Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default Manual Punch Recording mode that records from playback like Time Selection Auto Punch

Vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2497

Basic Premise of Feature Request:
Preference for "Start recording in background on Playback for any record-enabled tracks"

What this means:
Currently in Reaper, recording doesn't happen until you hit the Record button. With this preference, as soon as you hit play, Reaper would start recording the input for any Record Enabled tracks in the background. If you hit stop without ever engaging record during playback, all of that recorded data would be discarded. If Record is engaged at any point during playback, media items would be created on screen during the time that record is enabled, just like they are now when toggling in and out of record in Normal Record mode. However, all of these media items could be trimmed to reveal all of the extra material recorded in the background from the point that Play was pressed originally. This allows you to save a take if you don't punch in at the exact perfect moment and is an absolutely essential feature for tracking live music.

Resulting functionality would be exactly that of "Quick Punch" recording mode in Pro Tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHUJRd5vNk0 (important explanation starts at 4:00)

Manual punch ins would finally be possible while still preserving the ability to trim and reveal hidden audio, as we can in "Time Selection Auto Punch" mode.

This is essential behaviour while tracking in order to ensure takes don't have to be scrapped due to non-perfect manual punch points. "Time Selection Auto Punch" already does this, but cannot be used in a manual "on the fly" method, and cannot be used to only punch in since a punch out point must be defined as well. This is not useful if you are "building" a track in parts as you go, rather than punching in in the middle of a recorded performance. You would also be able to punch in several parts in one pass, while still retaining the hidden audio.

Vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2497

Last edited by AdamWathan; 05-17-2010 at 02:20 PM.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
AdamWathan

Buuuump, surely people miss this from Pro Tools and other DAWs? Being able to just manually punch in whenever and if you are a bit late, you can trim back and recover the start of the performance? Or recovering the perfect take that was performed during a "play along" by just hitting record quickly on and off at the end of the take and then trimming it back to reveal everything that was recorded "under the hood" in playback mode?

Again, Reaper already does this in Time Selection Auto Punch mode so it is probably relatively simple to get it to behave the same way in regular record mode? Just get it to start writing data to the disk on playback for any record enabled tracks, but not display any of that on screen until record is pressed. If a track is record enabled during playback, it would start recording from the point it is record enabled.

I hope this doesn't seem complicated because it really isn't as complicated as I'm probably making it sound!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
AdamWathan

Bump.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
l0calh05t

I don't think there is any way to do this yet. How about posting a real feature request (to the issue tracker)?
l0calh05t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
elapidae

I would also like this feature.
elapidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
The Spark

I would love to see this implemented into Reaper.

A big +100 from me!
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
AdamWathan

Updated first post with more organized and detailed explanation of how to implement.

It is not introducing anything radically new to REAPER and seems like it should be fairly simple to add. It would be a lifesaver in many situations and is a very basic and standard feature in most DAWs. This should be the default IMO. In 2010, diskspace is not really a concern and there is no reason to have this disabled other than because you like to live on the edge.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
AdamWathan

FR added in tracker, vote here:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2497
Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
scottedog

Idiot proofing for idiots like me!

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
gofer
-blänk-

While searching the tracker for something related (capture the last monitored opus as recording after the fact, sort of an "always record" mode, I don't remember the wording) I found this one: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=240

Great minds think alike ...(you, not necessarily like me )

Which begs the most tragic question... one of them must be called duplicate, I am afraid. And I don't believe votes can be transferred... I think I leave this to the dork or merc or some other member of the tracker bitch squad...

Last edited by gofer; 05-17-2010 at 04:52 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
While searching the tracker for something related (capture the last monitored opus as recording after the fact, sort of an "always record" mode, I don't remember the wording) I found this one: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=240

Great minds think alike ...(you, not necessarily like me )

Which begs the most tragic question... one of them must be called duplicate, I am afraid. And I don't believe votes can be transferred... I think I leave this to the dork or merc or some other member of the tracker bitch squad...
Well I'm an tracker mod as well, so maybe I can make the other one disappear...
Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
l0calh05t

voted
Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #13
EricM

Very well put and quite useful! Voted!

e
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
l0calh05t

One small suggestion: I think this should be a per-project setting, since although I'd like this setting on most projects, I usually also have some practice projects (ie using my daw as drum computer and amp sim / amp) where I would not want this functionality.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default Transfer from IID#2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy
im hoping this turns out to work more like cubase, which is much more efficient and robust...

for instance, if you'd like a count in counting you into the downbeat of a chorus, and the first thing you're going to do is play a chord as soon as it kicks in, well the transient of that chord is going to be ruined / gone / deleted unless reaper is recording in the background (ala cubase)

when you're done with the take, you just drag the left edge of the event / region, and wala, you have the transient preserved!

with protools-like quick punch, this is not possible as you would need a pre roll which would mean you'd never be able to do a count in style, you'd always have to hear whatever bars come before the chorus. sure this is fine in some situations, but with the cubase-like method, the user has the option to pre roll and still capture before the punch in, as well as count in and capture before the punch in. in pro tools, you are limited only to having a pre roll or a pre determined listening area before the punch in. this is not ideal as it does not leave it up to the user to determine what works best for the situation.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
AdamWathan

I think adding the feature exactly the way I suggested would allow you to do that joey, just because of how REAPER works under the hood.

If you enable a 2 bar count-in before recording in REAPER, it just starts playback from 2 bars earlier BUT mutes everything during those 2 bars. So it just functions as a muted preroll, which means REAPER would be recording under the hood during those 2 bars.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #17
Mercado_Negro

Transferred from the Tracker:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy
I think the behavior/functionality should be modeled more after cubase. The reason for this is because with pro tools method of quickpunch, you have no option but to use a pre-roll... in other words, you can't gain access to an early transient on a count-in punch..

So with the cubase style "always recording" method, we can always gain access to a few seconds ago without any system strain AND have the flexibility of choice between recording styles per situation (ie: you want to punch in a guitar chord with a count in instead of a pre roll)
Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
??

sorry for being a reaper forum newb

i do know about a lot of DAWS, as I own many of them
(cubase 3, nuendo 3, cubase 5, logic studio pro 9, pro tools hd 8, studio one...)

i got excited that this feature will probably actually get put in soon =]
joeymusicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
??

sorry for being a reaper forum newb

i do know about a lot of DAWS, as I own many of them
(cubase 3, nuendo 3, cubase 5, logic studio pro 9, pro tools hd 8, studio one...)

i got excited that this feature will probably actually get put in soon =]
The 12345 was just placeholder text because the forum requires a post have a certain number of characters (not including the quote)
Old 05-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
Bevosss

Voted for this too! Really handy for tracking imo.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #21
airon

Yep. Great for any recording engineer and/or artist. It had my vote the minute I realized I could use this to make life easier in Reaper.

Together with "Trim content behind media items when recording/editing" it's certainly a great enabler for more spontaneous performances.

And Reaper can always throw away the files of the recordings if nobody punched in by hitting Record during playback. Easy.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default Transfer from IID#2497 (please keep discussion, Q&A...out of the tracker)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatharsisStudios
reaper kinda has something like this already right? i just use time selection autopunch, it record from the second you hit record then you just extend your region right?

http://screencast.com/t/NWEwMGI3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan
Yes you're right CatharsisStudious, however this feature request is about getting that functionality implemented globally, so you can punch in with no punch out point, or punch in manually on the fly, or preserve what was played during a count in, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatharsisStudios
i am super down for that
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #23
Spyrow

I hope this gets some love in Reaper 4. I think it's the only thing left I really miss.
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #24
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyrow View Post
I hope this gets some love in Reaper 4. I think it's the only thing left I really miss.

It doesn't seem like it's going to happen yet. I wonder why... it doesn't seem like the hardest thing to implement... and it's one of the most basic features Reaper is missing vs the other major DAWs.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
AdamWathan

Bumpity bump bump bump.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #26
technogremlin

I could use this, so voted
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

Crap.. already voted
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #28
The Spark

Someones birthday has to be coming up soon, this would make an awesome gift for them!
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #29
Spyrow

Still dreaming for this... it would make my life so much easier... BUMP!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #30
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyrow View Post
Still dreaming for this... it would make my life so much easier... BUMP!!!
I am going to take the time to explain why this is so important for some of us.

Maybe most of the Reaper users are DIY producers/musicians and this is not an indispensable feature for them, I understand it. But some users are actually sound engineers who work on studios and have been working for years with ProTools/Logic/Nuendo...

When you are recording a different person (so you are not recording yourself) you don't need to set up any punch-in or out points, because you have the opportunity to do it on the fly.
For those who have been working for years, the ability to do the punchs on the fly is one of the best things to interact fast and responsive to what the artist is performing because MANY of the times you change what you had in your mind on the fly and you start before or after you thought, and you finish start or before you thought. If you are a good engineer, this interaction and this ability to decide on the fly based on the actual performance of the artist is crucial.

Right now in Reaper you can't do that if you use the "selected items" or "selected time" modes because you can't change those things on the fly while recording. You can't use either the normal mode because if you hit the record button too late you can screw up the take.

This last point is so important. In tape times, you had to nail the punch. But we are not in those times anymore, and with the tools available, why to risk again with your punch? There is no point in doing that, even if you are so good that you nail 99 times out of 100!
As a professional, screwing up a good take is one of the worst things you can do in the studio.
Even if you nail 100 out of 100, there are sometimes when the crossfade between a new take and the older one doesn't work in the point you thought and it's so useful to be able to search for another point BEFORE the punch.

I'm begging you, Reaper developers, please add Quick Punch so the people who are used to record this way can switch definitely to Reaper and deprecate once and forever the other @#%& daws.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #31
Cuppa Joe

Default Someone should develop a way to do this...

I fried a take today just because I didn't have QuickPunch-style punch-in. I'm sure it could be inplemented some way, similar to how REAPER can bounce the 2 mix in the background if you want to (awesome feature for live recording, trust me!) This program is SOOO close to the point where I can comfortably walk away from Avid forever.
Cuppa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
EpicSounds

crap already voted.

Another weird thing about "time selection autopunch" is that if you don't have a selection the previous and current takes are played simultaneous. Obviously very distracting for the performer.
If no selection is made and recording has started, only the input should be heard.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
Triode

Voted for this.

The main reason being it frees up the creativity knowing you're always in record as long as you hit record AT SOME POINT during a play pass.

Logic and Pro tools work this way. Think Cubase does too.
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
crap already voted.
haha, me too - hate that feeling
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #35
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Logic and Pro tools work this way. Think Cubase does too.
Yep, all the other major DAWs have this option.

I still think about this everyday, it would do my life easier now that I switched to Reaper as my main DAW for everyday use at the studio.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #36
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Crap.. already voted
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
crap already voted.
Shall I vote for you?

I've got only one vote either, so who will take the chance?

-Data
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #37
jnif

As a workaround for Reaper you can use the latest version of Playlist Scripts.
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=201
I added 'Dynamic Punch' feature which is similar to QuickPunch in PT.
You don't need to use any other Playlist functions. 'Dynamic Punch' should work with any track.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #38
Cuppa Joe

Default WOWOWOW

I'll give this a shot. I hope I can get it to work well
Cuppa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #39
JohnAngelo716

I would really really love to see this implemented. This is the only remaining thing I can think of that PT does better, and I feel bad even saying that! Cheers!
JohnAngelo716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #40
JohnAngelo716

I've been wishing for this feature for years. It's the last thing about Reaper that bugs me. Everything else is stellar! Devs, please add this!!!

Note: I was unable to vote on this feature and kept getting a 404 error.
JohnAngelo716 is offline   Reply With Quote