Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #81
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Thats fantastic. Deeply impressive

One of my next purchases is some form of solar panel stuff. Its lame that I havent explored such things sooner.
I'm totally into solar power and keep expanding my arsenal of items I can run using the two solar generator boxes I have now. We had a blackout last year that was going on into the night, and I realized I didn't have any means of making light that could last any length of time, but fortunately the power came back on just as it was getting dark.

The next day I bought the solar generator box on the left, this solar panel, and the USB powered LED lights in this pic that was taken when we had a three day blackout from an ice storm.

The box I built last week was for me a science project that now powers stuff on my patio, like an 18" USB powered ceiling fan, 8" USB table fan, USB lights, a 12v HDTV with HDMI and USB so I can plug my Roku into it.

For a test to see how long and how much I could run on my DIY solar box I connected a JBL speaker that needed a charge, 12v HDTV playing through the JBL, ceiling fan, and desk fan. I ran that with the solar panel connected from 9:00am until 8:30pm when it was getting dark. I disconnected the solar panel and connected two LED lights running it all on pure battery until 1:30am when I was burned out. The battery still had 40% charge and charged up to full with the panel in two hours.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/73/img...205_809557.jpg

I'm super impressed at how far I can go using juice I snatched from the Sun. My 12v HDTV and a Raspberry Pi could run all day and most of the night during a blackout.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:38 AM   #82
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm totally into solar power and keep expanding my arsenal of items I can run using the two solar generator boxes I have now. We had a blackout last year that was going on into the night, and I realized I didn't have any means of making light that could last any length of time, but fortunately the power came back on just as it was getting dark.

The next day I bought the solar generator box on the left, this solar panel, and the USB powered LED lights in this pic that was taken when we had a three day blackout from an ice storm.

The box I built last week was for me a science project that now powers stuff on my patio, like an 18" USB powered ceiling fan, 8" USB table fan, USB lights, a 12v HDTV with HDMI and USB so I can plug my Roku into it.

For a test to see how long and how much I could run on my DIY solar box I connected a JBL speaker that needed a charge, 12v HDTV playing through the JBL, ceiling fan, and desk fan. I ran that with the solar panel connected from 9:00am until 8:30pm when it was getting dark. I disconnected the solar panel and connected two LED lights running it all on pure battery until 1:30am when I was burned out. The battery still had 40% charge and charged up to full with the panel in two hours.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/73/img...205_809557.jpg

I'm super impressed at how far I can go using juice I snatched from the Sun. My 12v HDTV and a Raspberry Pi could run all day and most of the night during a blackout.
That all sounds great. Def all the kinda thing thats been added to my shopping list. Its pretty disgusting I havent done it before, and all the music hardware I have is battery powered, and low power, so it'd likely work really well for me, however slow things might charge in the UK. Better than nothing. Especially on good days. Every little helps.

Slightly about face in conversation... This just popped up, audio based Pi case -

maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #83
Glennbo

Quote:
That all sounds great. Def all the kinda thing thats been added to my shopping list. Its pretty disgusting I havent done it before, and all the music hardware I have is battery powered, and low power, so it'd likely work really well for me, however slow things might charge in the UK. Better than nothing. Especially on good days. Every little helps.
The all in one boxes that include a solar controller, an inverter for AC, the battery, and lots of ports are a great way to get started. I highly recommend this Beaudens 166 watt hour generator. Just add a solar panel and it's ready to rock.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAUDENS-Port.../dp/B07KPYSN3S

Quote:
Slightly about face in conversation... This just popped up, audio based Pi case -
I really like the design, but wish they had gotten more into testing the audio, especially to see what kind of latency can be achieved for music production, which is where stereo audio would be the most value for me.

For home theater use though, the native HDMI audio on a Raspberry Pi can do true multi-channel Dolby Surround. I have two Pis in service as home theater clients to a MythTV server (my previous DAW) running in the back room. The Pi clients are running Buster with Kodi, and in Kodi I can select multi-channel pass through audio using HDMI to the TV and S/PDIF from the TV to the Dolby Digital receiver, which then decodes the stream at the receiver into discreet channels.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #84
maxdembo

Quote:
The all in one boxes that include a solar controller, an inverter for AC, the battery, and lots of ports are a great way to get started. I highly recommend this Beaudens 166 watt hour generator. Just add a solar panel and it's ready to rock.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAUDENS-Port.../dp/B07KPYSN3S
Yeah, thats a great link, nice one. Thats made it much easier in terms starting point to understand the kinda thing I should be looking at. Thats saved me loads of searching about, thanks.

Quote:
I really like the design, but wish they had gotten more into testing the audio, especially to see what kind of latency can be achieved for music production, which is where stereo audio would be the most value for me.

For home theater use though, the native HDMI audio on a Raspberry Pi can do true multi-channel Dolby Surround. I have two Pis in service as home theater clients to a MythTV server (my previous DAW) running in the back room. The Pi clients are running Buster with Kodi, and in Kodi I can select multi-channel pass through audio using HDMI to the TV and S/PDIF from the TV to the Dolby Digital receiver, which then decodes the stream at the receiver into discreet channels.
He's not much of an audio dude I guess, and yeah, youre absolutely right, its not really much use to us. It seems like we're at a kind of creative SBLive stage of the Pi, but except anyone doing audio stuff is more likely to be using an interface and USB. And the HDMI audio.

Saying that tho... The Norns Shield I have has a separate DAC and headphone out, both significantly better sounding that the onboard interference ridden Pi3 onboard sound, plus its got a tiny tiny screen for small form factor. A small screen with no speakers is a cheaper starting point. I guess cos of the Norns Shield im thinking more of a mobile audio thing, small screen, no speakers, but better headphone out and also the stereo phono/reaper. Maybe a 6 inch touch screen or a bit bigger, Reaper template, basic DAC case with in/out, RPi4. I might add that to my list of things to get I just talked myself into something while typing this out Someone mentioned it here a while back, I think I shall give it a whirl.

And solar powered!

EDIT: This kinda thing - https://coolcomponents.co.uk/collect...qaudio-dac-pro

https://coolcomponents.co.uk/collect...ts/pibow-audio

And USB audio in/out of my Norns? Hmm. Or four outs into the Norns and anything else via the left/right, and the DAC headphone.

Last edited by maxdembo; 07-30-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #85
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah, thats a great link, nice one. Thats made it much easier in terms starting point to understand the kinda thing I should be looking at. Thats saved me loads of searching about, thanks.
When I was doing some researching, I found a video of a guy using a unit just like the one I linked to, powering his rack of midi keyboards and foot pedals, running it for an entire gig. He used a self powered PA, but everything else was on the little solar box.

Quote:
He's not much of an audio dude I guess, and yeah, youre absolutely right, its not really much use to us. It seems like we're at a kind of creative SBLive stage of the Pi, but except anyone doing audio stuff is more likely to be using an interface and USB. And the HDMI audio.
The native HDMI audio of a Pi has fairly high latency though, so I wouldn't try using it for audio production.

Quote:
Saying that tho... The Norns Shield I have has a separate DAC and headphone out, both significantly better sounding that the onboard interference ridden Pi3 onboard sound, plus its got a tiny tiny screen for small form factor. A small screen with no speakers is a cheaper starting point. I guess cos of the Norns Shield im thinking more of a mobile audio thing, small screen, no speakers, but better headphone out and also the stereo phono/reaper. Maybe a 6 inch touch screen or a bit bigger, Reaper template, basic DAC case with in/out, RPi4. I might add that to my list of things to get I just talked myself into something while typing this out Someone mentioned it here a while back, I think I shall give it a whirl.

And solar powered!

EDIT: This kinda thing - https://coolcomponents.co.uk/collect...qaudio-dac-pro

https://coolcomponents.co.uk/collect...ts/pibow-audio

And USB audio in/out of my Norns? Hmm. Or four outs into the Norns and anything else via the left/right, and the DAC headphone.
Some of those audio daughter boards are supposed to be pretty good, noise-wise and latency-wise. There's one that's geared specifically for DAW and other demanding audio, but I can't think of the name of it. I looked briefly into getting one, but in the end, if I were going to do audio production with my Pi, I'd probably buy a Behringer UMC404HD for it.

Edit: HiFiBerry was the board I briefly looked at.

https://www.hifiberry.com/

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-30-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:15 PM   #86
mschnell

The ELK / ALOHA guys claim extremely low latency for their RASPI 4 based system - seemingly using a very special dedicated version of Linux with propriety audio drivers.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #87
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The ELK / ALOHA guys claim extremely low latency for their RASPI 4 based system - seemingly using a very special dedicated version of Linux with propriety audio drivers.
-Michael
The way I look at it is a Raspberry Pi is essentially a small Linux computer, and as such it supports the same high quality external USB audio hardware that my full sized Linux computer uses, so why go with some small proprietary Pi board that might not even be seen by REAPER?

I'm 100% positive that I can plug a low latency Class Compliant audio device into both a Pi3 B+ and Pi4, and it will function well in REAPER coz I've done it with both platforms.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:21 PM   #88
maxdembo

Quote:
When I was doing some researching, I found a video of a guy using a unit just like the one I linked to, powering his rack of midi keyboards and foot pedals, running it for an entire gig. He used a self powered PA, but everything else was on the little solar box.

The native HDMI audio of a Pi has fairly high latency though, so I wouldn't try using it for audio production.

Some of those audio daughter boards are supposed to be pretty good, noise-wise and latency-wise. There's one that's geared specifically for DAW and other demanding audio, but I can't think of the name of it. I looked briefly into getting one, but in the end, if I were going to do audio production with my Pi, I'd probably buy a Behringer UMC404HD for it.

Edit: HiFiBerry was the board I briefly looked at.

https://www.hifiberry.com/

Hifi berry, yup, that was the other one I saw around when seeing what was available when I first started trying to get my head round what this Pi thing was all about

This would be for out and about noise maker to pair with the Norns, rather than audio production as such. For audio already, I have the Tascam Model 12, the Focusrite 18i8, and a Zoom H5 which works as a low latency USB interface, so I'm kinda already covered there. The all in one hifi Pi case would just be another option, with maybe less to carry around. With the option of carrying more stuff, and having instant wireless keyboard, tiny screen, etc.

The Norns itself acts as an audio interface too, and is Pi3 based with an addon DAC board, running its own OS and scripts. So just having Reaper either doing basic kicking out sound out, synced, or just doing basic recording, while out and about would be awesome. Otherwise its recording straight to the Norns, or straight to the Zoom. Recording straight to Reaper and then bringing it home ready to plug into a monitor/proper interface would be awesome. Tiny portable Reaper, smaller than a laptop.

I've sworn off Behringer, for reasons

It'd be a fun project, or taking one for the team getting it up and running

Its a bit low down the list of priorities atm, other crap to buy first. This in two weeks time -

Been on the waiting list for TWO YEARS for it

EDIT: And if/when I eventually get round to BFD on Reaper Linux Pi (), I can use contact mics at the beach to do live remixes with Reaper, contact mics triggering BFD and effects, live remixing of existing tracks with external effects and full reaper control, midi and CV.

As we know tho, I've done next to naff all so far and been posting about bfd fucking pi linux bastard thing for months now

Last edited by maxdembo; 07-30-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:33 AM   #89
mschnell

Quote:
I'm 100% positive that I can plug a low latency Class Compliant audio device into both a Pi3 B+ and Pi4, and it will function well in REAPER coz I've done it with both platforms.
I have no idea what the ALOHA guys did. Maybe they introduced a new audio subsystem.

I remember that I once at work had contact with a company that did a propriety TCP/IP stack (including Ethernet hardware divers) that worked in a "zero copy" way, using the same memory location for a data block sent and received via network in all transport layers of the network stack. This dramatically improved the performance of the system. They used this to build routers.

Maybe ALOHA is based on a similar idea for the audio stack.

-Michael
Old 07-31-2021, 09:40 AM   #90
Glennbo

Quote:
Hifi berry, yup, that was the other one I saw around when seeing what was available when I first started trying to get my head round what this Pi thing was all about

This would be for out and about noise maker to pair with the Norns, rather than audio production as such. For audio already, I have the Tascam Model 12, the Focusrite 18i8, and a Zoom H5 which works as a low latency USB interface, so I'm kinda already covered there. The all in one hifi Pi case would just be another option, with maybe less to carry around. With the option of carrying more stuff, and having instant wireless keyboard, tiny screen, etc.

The Norns itself acts as an audio interface too, and is Pi3 based with an addon DAC board, running its own OS and scripts. So just having Reaper either doing basic kicking out sound out, synced, or just doing basic recording, while out and about would be awesome. Otherwise its recording straight to the Norns, or straight to the Zoom. Recording straight to Reaper and then bringing it home ready to plug into a monitor/proper interface would be awesome. Tiny portable Reaper, smaller than a laptop.

I've sworn off Behringer, for reasons

It'd be a fun project, or taking one for the team getting it up and running

Its a bit low down the list of priorities atm, other crap to buy first. This in two weeks time -

Been on the waiting list for TWO YEARS for it

EDIT: And if/when I eventually get round to BFD on Reaper Linux Pi (), I can use contact mics at the beach to do live remixes with Reaper, contact mics triggering BFD and effects, live remixing of existing tracks with external effects and full reaper control, midi and CV.

As we know tho, I've done next to naff all so far and been posting about bfd fucking pi linux bastard thing for months now
That's some crazy shit with the rubber bands and touch pads!

I once fitted a pair of Nikes with piezo elements and quarter inch jacks hanging out the back to be "Trigger Shoes". I could plug them into a Roland Octapad I had at the time and play kick and snare with my feet, while holding the Octapad on one arm and playing it with a single stick using the other.

A guitarist friend of mine insisted that I bring this stoopid rig out and sit in with his band. I played a few songs and was going to split, but the crowd begged me to keep playing coz they thought it was so weird. I ended up playing a whole set, and was thoroughly worn out afterward.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #91
maxdembo

Quote:
That's some crazy shit with the rubber bands and touch pads!

I once fitted a pair of Nikes with piezo elements and quarter inch jacks hanging out the back to be "Trigger Shoes". I could plug them into a Roland Octapad I had at the time and play kick and snare with my feet, while holding the Octapad on one arm and playing it with a single stick using the other.

A guitarist friend of mine insisted that I bring this stoopid rig out and sit in with his band. I played a few songs and was going to split, but the crowd begged me to keep playing coz they thought it was so weird. I ended up playing a whole set, and was thoroughly worn out afterward.
I love that the knobs on ENNER are also for use with more rubber bands or other piezo appropriate thing. No reason why they cant be vaguely tuned And/or shove it thru some autotune

https://somasynths.com/enner_specs/

HAhaah, that is all amazing about the trigger shoes Thats the kinda gig I like the sound of too
Old 07-31-2021, 09:57 AM   #92
maxdembo

I suspect I'll start using some form of 'sticky tape and bare wire' patching at some point
Old 07-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #93
Glennbo

Quote:
I have no idea what the ALOHA guys did. Maybe they introduced a new audio subsystem.

I remember that I once at work had contact with a company that did a propriety TCP/IP stack (including Ethernet hardware divers) that worked in a "zero copy" way, using the same memory location for a data block sent and received via network in all transport layers of the network stack. This dramatically improved the performance of the system. They used this to build routers.

Maybe ALOHA is based on a similar idea for the audio stack.

-Michael
As long as it shows up as a normal ALSA device, it ought to work with REAPER. That would be my main concern with any proprietary Raspberry Pi audio device and why I figger that a Class Compliant USB device would be the simplest goof proof way to go.

Of course, if someone else has already tested and proven a proprietary Raspberry Pi audio device to work well with REAPER, that's another story.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #94
Glennbo

Quote:
I love that the knobs on ENNER are also for use with more rubber bands or other piezo appropriate thing. No reason why they cant be vaguely tuned And/or shove it thru some autotune

HAhaah, that is all amazing about the trigger shoes Thats the kinda gig I like the sound of too
Quote:
I suspect I'll start using some form of 'sticky tape and bare wire' patching at some point
Get a set of these,

https://www.amazon.com/DrumDial-Drum.../dp/B01N584LE7

and zip them up into the many pockets of one of these!

https://www.amazon.com/Propper-Nomex...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Instant flight suit drum controller!
Old 07-31-2021, 10:25 AM   #95
maxdembo

Quote:
Get a set of these,

https://www.amazon.com/DrumDial-Drum.../dp/B01N584LE7

and zip them up into the many pockets of one of these!

https://www.amazon.com/Propper-Nomex...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Instant flight suit drum controller!
Already got the mics, just need the drumpsuit

Maybe this would be a bit more generative? Bit more suited to solo performing -

Last edited by maxdembo; 07-31-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #96
Glennbo

Quote:
Already got the mics, just need the drumpsuit

Maybe this would be a bit more generative? Bit more suited to solo performing -

Heck, just skip the suit and attach the piezo triggers directly to your body like Terry does.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:12 AM   #97
mschnell

Quote:
As long as it shows up as a normal ALSA device, it ought to work with REAPER.
I doubt that it shows up as ALSA, but I don't really know...
-Michael
Old 07-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #98
Glennbo

Quote:
I doubt that it shows up as ALSA, but I don't really know...
-Michael
Well, I took a peek on the ELK forum where someone asked if the Audio Injector Octo Sound Card would work to which this was the reply.

Quote:
If you use the Audio Injector Octo Sound Card, you will have to write your own Real-time audio driver with the help of RTDM frame work provided by the Xenomai guys. The existing driver for Octo sound card is an ALSA driver and it wont be useful with ELK Audio OS
Edit: It looks like it will work with a HiFiBerry though.

https://elk.audio/hifiberry-elk-bundle/

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-31-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:10 PM   #99
mschnell

Quote:
It looks like it will work with a HiFiBerry though.
https://elk.audio/hifiberry-elk-bundle/
This is good news. Seemingly they did the RTDM frame driver for that hardware.

Anyway, supposedly no ALSA and hence no Reaper.

In a perfect world, Reaper should provide a RTDM frame link . Does not seem like impossible...

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-01-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:19 AM   #100
maxdembo

https://thepihut.com/products/hifiberry-dac2-pro-xlr

Ha! Has a case too.

https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...eel-case-black

"You can control the input and output parameters using “alsamixer” or any application that supports ALSA mixer controls"
Old 08-01-2021, 07:01 AM   #101
Glennbo

Quote:
https://thepihut.com/products/hifiberry-dac2-pro-xlr

Ha! Has a case too.

https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...eel-case-black

"You can control the input and output parameters using “alsamixer” or any application that supports ALSA mixer controls"
That looks pretty badass!

Now they need to make one like that, but with 4 or 8 XLR inputs.

Edit: I was searching around for Raspberry Pi hats and found this MIDI jukebox stack a guy made to drive a Roland SC55. The top board is an LCD screen.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-01-2021 at 09:17 AM.