Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #41
MarkFrancombe
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennals View Post
In Reaper you have to set up a track to operate as a conduit for both midi and audio. Then you set up more tracks to accept audio coming from Reason, and more again to send MIDI to Reason and all of it gets routed through that original conduit track.

Bill.
WAIT A GODDARNED MINUTE!!... Whta are you doing here.. you confabulated me... Now I am a long time Reaper user on the PC, but having switched to Mac have only just tried the X Version... but on the PC version, there was simply an effect (Rewire blah di blah) that you added to a track and lo and behold Reason would launch, and synch right to Reaper, with Reasons Stereo out being routed into this track on Reaper. Now.. what was it you did..?

Is this PC method gonna be implemented, or is it already another way that I cant see (am a computer dunderhead)

yours

Mark
MarkFrancombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #42
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFrancombe View Post
WAIT A GODDARNED MINUTE!!... Whta are you doing here.. you confabulated me... Now I am a long time Reaper user on the PC, but having switched to Mac have only just tried the X Version... but on the PC version, there was simply an effect (Rewire blah di blah) that you added to a track and lo and behold Reason would launch, and synch right to Reaper, with Reasons Stereo out being routed into this track on Reaper. Now.. what was it you did..?

Is this PC method gonna be implemented, or is it already another way that I cant see (am a computer dunderhead)

yours

Mark
The same way should work on OS X as on Windows.. for me I see "Rewire: Reason" in my FX list..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #43
MarkFrancombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The same way should work on OS X as on Windows.. for me I see "Rewire: Reason" in my FX list..
Well I checked, double checked, and triple checked... no Rewire:Reason shows up in MY effects list!!!

Great News though! Hope you can figure it out..
Old 06-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #44
axel_ef

Default Toontrack works

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post
It works good on my 10.4.9, but with Toontrack EZDrummer (AUi) I have no sound from the drums.
I tested it once more and find that it was only when playing grooves on the toontrack gui. Drag and drop to the track works, the sound is playing now.
But all that works only with the VSTi, loading as AUi crashes Reaper.
axel_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #45
Tom Drinkwater

hmm, my MIDI dropped data problem went away when i plugged the keyboard in thru an actual MIDI cable rather than the usb connection, however the usb connection worked fine on other hosts

i don't know what to make of that, but at least i have a workaround.
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 AM   #46
bennals

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, you still launch that plugin to set up a connection with Reason. I guess having it all go through one track (the one I called the conduit) in Reaper, then bussing the different outputs from Reason from that one conduit track to wherever you want it to go is different to the way I'm familiar with in DP.

Justin, do I understand it right that you cant instantiate more than one of the Reason:Rewire plugins in a single project?

Bill.

Last edited by bennals; 06-15-2008 at 05:59 AM.
bennals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #47
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, you still launch that plugin to set up a connection with Reason. I guess having it all go through one track (the one I called the conduit) in Reaper, then bussing the different outputs from Reason from that one conduit track to wherever you want it to go is different to the way I'm familiar with in DP.

Justin, do I understand it right that you cant instantiate more than one of the Reason:Rewire plugins in a single project?

Bill.
You should be able to instantiate different ReWire applications, but correct you cannot create 2 of one app.

If you want control over more of the I/O, then you can route the outputs to other tracks etc...
Old 06-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #48
MarkFrancombe

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, you still launch that plugin to set up a connection with Reason.
Bill.
BUT.. Where IS that plugin... I promise... I just dont see it in my FX list!!! Aint there! Is it a inbuilt bit of Reaper Justin, or could I have neglected to do something else on my system, like a weird Reason installation?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #49
bennals

Quote:
BUT.. Where IS that plugin... I promise... I just dont see it in my FX list!!! Aint there! Is it a inbuilt bit of Reaper Justin, or could I have neglected to do something else on my system, like a weird Reason installation?
Do you see a Rewire subsection between 'Instruments' and 'AU' when you hit the 'Add' button in the FX chain window?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #50
rcane

Anyone have the transport disappear when you choose View-Mixer? Not all the time--I'm not seeing a pattern.

If you uncheck View-Transport and then go back in and recheck, it comes back and stays if the mixer's open and you close and open the mixer.

MacBook Pro 2.16gh, 2 gigs Ram, Running 10.4.11
rcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #51
davidamnesia

Default 10.5.3 and a coupla issues

Just setting up a new MBP 2.6ghz 4gb ram, 10.5.3

1) Reaper crash with another app (Traktor) open; launches fine after closing other app. will test more cases.

2) With demo project open, fails to open another .rpp by double-clicking on the second one, but will load from file menu.
davidamnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #52
davidamnesia

Default Crash on VST clear cache and rescan

Yeah. That's about it. MBP 2.6g 4gb RAM 10.5.3

db: email me at open labs if you want the crash dump.
davidamnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:40 AM   #53
MarkFrancombe

Quote:
Do you see a Rewire subsection between 'Instruments' and 'AU' when you hit the 'Add' button in the FX chain window?
No I dont.. !!! Is it something I should have installed with Reason?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #54
bennals

Quote:
No I dont.. !!! Is it something I should have installed with Reason?
It's not something you need to install separately from Reason. Try looking in this folder on your hard drive:

Hard drive/Library/Application Support

You should see a folder named 'Propellerhead Software'.

Inside that folder should be another folder named 'Rewire' and in that should be some files called 'Rewire', 'Rewire.bundle' and 'Reason Engine.plugin'.

If you have all those files you should be ok. I'd try a 'Reaper' reinstall if that is the case. If those files aren't there, I'd do a complete reinstall of Reason.

Bill.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #55
Tallisman

I encountered a strange issue last night for the first time...
Probably Pilot error, but no matter what I did, the Arrange Window would not allow any other window on top/over it. No other Reaper window (ie. the midi editor would hid behind the arrange window), and no other Leopard window.

Last night's workaround was to send the arrange window to the dock to edit midi notes... or peek at this forum.

Interesting note: When the arrange window was in the dock and I changed screen sets, the arrange would stay in the dock, but restore to the correct position for the active screen-set. that was cool.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #56
Justin
Administrator

Yeah, there's some wonkiness due to the hackery required to make REAPER windows stay above the main REAPER window.. I'll see if I can't improve it..
Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #57
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah, there's some wonkiness due to the hackery required to make REAPER windows stay above the main REAPER window.. I'll see if I can't improve it..
you are awesome!
thanks!
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:14 AM   #58
Kainer

got some weird behavoir of docking battery3. sometimes if it is docked, it appears in all dock-windows and cover the mixer, the midieditor..whatever there is next to the battery3-dock-window.

as I free the pluginwindow from the docker, everything seems normal, but from this time on I can´t change the drumkits in battery3. the scrollmenu doesn´t open anymore.

if there´s time...anyone of your script-professionels should check this.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #59
turtles

Default slow macs and current build

For those not sure if they want to take a dip with their old macs, I offer my personal experience:

1Ghz, 512mb, G4 powerbook, OSX10.5, firewire to Tascam 1804
Fired up this build of reaper last night, recorded a live session (18 inputs) at 24-bit without a single click or stutter.

With a bit of ingenious routing and sparing use of processor-hungry fx, a perfectly serviceable demo popped out the other end. (Remember, kids, offline track rendering for processor-heavy fx is an easy way of cutting the processor overhead)

Bottom line- don't bin your slower mac; look on it as a blast-proof (and cheaper) multitrack.
turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #60
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtles View Post
For those not sure if they want to take a dip with their old macs, I offer my personal experience:

1Ghz, 512mb, G4 powerbook, OSX10.5, firewire to Tascam 1804
Fired up this build of reaper last night, recorded a live session (18 inputs) at 24-bit without a single click or stutter.

With a bit of ingenious routing and sparing use of processor-hungry fx, a perfectly serviceable demo popped out the other end. (Remember, kids, offline track rendering for processor-heavy fx is an easy way of cutting the processor overhead)

Bottom line- don't bin your slower mac; look on it as a blast-proof (and cheaper) multitrack.
What buffer size did you use?
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #61
Per Lichtman

While trying to put together an illustrated Reaper OS X installation manual for a friend of mine I ran into some issues. Most notably, I could not finish writing the manual because the system kept crashing.

Problem: The system frequently crashes in conjunction with Reaper. The crashes occur in two types.

Type 1: Reaper runs fine and closes properly. A short while later (usually less than 3-5 minutes) normal system operations (such as web browsing) cause the "gray restart screen" to appear.

Type 2: Running Reaper at the same time as other programs causes the "gray restart screen" to appear. This time the error happens while Reaper is still running. For instance, I have been unable to run "Grab" for very long while running Reaper and ditto for FireFox.

Note: The crashes only happen on boots where Reaper has been run. I've been spending the last couple hours testing reproducibility and have only been able to get crashes on boots where I run Reaper.

System: G5 Dual 2.5 GHz

Has anybody else encountered similar difficulties? Any idea what might be causing the problem?

I have already tried running Disk Warrior and Disk Utility; flushing the "Reaper" folder in "Applications"; hiding VSTs from Reaper; switching audio interfaces and running on the versions of OS X mentioned above.
Per Lichtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #62
kerryg

Default I've not seen that behaviour at all,

REAPER runs like a top over here.

What audio interface are you using? Have you tried just using internal audio to eliminate the audio drivers as a variable?
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #63
Per Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
REAPER runs like a top over here.

What audio interface are you using? Have you tried just using internal audio to eliminate the audio drivers as a variable?
Yes, that was one of the first steps I took. Running with built-in audio did not change the results.
Per Lichtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #64
Jeronimo

The only real recording session I did with Reaper took something like 4 or 5 hours non stop without a glitch.
Also I mixed 2 songs for a friend, took a whole day without a glitch.
Macbook 10.4.8 at the time. I don´t remember Reaper version I was using...
Old 06-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #65
turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
What buffer size did you use?
Whatever Reaper's standard settings are... didn't change anything. Installed the tascam drivers, installed reaper, connected the two together, that was it.
Me Like.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #66
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtles View Post
Whatever Reaper's standard settings are... didn't change anything. Installed the tascam drivers, installed reaper, connected the two together, that was it.
Me Like.
If you don´t mind taking a look at it...
I think it´s under preferences/audio

You didn´t do any overdubs right? Just regular live recording?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #67
turtles

Reaper's buffer is set at 1200ms, Tascam driver native latency set at 2ms, sampling at 44100. Default disk read and write buffers.

I was just doing a straight multitrack record of a live stage. No overdubs.
Mixing down later, I got 4 EQs, 1 reverb set up as a send, 1 chorus as a single-track insert, and a multiband compressor over the master, before things started getting clicky in the audio playback. I used the bundled VST EQ and the Apple AU reverb and multiband comp. Usual use of level/fx/eq automation in there too.

Admittedly it's not going to cut it for heavy use of convolution reverbs or big chorus fx, but I'd probably process those offline first, I think.

The fact that Reaper can do this in a pre 1.0 build, on fairly aged PPC kit, is not far short of amazing.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #68
mrelwood

When trying to render to mp3, I get the error message familiar from the windows side:

"Error: I need lame_enc.dll to encode MP3!"

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but OS X doesn't use dll files.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #69
HobbyCore

Excellent work!
HobbyCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #70
bennals

Just noticed another quirk with Kjaerhus Audio's MPL-1 Pro SE. The settings don't seem to get saved with the project. Each time you re-open the project the settings revert to the default. It's the only plug I've seen that does it so far but I haven't really been checking that closely.

Also, the free AU transient shaper from Flux 'Bittersweet II' crashes Reaper consistently. It works fine in DP. Audio Damage's 'Reverence' doesn't pass audio either.

Cheers.

Bill.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #71
Albatorus

Default Due to Steinberg bad policy and lack on intelligence

REAPER will Kick steinberg s ass
they recently changed their prices from 899 to 599 e !!! (not dollars)
I think it s not enough
it s pathetic
I m keeping an eyes on reaper on mac AND pc cause I need a sequencer for BOTH platforms
So as soon as the mac osx version is stable and that I can work on pc AND mac I just change sequencer
And if it Worx from an USB key ?? EVEN better
You go to the recording studio or a band s place yopu can work with you own license
THAT is great !!!
No dongle no nothing
I will spread the word around me and BLOG about it I have a 54 000 visits and it s growin and growin
I give you a tip : Howie B produced me one single
:b
Albatorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #72
bennals

Hello everyone.

I mentioned this before in relation to what seemed to be a quirk running Reaper on a hackintosh but it seems it may not be limited to that.

Using the shift key as a scroll wheel modifier (to go left and right in the conventional manner) doesn't seem to work in conjunction with a USB mouse plugged into my fully legit MacBook either (1.83, 10.4.11). It does work with the trackpad built into the Macbook however. I've tried setting the trackpad to be ignored when a USB mouse is plugged in via System Preferences but it made no difference.

Can someone running Reaper on a Apple desktop machine (without a trackpad) please check whether the shift key works as a modifier for the scroll wheel?

If not, perhaps that could be looked at Justin.

Also, I would love it if using the scroll wheel (or navigating via the keyboard) could be made to operate more smoothly or with a finer degree. Sometimes when zoomed in, scrolling left or right results in such a large jump that I can lose where I am. It also seems that one scroll action down is equivalent to two scroll actions up (they're not symmetrical, if you know what I mean).

Cheers.

Bill.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #73
Tom Drinkwater

with the mouse over the middle of the window the scroll wheel changes zoom, alt scroll modifies it to scroll left and right

vertical scroll on the right hand scroll bars appears symmetrical

shift and scroll wheel stops the wheel working

Mac G5 dual 1.8ghz osx 10.4.11

Last edited by Tom Drinkwater; 07-04-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: edited cos i got alt and shift confused...
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #74
bennals

Thanks Tom. That would seem to confirm my findings on the shift key. Clicking on the scroll buttons is symmetrical here as well, but it's the scroll messages sent by the scroll wheel and keyboard command that appear asymmetrical.

Any chance of a look at this one Justin? I use other apps where shift to scroll left and right are used all the time and I'm getting confused when I come back to Reaper.

Cheers.

Bill.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #75
steveoath

I shall be a willing tester :-)
Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #76
labyrinth

Latest release (2.4)

DOWNLOAD
Old 07-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #77
bennals

Yes, I was waiting for this thread to be updated by Justin before mentioning that there seems to be some glitchy graphics happening on the main page (after vertical scrolling) with this build (not present in 2.31 build). But, now that the cats out of the bag...

Bill.

Last edited by bennals; 07-11-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #78
kerryg

Default I can reproduce the glitchy scrolling here too.

Or I should say graphics. I get around it by switching to another theme and back, but it's a bit tiresome.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #79
bennals

Yes, even calling up the mixer then closing it seems to reset the graphics correctly (I don't have the mixer docked).
Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #80
semiquaver

Default Plogue Bidule GUI wierdness

Using the Plogue Bidule VSTi you get all kinds of wierdness - gui disappears when clicked - can reappear behind and above the fx window - clicking the GUI button in the fx window closes the fx window - bits of the gui can persist when the fx window is closed etc etc.

this is the 2.4 @ LandOLeet G5 os 10.4.9
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote