Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
makai
Human being with feelings

Default Rebase 2

Hello
Here is my facelifted Rebase theme. Please let me know if there are mistakes or any suggestions for improvements.
(I would like to post a small screenshot, but I don't know how)

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/510/Rebase_2.zip
Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Quasar

No suggestions, but this is very nice, elegant in simplicity and readability.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Good work sir.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Mercado_Negro

Whoa! This is nice indeed... much better than Reabase 1. Thank you very much for the time you invested on improving it it was worth the time imo
Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
pattonfreak1

*sigh*

Maaaaaaan do I friggin love this theme.
Thanks so much Makai!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
makai

Thank you White Tie, for posting the screenshots,
thank you all, for having a look.
I know that trying to make reaper look alike other DAWs is not all good, because it's reaper with all it advantages, not Cubase. But it was a kind of sports for me. It takes a lot of time and it never will be perfect, but the biggest disadvantage is that there is no time left for making music. I wonder how all the guys make this really good looking themes and icon sets in addition to family and job...
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
bradsucks

Very nice. My only suggestion is I'd prefer more of a switch/button look on all the pan/volume controls. I find the gradient difficult to quickly skim.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
makai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsucks View Post
My only suggestion is I'd prefer more of a switch/button look on all the pan/volume controls. I find the gradient difficult to quickly skim.
I added an alternative set of horizontal pan and volume thumbs to the theme.
Perhaps they fit better?

Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Mercado_Negro

Hello makai, I saw you just updated this theme with some enhancements, thanks!

Could you please add the new images for I/O button (send , receive, etc)?

track_io_r.png
track_io_r_dis.png
track_io_s.png
track_io_s_dis.png
track_io_s_r.png
track_io_s_r_dis.png

Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
makai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Could you please add the new images for I/O button (send , receive, etc)?
Hello Mercado,
yes, of course. I didn't notice that there are new images. Did they come with the latest Reaper update?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
makai

Default Added new I/O images

Added new I/O images to Rebase.
I don't like the image for the master I/O. It suggests that there is an input available, doesn't it?

https://stash.reaper.fm/4642/Rebase_2.zip
Old 02-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by makai View Post
Added new I/O images to Rebase.
I don't like the image for the master I/O. It suggests that there is an input available, doesn't it?

https://stash.reaper.fm/4642/Rebase_2.zip
Thank you very much makai!

Though I don't like them too much (imo they're not so 'obvious') I do really appreciate your effort and time spent on this (it's not a biggie, just a matter of taste I guess).
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #13
makai

Quote:
(imo they're not so 'obvious')
Maybe it could be better to use symbols (arrows for example) instead the I/O letters, to make it more obvious.
At the moment the dashed letter signs the unused connection and the button color represents the 'Master/Parent send' state: blue=enabled, red=disabled.
'Red' is allways used in this theme whenever a muted (disconnected, bypassed) state should be represented. Except the big record button.
I don't like to use two different colors on a single button. It looks (imo) a little mixed up on this theme...
What do you think?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #14
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

My personal view is that the primary job of the IO button is to be the IO button. Put yourself in the mindset of a new Reaper user, wanting to change the hardware output of a track - to avoid random button pushing or a dive for the manual, a button that clearly communicates its job is going to save the day. A button that tries to communicate too many things at once could, the danger is, do all of them sub-optimally.

The plan that's brewing in my mind is to scoot the surrounding buttons within their boundaries to make more space for the IO button, and then try to come up with some 'don't bother clicking me' looking indicators to overlay from the IO button into that space. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

I would certainly suggest that if you've got an effectively communicating IO button then you've done your job well. For me, at this point, I don't plan to update my themes to use the new s&r IO states.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #15
antiClick

I never use to comment on themes but this deserves it.
... you nailed the steinberg look.

About the i/o buttons, it's nice how you faded the I or the O letter depending on the state, but I would make it one color only.

About the phase button, I think the actual sign is confussing. It looks more like an envelope than a phase inversion symbol (slashed zero).

I'd also make solo button yellow and mute button orange or red... that should make it more visible at first sight (esp. the solo one).

Excelent work!
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Maybe it could be better to use symbols (arrows for example) instead the I/O letters, to make it more obvious.
At the moment the dashed letter signs the unused connection and the button color represents the 'Master/Parent send' state: blue=enabled, red=disabled.
'Red' is allways used in this theme whenever a muted (disconnected, bypassed) state should be represented. Except the big record button.
I don't like to use two different colors on a single button. It looks (imo) a little mixed up on this theme...
What do you think?
hmmm... as WhiteTie said is really hard to tell in such small space what's the current state of a track. I just looked at Limeflavour's LF Origins and, imo, it's the best design so far:

As you said it looks like symbols (arrows) are a good option.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #17
makai

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
A button that tries to communicate too many things at once could, the danger is, do all of them sub-optimally.
You're probably right. Too much information on a tiny button could decrease the clarity.
In my view the buttons should be simple with black, bold, rounded letters, or symbols, that fit good to the rest of the theme.
That's what makes the cubase charm, and I would not like to damage it.
On the other side there are people who like my theme and they ask for the new icons.
So it's a compromise of what is looking good for me and what the people like.
(I thought it would be easier to build a Reaper theme...)
Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
makai

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
I never use to comment on themes but this deserves it.
... you nailed the steinberg look.

About the i/o buttons, it's nice how you faded the I or the O letter depending on the state, but I would make it one color only.

About the phase button, I think the actual sign is confussing. It looks more like an envelope than a phase inversion symbol (slashed zero).

I'd also make solo button yellow and mute button orange or red... that should make it more visible at first sight (esp. the solo one).

Excelent work!

Oh, thank you
I used the slashed zero symbol in the first version of rebase and the wave symbol for the track envelopes button.
The phase icon seemed thin and blurred somehow, so I changed it.
It seems that there are certain standard icons for certain functions.
Probably I'll make a set of alternative buttons for replacing some critical ones.
Currently I am working on the new I/O icons. They do not look right for me...
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
makai

Quote:
hmmm... as WhiteTie said is really hard to tell in such small space what's the current state of a track. I just looked at Limeflavour's LF Origins and, imo, it's the best design so far:

The idea is very good and the icon fits well with the theme.
I fear that finely drawn arrows do not look right, next to the bold, black letters and symbols at my theme.
I'm still working on it...
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
musicbynumbers

those symbols work really well, might just be my brain but what about when the track is receiving only that the track part of the symbol is on the right (instead of left) so the symbol is reversed effectively

Think it might just make receives even more contrasting against sends or both (or it might not)
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #21
makai

Default Question about I/O images

This is a sketch with arrows instead the I/O letters.
I had to change the little fader images too, because they looked too similar to the arrows.
The phase symbol has been replaced by the 'slashed zero', as antiClick suggested.
It is a more common symbol for phase inverting.
The color has the same meaning as before.
Master/Parent send' state: blue=enabled, red=disabled.

This is a alternative with the old I/O letters.
The unused connection is faded.

What do you think should be the default for the theme? The recent images could be included in an alternative subdirectory.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #22
antiClick

This is very nice, but do you really need the blue/red differentiation? A bit confusing to me, at least at first glance.

I'd personally preffer the i/o with the letters, but without the blue/red differentiation (always blue). Maybe you could just fade both letters when sends are inactive, so that the button only needs one colour variation.

just an opinion

Last edited by antiClick; 02-20-2010 at 04:40 AM.
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #23
makai

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
This is very nice, but do you really need the blue/red differentiation? A bit confusing to me, at least at first glance.

I'd personally preffer the i/o with the letters, but without the blue/red differentiation. Maybe you could just fade both letters when sends are inactive, so that the button only needs one colour variation.

just an opinion
The problem is, that there is additional to the send- and recive connection, the state to the master/parent, that should be represented too.
Maybe it is possible to give up the blue color. So you get only the red button if the master/parent send is disabled.
This is exactly the problem that White Tie described. The more information at once, the greater the danger to get confused.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #24
Reflected

Quote:

NiCE!!
I didn't see that update.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #25
makai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
NiCE!!
I didn't see that update.
It is not yet updated. I'm still in the trial & error.
Just wanted to let you know what I'm thinking about, and maybe get some feedback.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #26
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
The problem is, that there is additional to the send- and recive connection, the state to the master/parent, that should be represented too.
Maybe it is possible to give up the blue color. So you get only the red button if the master/parent send is disabled.
This is exactly the problem that White Tie described. The more information at once, the greater the danger to get confused.
I think that's a good idea.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #27
makai

This is now without the blue color.
In my opinion it is harder to see the difference between an empty IO (Track 1) and send+recive connected (Track 5).
Wouldn't it be easier to the eyes if the button is blue colored, when you quick skim the mixer?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #28
makai

If someone is interested to try the different I/O button drafts, here is a zip attached. The alternative phase and automation images are also included.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rebase_alternative_buttons.zip (77.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #29
Mercado_Negro

Thanks makai. Yes, you're right it is harder to spot the difference. Now that I look at these new buttons I realize the problem was the I O letters when there are sends or receives, right now they are 'greyed-out' which imo looks better/easier on the eyes. I'm with you, the blue color fits better but please keep the 'greyed-out' letters and not the 'stripped' ones.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #30
makai

Default Rebase 2 updated

I just updated the theme. The I/O button with greyed letters and blue color (if connected) is default for the theme now. I included a subdirectory with all versions I posted here. So everybody can decide which buttons he likes to use.
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

BTW: I had no idea how active you guys are in this forum. This is very impressive how much time you invest to help us users with our problems.
Phenomenal!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #31
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I just updated the theme. The I/O button with greyed letters and blue color (if connected) is default for the theme now. I included a subdirectory with all versions I posted here. So everybody can decide which buttons he likes to use.
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

BTW: I had no idea how active you guys are in this forum. This is very impressive how much time you invest to help us users with our problems.
Phenomenal!
Thanks for the update makai!

It IS impressive how people like YOU spend some quality time working on themes for us. We do nothing, you're the PHENOMENAL here!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #32
Oscope

Default Rebase_2 HELP !

This Theme is not packaged as a ReaperThemeZip file and when I unpack it, the Theme file is only 5K and does not grab the rest of the files that are zipped.
Is there something I am doing wrong ??
Old 01-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #33
Oscope

Default Rebase_2 HELP !

OK .. I figured out what was wrong ...Missing folder