Old 01-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
Shredhead
Human being with feelings

Default Portable install

Hello All,

I have been successfully running reaper for a couple of years now on my work PC laptop running Windows 10. I have always saved my projects to a jump drive. I am very interested in doing a portable install to a jump drive. Can I run a portable install of Reaper on the same jump drive that I am saving my projects on? Also, is it possible for it to run everything completely off the jump drive (like aftermarket plugins for example)? The reason that I’m asking is that I would like to have everything to do with reaper off of my work laptop if possible? Any help would be very much appreciated

Beau
Shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

You can certainly have projects on same drive as the install, I suggest working out a sensible directory structure.

Haven't tried it with VST on same drive but can't see any reason why not... Just reference them in your Plugins page of Preferences.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Shredhead

Default Portable install

Nicholas,

Very cool. Thanks for the quick reply and the link!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
Pinknoise

If you don't want any plugins installed on the computer some of them will work and some won't.

When installing plugins, a lot of companies will by default install data, presets, configs, etc. on the C drive.

Some other companies like U-He will let you choose on wich drive you can install both the data and the Vst (DLL). Those you can run on the external drive alone without needing installed file on the computer.

The plugins that come in DLL form, will most certainly work. Companies like Klanghelm, Tokyo Dawn Labs, Sknote or Hornet for exemple. And lots of freeware too, that come in DLL form will work.

If you plan to move the external drive around, like work on a friends computer, it might be a good idea to set the drive letter permanantly in drive manager. For exemple give the letter: Z. This way when Reaper is looking for your folders on your installation it is permanently set to Z.

This avoid looking for projects on the C or D drives when your home and looking for E drive on a friend computer because he already has a C or a D drive pluged in. Hope that makes sense good luck.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Shredhead

Default Portable install

So silly question because I think you already answered this LOL. Is there anyway to kind of create your own directory on the jump drive and drop the files in there that the plug-ins are installing on the C Drive on the computer?
Old 01-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
DarrenH

I run portable but keep app, OS and projects on separate drives.
It's for organization but also to have max bandwidth available from each drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
Hello All,

I have been successfully running reaper for a couple of years now on my work PC laptop running Windows 10. I have always saved my projects to a jump drive. I am very interested in doing a portable install to a jump drive. Can I run a portable install of Reaper on the same jump drive that I am saving my projects on? Also, is it possible for it to run everything completely off the jump drive (like aftermarket plugins for example)? The reason that I’m asking is that I would like to have everything to do with reaper off of my work laptop if possible? Any help would be very much appreciated

Beau
DarrenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Shredhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
I run portable but keep app, OS and projects on separate drives.
It's for organization but also to have max bandwidth available from each drive.
So are you able to access third-party VST plug-ins etc. via this method?
Old 01-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
DarrenH

Didn't mean to take so long to get back. I wish we had notifications if someone replied to us.

Yes, no trouble at all, just have to be diligent when I'm installing VSTs to override the folder defaults. I'm a stickler for keeping things in one spot, hate to have stuff scattered everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
So are you able to access third-party VST plug-ins etc. via this method?

Last edited by DarrenH; 01-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
DarrenH is online now   Reply With Quote