aMUSEd
Human being with feelings

Default MPE?

When will Reaper support this?
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Technically it already does. It's just MIDI channels used differently...
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
Lokasenna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AiDI38ZQXs

?
Old 08-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Playing MPE instruments and recording MPE data is pretty much flawless in Reaper. Editing of velocities (even note-off for the "Lift"), channel pressure and CC74 ("Slide") is fine if you're happy with Reaper's CC lane editing in general. It would be neat to have "Show Channel number on notes", in case you want to add a note. Because you need to know which channel is not in use at the target time area to choose a free one for the extra note, so you can make it articulate independently.

Editing pitch bend ("Glide") within the default MPE range of 48 semitones is practically impossible, though. First obviously because the value changes are tiny in Reaper's pitch bend lane, but also because there is no grid to indicate semitones. Correct a pitch glide that has gone a bit flat? I don't even try that in current Reaper.

Here is a thread with some more thoughts about the pitch bend problem and some pics: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177868

Last edited by gofer; 08-11-2018 at 03:29 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
It would be neat to have "Show Channel number on notes", in case you want to add a note. Because you need to know which channel is not in use at the target time area to choose a free one for the extra note, so you can make it articulate independently.
View -> Color notes by --> Channel?

Alternatively, I'm pretty sure a script could easily handle "Set active channel to the first available channel at this position".
Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

Thanks, Lokasenna. Event colors by channel are helpful but at least for me don"t quite kick it. It"s not easy to come up with 16 colors that are all individually discernable. And then you still need to memorize their number, so you can act accordingly. I used to think my channel colors are chosen pretty well in that respect but in practice, it turns out I misinterpret them anyway. As shown in the video you linked to, I have to keep the event's properties dialog open most of the time.

Add-a-note is not the only situation where channel info is needed. Another one would be when you want to add CC events to an existing note. I agree that a bunch of scripts could be designed to be really helpful with MPE. Yet again, "view channel numbers on notes" seems to be the most upfront solution. Unobtrusive, intuitive, ready to use for everybody in stock Reaper and possibly finds its use in non-MPE situations as well. Also, the code seems to be basically already there (he said while he has no idea about actual Reaper code). I think it's a reasonable request.

For sure someone could also come up with nifty scripts providing a workable solution for the pitch bend problem. But I'd prefer Reaper to have what's necessary to edit MPE data on board as it ships.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
David Carlyon

Does anyone know if this is going to be updated in the next version? I have been using MPE in bitwig and it is incredibly straight forward. Drawing bends on the individual notes is the way to implement this. Tracktion already has a version of this too, though bitwigs implementation is brilliant.

Looks like a bit of a headache in Reaper.
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Nobody really knows what the "next version" brings... Anyone's guess is as good as none
Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
David Carlyon

Fair enough! I will wait and see then. As i understand it, Reaper updates don't roll out like other DAWs? With less emphasis placed on singluar big updates and more of a gradual roll out?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Lokasenna

The release frequency is typically anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, sometimes with fancy stuff and sometimes just little bug fixes.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
David Carlyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The release frequency is typically anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, sometimes with fancy stuff and sometimes just little bug fixes.
In my couple of weeks of use i have already had multiple updates.
I am starting to see why so many people are fanatic about Reaper. It has a great ethos, too.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #12
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Drawing bends on the individual notes is the way to implement this.
Oh man I would love that.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #13
David Carlyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Oh man I would love that.
It really is so good in Bitwig. It makes it something you actually want to use! It feels musical also. That is definitely one thing Bitwig gets right
Old 03-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #14
dtr0q

Regarding 48-range pitch, Bitwig has really cool approach for this. No more clunky CC lane, see exact pitch note bends to.

dtr0q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #15
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr0q View Post
Regarding 48-range pitch,
In fact I suppose that the +/- 48 semitone setting for the full Pitch Bend range is not married to MPE, but a definition done by the Roli (e.g Rise and Equator default to that).

But you are right. I also did not find an easy way to deal with that in the Reaper Midi editor.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-21-2019 at 12:51 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #16
David Carlyon

Quote:
Regarding 48-range pitch, Bitwig has really cool approach for this. No more clunky CC lane, see exact pitch note bends to.

Absolutely love this in bitwig. Incredibly expressive.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #17
ferropop

Any developments on this?

It would be as clean as a "Set MIDI channel to last touched note's channel" script/feature to have a Very close to good system in Reaper.

Currently it's pretty brutal - if you want to edit the CC of an existing note you have to first figure out what channel it's on, switch to it, make your change, etc. A simple "last touched" option would be perfect.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #18
EvilDragon

No developments on this whatsoever.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #19
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Any developments on this?

It would be as clean as a "Set MIDI channel to last touched note's channel" script/feature to have a Very close to good system in Reaper.

Currently it's pretty brutal - if you want to edit the CC of an existing note you have to first figure out what channel it's on, switch to it, make your change, etc. A simple "last touched" option would be perfect.
Look for Juliansader’s script “js_Option - Selecting single note or CC in active take sets channel for new events. lua”, available in Reapack. It runs as deferred script in the background when enabled and does the trick. I’d go mad without it.
For some reason I failed so far trying to have it enabled by default in new projects, but I think that’s me doing something wrong.

Editing pitch bend is still the same problem, there is currently no reasonable way to go about it in Reaper. Which is a shame, because otherwise Reaper was ready for MPE just like so.

Last edited by gofer; 01-23-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #20
ferropop

Amazing man thank you, this pretty much takes care of it!
Old 01-26-2020, 12:10 AM   #21
Dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Look for Juliansader’s script “js_Option - Selecting single note or CC in active take sets channel for new events. lua”, available in Reapack. It runs as deferred script in the background when enabled and does the trick. I’d go mad without it.
For some reason I failed so far trying to have it enabled by default in new projects, but I think that’s me doing something wrong.
Like all user scripts (?), it's automatically disabled every time you reload the project. You have to run it manually each time you load a new project or reload a project. I set up a button to do it in my midi editor.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:44 AM   #22
EvilDragon

Or you could set it as project startup action with SWS, I think there's an action like that there.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #23
gofer
-blänk-

Yeah, that’s what I tried, but it doesn’t work reliably. This particular one, I mean. The other actions in my startup combo work fine.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #24
ferropop

Any movement on this 15 months later?
Old 04-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #25
ferropop

Quote:

Look at this makes me feel joy inside. Truly.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #26
ferropop

Am I alone in thinking it's absurd to not have controllable snapping in the pitch lane? Or all lanes for that matter, but especially in a dimension that is by definition "stepped"?
Old 04-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #27
gofer
-blänk-

With a bend range of +-48 semitones it's more a problem with the size. At that range, semitones are just a few pixels apart in a pitchbend lane (depending on screen resolution and height of the lane of course). IMO, the way Bitwig does it is the best way to go. What you see is what you get. Plus you can zoom in vertically to the range in question.

Still, a snap feature would be a helpful step in the right direction, as it would need to include the possibility to tell Reaper which pitchbend range is meant by 0-16383 on a given track.

Btw, ferropop, remember your threadhttps://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2298129? You asked for scripts to raise/lower pitchbend events by/to semitones which you can find in my reply over there. You probably missed them because I found your thread a month after it was posted.

Last edited by gofer; 04-06-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #28
bywaterandblood

Is it possible to set the pitch bend range to something smaller in the synth and controller so that it records a more narrow lane? I haven't tried it yet. Just wondering.
If not, then isn't this a relatively easy fix for Cockos?
bywaterandblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:43 PM   #29
mschnell

If the pitch bend range of a plugin is not settable to a desired ratio, maybe Reapack -> MidiPitchBendFactor might help,
-Michael
Old 09-14-2022, 01:26 AM   #30
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Look at this makes me feel joy inside. Truly.
I'd love this in Reaper!
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:27 AM   #31
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bywaterandblood View Post
Is it possible to set the pitch bend range to something smaller in the synth and controller so that it records a more narrow lane? I haven't tried it yet. Just wondering.
If not, then isn't this a relatively easy fix for Cockos?
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this wouldn't help with Roli users who have their pitchbend set to +/-48 would it?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #32
bywaterandblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this wouldn't help with Roli users who have their pitchbend set to +/-48 would it?
I usually set mine to 12 or 24. I'll have to try it out when I have some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
If the pitch bend range of a plugin is not settable to a desired ratio, maybe Reapack -> MidiPitchBendFactor might help,
-Michael
I'll check this out and reply back here if it works.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:35 PM   #33
bywaterandblood

Nope. Doesn't work. Everyone else is right. Pitch is straight up uneditable. We really should be able to zoom CC lanes like you can MIDI. Just increasing its height isn't near enough.
Attached Images
File Type: png pitch cc lane reaper.png (79.9 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by bywaterandblood; 09-17-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:50 PM   #34
mschnell

(Usually) Pitch is not a CC.

Normal CC is not usable for pitch, as it only features 7 Bit resolution.

HR CC (14 Bit) might be used (and converted to Pitchbend in realtime).

And of course you can pseudo-Zoom the Pitch editing by using Reapack -> MidiPitchBendFactor. You will type in a value lower than 1.0 in the "Factor" field to scale down the pitchbend range.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-17-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:08 AM   #35
ferropop

Quote:
Nope. Doesn't work. Everyone else is right. Pitch is straight up uneditable. We really should be able to zoom CC lanes like you can MIDI. Just increasing its height isn't near enough.
If there was a connection between Arrange View and MIDI Editor for CCs, everything's already built into Arrange View to do the zoom you're talking about.

I know it's not directly related, but just an example of how deeply the MIDI oddities go, and how much more refined and unified things would feel if a couple of fundamental gaps were bridged.

But yeah, ...if you copy your CCs up to ReaControlMIDI then you can (in a very unnecessarily complex way) use Razor Edits to tilt/stretch/compress/expand and use all the normal Zoom tools to get more accurate.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #36
bywaterandblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
(Usually) Pitch is not a CC.

Normal CC is not usable for pitch, as it only features 7 Bit resolution.

HR CC (14 Bit) might be used (and converted to Pitchbend in realtime).

And of course you can pseudo-Zoom the Pitch editing by using Reapack -> MidiPitchBendFactor. You will type in a value lower than 1.0 in the "Factor" field to scale down the pitchbend range.

-Michael
OK, so I have a track set up with Roli Studio on it and an MPE sound selected. I put "MIDI Pitch Bend Factor" after the plugin with a .25 factor and it doesn't appear to work. If I put it before it makes Roli Studio play all wonky. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-18-2022, 10:47 PM   #37
mschnell

Quote:
it doesn't appear to work.
You can put a Midi logger (e.g. ReaControlMidi) before and after to see, what it does.

-Michael