Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
spottydog10
Human being with feelings

Default is this clipping or something else?

Hi,
Got this vocal today recorded in Cubase 7 (mate of mine works in a small studio)

https://soundcloud.com/spottydog10/vocliptest

There appears to be distortion on it but it wasn't that hot a signal going in, decent enough mic, an sE Electronics Z3300a Condenser.
My vocal is normally not great but this sounds a bit odd.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voc1.jpg (26.4 KB, 230 views)
spottydog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Stress

I don't here any distortion but I do here some bad eq(or more like no eq). There is some ringing and low mid resonance.

It sounds like you are singing into a hollow tube. The between the first and second word it is obvious.

Try EQ'ing it properly.
Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
spottydog10

Hi Stress,
I've equed it on this clip

https://soundcloud.com/spottydog10/vocequed

Which sounds better but the problem is I have 3 mins of vocal all with different eq problems practically on every phrase.
Can you think how I could have gotten these errors?
I was about 8 inches away from the mic with a pop shield.

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Stu

Sounds like you have captured quite a lot of (bad) room reflections, I'm guessing you weren't in a vocal booth? Unfortunately, because of the way acoustics and resonance work you will find that it can change dramatically depending on what note you are singing, how loud etc which explains the different EQ problems in each phrase.

Solution? Record it again, either with a reflection filter or in a vocal booth if possible. If not those, you could try recording in different parts of the room to see if you can get a better sound, but at the end of the day you will still be getting too much (of the wrong kind) of the room sound in there unless you take steps to dampen or kill the room resonance.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
Hi Stress,
I've equed it on this clip

https://soundcloud.com/spottydog10/vocequed

Which sounds better but the problem is I have 3 mins of vocal all with different eq problems practically on every phrase.
Can you think how I could have gotten these errors?
I was about 8 inches away from the mic with a pop shield.

Thanks
Mike
Resonance occurs due to the geometry and materials of the "instrument". Be it a voice in room or a string on a violin, if the sound is off then things must change.

If necessary you can eq each phrase. EQ is never the ideal solution because it is fixing a problem. Ideally you do not want the problem in the first place(since EQ'ing is not an exact science).

As Stu suggests, redo the vocals if you can.

1. Use the proper mic. Condensers are not always best. Try different mics.
2. Use proper mic placement. The middle of the room is almost always bad as is being close to a corner.
3. The less of the room you want to capture the more you will have to deaden it. A dead room isn't necessarily great but better than one that is to alive or has major issues.
4. Make sure you sing properly. Certain vowel sounds can make some things sound worse than others. Mic technique is also crucial here.
5. Take multiple takes. You can cut and paste the best phrases like the pro's do.
6. All in all, use your head. If something isn't sounding right then it's wrong. Spend a little time thinking about what is wrong and try to fix it(which sometimes is just trying something different).
Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
spottydog10

Thanks guys,
I agree with everything your saying.
Unfortunately, that's the best take I have
(I already did another take, better sound, worse performance)
I'll have another crack at it.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
jacobestes

Keep at it til you get something you love, or abandon the whole project.

Remember, you'll have it for far longer than you spent recording it. If you don't like it, you'll have ages to think about what you don't like.

At the very least, when you keep trying to get a better take, you'll get practice doing the whole process. That practice will pay off in everything you do in the future.

Don't beat yourself up or anything, but definitely don't spend more time "fixing" something than you would spend "doing" something.

I heard recently, "The difference between good and great is ten minutes."

And enjoy the process!