Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
intoxicat
Human being with feelings

Default 6.33 memory leak on M1 running in rosetta

The other day, after leaving reaper 6.33 running in rosetta mode overnight then doing some work in the morning I suddenly got a warning saying I had run out of memory. On inspection reaper was using 136GB(!) of memory. I managed to close some other applications, save and restart, after restart reaper was using around 2GB. I worked with it most of the day, at the end of the day memory use was around 3GB (9GB real). As an experiment I left it again overnight and when I came back this morning reaper memory use was up to around 8GB (12GB Real).

So something is leaking, but what? Is there any debugging I can do to find out if it is reaper or a plugin that is allocating?

Just to mention my project isn't particularly large. ~40 tracks, mostly plugins that I have used for a long time.
intoxicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:41 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

I guess the first thing to do would be to see if the same project has any issue if you remove all the plugins?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
intoxicat

thanks, yes that would be my next plan of action but I was just wondering if there were any debugging tools to hone in on the issue directly.

Having thought about it for a while it is very weird issue. The high memory use is only showing in the activity monitor's "memory" column. Real/Private/Shared and the memory reported by reaper itself in the performance meter are all within expected ranges.

For example right now activity monitor is showing:

Memory: 58GB
Real Mem: 10.5GB
Private Mem: 2GB
VM Compressed: 6.93
Virtual Mem: 15GB

Reaper is reporting ~11GB, roughly same a "Real Mem". Obs the machine itself only has 16GB of RAM, the maximum for an M1 machine.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
c00llin

I have the same problem and it is caused by Softube plugins. Everything was fine again when I removed them. There might be other plug-in brands with this problem.
c00llin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
maralatho

This happens to me after just a few minutes if I use the Zener Limiter plugin or the Zener-Bender plugin, but not the Curve Bender plug-in which is from the same Softube collection. No problem with any Waves plugins.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:33 AM   #6
intoxicat

Ah ok yes I also use a lot of Softube plugins. has either of you reported it to them?
Old 08-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
c00llin

No I haven’t reported it. So far it really only seems to be a problem with Softube plug-ins. I believe the M1 is not supported officially, hence I did not report it.
c00llin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
maralatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00llin View Post
No I haven’t reported it. So far it really only seems to be a problem with Softube plug-ins. I believe the M1 is not supported officially, hence I did not report it.
Same here. That's the issue right there: we have to wait for M1 support. They work fine on Intel.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #9
Goofball Jones

While it will probably persist, did you also try it with the ARM64 version of REAPER too? Since it would load the Softube plug-ins as a x86 bridged (unless Softube updated their plug-ins), you may be able to further narrow down exactly which one?
Goofball Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #10
intoxicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
While it will probably persist, did you also try it with the ARM64 version of REAPER too? Since it would load the Softube plug-ins as a x86 bridged (unless Softube updated their plug-ins), you may be able to further narrow down exactly which one?
Just got around to do this and yes the bridged plugins also leak. Softube Tape is a particular culprit and also one of my favourite plugins! Considering picking up up the new Baby Audio TAIP instead as Softube don't seem to have plans to improve matters in the very near future (see: https://twitter.com/kjnilsson/status...11958890508292 )

Shame to have to move away from Softube as I like their stuff and invested in the Console 1 mixing workflow but have to be able to get on with stuff for now at least.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #11
TheDudeAbides

I have a severe memory issue in a project with Reaper 6.36 on M1 Rosetta without using any Softube plugins. Reaper itself doesn't see any problems. For instance, currently its performance meter claims there are only 2GB used, but the MacOS Activity Monitor claims Reaper takes a whopping 20GB and the OS keeps popping up a window telling me I am running out of memory. I found that the RAM use reported by Reaper's Performance Meter is pretty useless. A helpful tool for debugging memory issues is going to View->FX Browser, selecting the suspected plugins and setting Run as -> Dedicated process. After the next restart of Reaper, all these VSTs show up as separate processes in the MacOS Activity Monitor, all named "reaper_host_x86_64". Which plugin is behind a particular process can be seen from double-clicking the process and selecting "Open Files and Ports".

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; 10-08-2021 at 07:25 PM.
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:28 AM   #12
intoxicat

I suppose it is likely that other plugins than Softube's also have these issues. Personally it is only when using Softube Tape that it causes and issue (and only if I launch the UI, if I never open the UI it is ok).
Old 11-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #13
intoxicat

Latest update ( 2.5.24) of many Softube plugins should address the memory leak issue in Rosetta mode (yay!):

I haven't tested it yet but good news anyway.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:58 AM   #14
norbury brook

are you guys on Monterey?

The OS has a confirmed memory leak issue. It's to do with non standard mouse pointers.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...as-been-found/

M
Old 04-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #15
maralatho

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicat View Post
Latest update ( 2.5.24) of many Softube plugins should address the memory leak issue in Rosetta mode (yay!):

I haven't tested it yet but good news anyway.
Yeah, it did fix the problem!

Of course, they're all now Apple Silicon-native too, so even better.