Old 08-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
sbwss@sbwss.com
Human being with feelings

Default Getting started.. with Reaper

Still trying to figure which computer to use or will I need better one
Win 7 Pro Laptop (amd=core duo 4 gigs) Asio4all works Midi controller issue
Win 7 Pro Dell tower (I3 8 megs ) Asio4all works Midi controller issue
Win 10 Home Dell Laptop (I3 6 megs ) Asio4all not working Midi controller issue

Midi controller issue: When I load a virtual instrument the midi keyboard only plays the note staccato (or not at all) however the virtual keyboard will play the plugin notes. I'm using an old Roland MKB 1000 controller that works fine with MKS 20 digital module.

Currently using a Roland UM One midi interface but am waiting for a Prosonus iTwo (I know, not the best) as I have no audio input on my Dell laptop. Hoping it will have asio drivers for Win 10

Wish I had the bucks for an I7+ with SSD

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
sbwss@sbwss.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #2
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwss@sbwss.com View Post
waiting for a Prosonus iTwo (I know, not the best)
There's a chance it will solve your problems, native ASIO driver and MIDI onboard should be much less wonky than stringing things together of ASIO4ALL on onboard chip and a separate MIDI interface.

As for the rest - it's hard to say anything from the "i3" or "AMD dual core" alone - there are hundreds varieties of those, some slow, some quite decent. Same with plugins, some need next to nothing, some can strangle an i7.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:18 AM   #3
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !

ASIO4ALL is know to often create problems and it will not solve latency issues imposed by the audio hardware built in PCs - which is not designed for low latency.

(On Windows) you supposedly will need to get an USB interface that is speechified for low latency.

You might want to take a look at the sticky thread in the Live" forum for more information on live playing plugin with Reaper.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-19-2020 at 03:54 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
sbwss@sbwss.com

Default Thanks for getbacks

Thanks for the getbacks. I will update when I get my Audio Interface as it might help someone else.
My main priority is getting a really good acoustic piano. I managed to get Piano One working on one computer with same midi problem
I also installed sforzando and aria and purchased Concert Grand Compact @ 40.00 from productionvoices.com and it sounds pretty good but still the same midi issue. Also takes a few attempts to load. Probably need more memory
I think I'm going to have to get a computer with more memory and will go for 16 gigs and SSD

Ultimately, I think I will spring for Ravenscroft 275 Vi piano. Thanks again
Old 08-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
mschnell

Threre are lots of great grand piano librries.

Ravenscroft does have a good reputation,

I happily use Grandeur by Native Instruments.

You also should try Pianoteq. It's extremely flexible, high value for the money and many do love it.

The new Boesendorfer Imperial by VSL also seems great.

Of course, the Master Keyboard you use is a very critical thing with virtual pianos. I very happily use the Kawai VPC 1. Long key levers and straight hammer mechanics. Feels nearly like a grand piano and is not extremely expensive,

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-19-2020 at 03:53 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
sbwss@sbwss.com

Default Virtual Piano Issue From a Newbe

Just to update on my original issue:

Thinking it was a memory issue I upgraded to a refurbished Dell Core I7 3.4 with 32 gigs of ram and an SSD. Also, a Prosonus Audiobox iTwo. The Concert Grand Compact (sforzando) now loads in about 5 seconds instead of a minute.

As to the original problem:
In the old days my Roland MKS 20 Piano module was always set on channel 16. What is odd is that the Virtual Piano would play normally using the sustain pedal but just play staccato (thumps) without sustain.

Duh, I changed the controller keyboard to channel 1 and everything works just fine. Still scratching my head as to why things were odd with controller set to channel 16. Probably, a Reaper setting.