Old 09-18-2020, 04:27 AM   #1
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings

Default Creating stems from folders

What I'd like to do is to move various individual tracks into folders (For example "bass stem", Drums stem" etc.)

Then I'd like to render each folder (via master) into a file, thus creating stems.

I'd like to add all the folders to the render queue and then let reaper render them out.

The only way I can seem to do this is to select each folder in turn, open "render file" and then select "add to render queue". I have to do this for each folder in turn.

Is there any way to shorten this process? Some way to add all the folders to the render queue at once?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:06 AM   #2
heda

I wouldn't use the queue system because it loads the project each time it starts to render a new one and it can be slow...

I would use the "Stems (selected tracks)" normal render option. This way you can render them all the folders in one pass. You could route the folders to dedicated stem tracks for rendering where you can duplicate the FX of the master in them.

I don't know why you want to render folders with master FX but keep in mind that the sum of those stems is probably not going to be the same as if you render the whole mix with the master fx.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I wouldn't use the queue system because it loads the project each time it starts to render a new one and it can be slow...

I would use the "Stems (selected tracks)" normal render option. This way you can render them all the folders in one pass. You could route the folders to dedicated stem tracks for rendering where you can duplicate the FX of the master in them.

I don't know why you want to render folders with master FX but keep in mind that the sum of those stems is probably not going to be the same as if you render the whole mix with the master fx.
Thanks Heda. Wasn't so much the master FX I wanted. Can do without those. It's the sends..... and the selected tracks via master seems to be the only way I can do that.....

Actually just done it again and the "selected tracks via master" seems to be just what I need now. For some reason when I first used it it seemed to want to render all the tracks in a folder individually. Not just the audio sum of the folder.

User error I reckon :-)

Last edited by mozart999uk; 09-18-2020 at 06:46 AM. Reason: thought of something else
Old 09-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
heda

ah it is true... I didn't remember that Selected tracks via master was added recently
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
ah it is true... I didn't remember that Selected tracks via master was added recently
:-) :-)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
kod

There's a script by X-Raym called "Render Selected tracks individually through master" that I think you'll find useful. Also works with wildcards.
kod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:33 AM   #7
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
There's a script by X-Raym called "Render Selected tracks individually through master" that I think you'll find useful. Also works with wildcards.
Thanks. Just tried this and it seems to render all the tracks within each folder, rather than just the folder itself. Are there perhaps settings in the script I need to adjust?
Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
kod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Thanks. Just tried this and it seems to render all the tracks within each folder, rather than just the folder itself. Are there perhaps settings in the script I need to adjust?

I think I just misunderstood your goal...
kod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
ashcat_lt

What tracks are you selecting?!? If you want to render the folder track only, then select the folder track only. If you select the child tracks, then of course it’ll render the child tracks. The action name literally says “...selected tracks...” Select what you actually want, don’t select what you don’t want.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #10
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
What tracks are you selecting?!? If you want to render the folder track only, then select the folder track only. If you select the child tracks, then of course it’ll render the child tracks. The action name literally says “...selected tracks...” Select what you actually want, don’t select what you don’t want.
I selected the folder, it rendered the child tracks as well.....
Old 09-22-2020, 12:51 AM   #11
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
I think I just misunderstood your goal...
No worries. Really appreciate your help anyway :-)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:29 AM   #12
uncleswede

Quote:
^ this
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:25 AM   #13
mozart999uk

So basically I was selecting multiple folders but shift clicking them, which selected all the children as well :-) D'oh!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
So basically I was selecting multiple folders but shift clicking them, which selected all the children as well :-) D'oh!
Ahem!

As with everything else anywhere, use a Ctrl+Click to select non-contiguous groups of things. Shift+Click of course selects everything in between, even when you can’t see them because the folders are collapsed.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #15
mozart999uk

Quote:
Ahem!

As with everything else anywhere, use a Ctrl+Click to select non-contiguous groups of things. Shift+Click of course selects everything in between, even when you can’t see them because the folders are collapsed.
Yep erm.....ooops....used to teach I.T. Erm.....move along now....nothing to see here

🤣😊😊😊😊😊😊🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 10-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
JB Nelly

Default Selecting tracks for stems

Hi, I watched a couple of tutorials on stems track transfer and Kenny's shows that he easily selected 7 files to send. I'm trying to send 2 tracks and can only select one to transfer via Dropbox to my buddy who uses Logic Pro X. I sent one at a time and the transferred files weren't music. How do I send more than one file at a time ?
This NOOB is confused. Little help ?
JB Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #17
JB Nelly

Default Stem track selection for rendering

control + click ! Got it ! That worked. Thanks !
JB Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote