other presumably important programs.)

NOTE: at some point I also activated the KXstudio repos, as described here https://kx.studio/Repositories on the KXstudio site. This step may or may not be necessary before running the apt search and apt install commands above. I think the repos are important for updates(?) so perhaps they're important for search and install too? I'm afraid I don't know. Anyway, it's probably a good thing to do and doesn't seem to do any harm.

Anyway, yeah, so now I have Carla version 2.2.0-RC1 installed. It shows up in the Ubuntu applications launch screen, and it works just like it's supposed to with Reaper! So problem solved! :-)

But to prevent this from happening again, can the 'Reaper for Linux documentation' sticky be amended with some instructions on how to actually install Carla instead of only providing a link to the KXstudio site where, as far as I can tell, there's presently no documentation on how to do an install, but a big opportunity for beginners like me to go badly astray.

(I'd like to mark this thread as SOLVED, but I don't see how to do that. ETA OK, I figured it out :-) )

Last edited by paulbee; 07-19-2020 at 01:54 AM. Reason: mark thread as solved