Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Alsklaftsk123
Human being with feelings

Default Why is mac so popular?

Why is mac so popular in music/media industry? I mean, you can get the same specs on a pc for half the price. Im not hating on mac, i just wonder why.
Alsklaftsk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
vdubreeze

It's the operating system. Those who prefer to use OSX over Windows by the margin that they do (like myself) have always considered it worthwhile to spend that extra to sit in front of OSX instead of Windows or Linux. Though the difference has surely lessened over the years, old habits do die hard : )
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
dptkby

The impression I get is that the competitors are making it too easy for Apple--rather than Apple doing anything really special, the makers of the iPhone and iPad and Macbook ripoffs release products with glaring inconsistencies and awkward features that should be noticed by anyone who actually tried to use the device for an hour or two. Apple seem to be the best at making their stuff as comfortable to use as you'd expect, which is surely harder to do than it sounds .
dptkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
danfuerth

Litterarly installed windows 8 rtm on this MSI laptop no drivers were needed NOT EVEN FOR onboard wifi. Windows 8 has onboard wifi drivers now so for laptop users ( internal onboard cards) this is fantastic. Not even some linux distros work out of the box with wifi.

Point short here

Windows 8 boots in 6 seconds. From boot menu to desktop

This is very impressive all services are set to OFF-Run-OFF as I explained in a previous post by default. Windows 8 is going to be very good for a DAW and Video editing as Windows 7 already smokes with Avid Media Composer 6 and Adobe Premiere pro 6 with the mercury engine which makes Final Cut look like a Toy.

The OS has never been the problem as again explained on another post.

I have been running XP PRO since 2001 up to now.

The software has gotten 100 times better over the years, all Daws, VSTs, Vsti's, video editing apps .

So the issue here is simply Apple's mentality of "only we say what goes inside the mac" has serve them well. But it has also shut them out of many Apps out there. Let's be serious here these days all major Apps are on Windows 7/ OS X ( FreeBSD) and they are both good on both systems.

So these days one can say whatever makes you confortable. but for me I need the compatibility and the tools that are not on OSX.

Again the OS was never the problem it has not been since XP came out in 2001. It was sloppy software that was the problem.

My systems have been running XP since 2001 and software from 11 years ago worked then and new software works now as well.

However Windows 8 is my OS, every tweek, every idea, every change needed is in Windows 8. It's like they been watching me.

Even my idea of the services having 3 states I have been doing that for years with Batch files albeit it's a manual process, now in windows 8 a service is off, then triggers, then goes off again.

Windows 8 is kicking ass, and I will install it on all systems.
I was an XP fanatic but running windows 8 is completely different.

They forgot about eyecandy and spent time tweeking.

6 second boot, from the windows 8 boot menu to the desktop. The internal laptop drive is in IDE mode as XP is installed on here as well.

You need to kill Metro with Windows8 powershell it is very small and get's you back not just the start menu but a much better one!!!

As for brand image, Apple spends over $1 billion a year on marketing, should explain itself.
As for as enterprise ( clients servers) apple can't hack it on that market as MS has that tight hence why Apple killed Xservers line.

Last edited by danfuerth; 08-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Cosmic

There was once a time,long long ago,when Macs were WAYYY more user friendly for the non techie minded creative person.Thus those creative types adopted Mac and most stayed with it once there.I was one of them,until I realised windoze had caught up,and so the lure of cheaper higher powered machines won me over.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
PAPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
There was once a time,long long ago,when Macs were WAYYY more user friendly for the non techie minded creative person.Thus those creative types adopted Mac and most stayed with it once there.I was one of them,until I realised windoze had caught up,and so the lure of cheaper higher powered machines won me over.
This is it.

People still think it's 1995.

Also, Apple made it into the studio first.
Why is Pro Tools the industry standard?
It's not because it's so great, but because it got there first and got established.
PAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
braveness23

I JUST signed up for this forum and am about to purchase Reaper. I'm curious to see how this thread goes and if it turns into a pissing match like so many other forums I have observed. I'm hopeful that this stays civil.

I personally use Windows 7 x64 on a 2ish year old laptop and am quite happy with it. I ONLY use music software that comes with identical versions for PC/Mac so I can move platform without much hassle if I am so inclined. Given this, there is extraordinary little difference and I think it comes down to personal preference.

There are a couple of things I think the Mac handles slightly better but it is mostly based on hear-say and Mac vs PC hear-say is usually so laden with personal bias that its hard to really judge the truth. It is my understanding that audio latency is a bit better on the Mac but the demands I place on my machine are pretty modest so I'm not ready to abandon ship just for that. The real feature that Mac supposedly has that that Windows simply does not have is the built in ability to create an aggregated audio device in the audio control panel on the Mac. I've got a ton of audio input devices that I want to be able to use simultaneously and even using the beloved ASIO4All driver it is a pretty weak experience on Windows. I'm not ready to fork out an additional grand or more so I sadly do without.
braveness23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveness23 View Post
I JUST signed up for this forum and am about to purchase Reaper. I'm curious to see how this thread goes and if it turns into a pissing match like so many other forums I have observed. I'm hopeful that this stays civil.

I personally use Windows 7 x64 on a 2ish year old laptop and am quite happy with it. I ONLY use music software that comes with identical versions for PC/Mac so I can move platform without much hassle if I am so inclined. Given this, there is extraordinary little difference and I think it comes down to personal preference.

There are a couple of things I think the Mac handles slightly better but it is mostly based on hear-say and Mac vs PC hear-say is usually so laden with personal bias that its hard to really judge the truth. It is my understanding that audio latency is a bit better on the Mac but the demands I place on my machine are pretty modest so I'm not ready to abandon ship just for that. The real feature that Mac supposedly has that that Windows simply does not have is the built in ability to create an aggregated audio device in the audio control panel on the Mac. I've got a ton of audio input devices that I want to be able to use simultaneously and even using the beloved ASIO4All driver it is a pretty weak experience on Windows. I'm not ready to fork out an additional grand or more so I sadly do without.
Welcome to the forum and REAPER!

Great first post.

Yeah,the MACS handling of audio does seem to be more sophisticated these days..I forgot about that.Lower achievable latencies etc.At a price though.Which,had I the money,I dare say I might've gone with.But alas I'm broke.I'd like one of each to be fair.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveness23 View Post
Mac vs PC hear-say is usually so laden with personal bias that its hard to really judge the truth.
The truth IS that Mac vs PC is a personal decision that should be made WITH the personal bias, there's nothing else to that.

Quote:
I'm not ready to fork out an additional grand or more so I sadly do without.
I have never understood this view, and it repeats itself in every thread. A very capable Mac costs $1300 new. A $300 PC is not in any single way comparable.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
TangerineSteam

A friend with a Mac told me you can allocate how much RAM you want to different programs. But how many programs can you run at once?
TangerineSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineSteam View Post
A friend with a Mac told me you can allocate how much RAM you want to different programs. But how many programs can you run at once?
You can run whatever until you use up all your CPU and/or ram. I imagine it's the same with Windows.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
maxxpower18

I have both a Mac laptop and a Windows laptop, and I love both of them equally...though OS X doesn't have Media Monkey.
maxxpower18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
BorsingPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxpower18 View Post
I have both a Mac laptop and a Windows laptop, and I love both of them equally...though OS X doesn't have Media Monkey.
How very true, I previously made a post mentioning a "Lunda" (Swedish university city) student neighbor of mine who was so deliriously excited bout his new free (student again) Mac that my most profound memory of him was that the guy himself indeed was a Media monkey and most likely still going through new generations of non backwards compatible Mac's since I expect him to still be a student
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
serr

Media Monkey runs in OSX with Wine.
See, with a Mac you have more software choices and you can still run any windows app. You don't need to install windows but you could do that too if you wanted.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineSteam View Post
What was he using OS 9?

This was something I used to love about macs over windows... the control! XD

Anybody out there still pining away for the good old days of the extension manager and extension conflicts?

ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsklaftsk123 View Post
Why is mac so popular in music/media industry?
I wouldn't characterize it as such. Practically the whole video game/3D industry works with Windows. Not to mention the fact that almost every major DAW has both Windows and OS X versions, which I would imagine wouldn't be the case if one OS didn't have a viable market base of users in audio production.

In general, the OS X/Mac market share is still just a fraction of Windows.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat....aspx?qprid=10

Quote:
I mean, you can get the same specs on a pc for half the price. Im not hating on mac, i just wonder why.
Why not get the best of both worlds...

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.ca/
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
Link0126

Quote:
Why is mac so popular in music/media industry? I mean, you can get the same specs on a pc for half the price. Im not hating on mac, i just wonder why.
Marketing. I've never had better luck with them than with a PC, worse actually. Tried to switch to them twice, always a waste of money. Lots of money.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
foxAsteria

Like I said, this time less in jest, it's the Apple. Call it marketing if you like, I don't believed the Hitler could have centralize Nazi power so effectively without the inverted swastika. He certainly wasted a disproportionate amount of time perfecting its dimensions if I'm wrong...

It's unfortunate that the power of symbols is so easily dismissed. But then again, if one doesn't believe in this sort of common 'magic,' one is infinitely more susceptible to it. Extreme examples, sorry.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
CaptainHook

Well that didn't take long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Well that didn't take long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Interesting! I've never noticed that, or openly drawn the comparison before, but in my defense, my conclusion is independently drawn and I stand behind it. Also, hate it when arguments are dismissed because they fall easily into a categorization. Godwin's Law is practically an example of itself. What's the word for that? It is wonderful, though daunting, how deftly the internet is abolishing all of our wishful, egotistical notions of "original thought." Anyways, apologies for my obvious laziness in driving home the point. But the efficacy of symbols to reach ends was known in the practice of 'magic' long before the advertising industry discovered (and trivialized) their power. I only brought up Hitler because it's a common and easily verifiable example... But then, he was extremely interested in occultism.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-08-2012 at 04:54 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
Interesting! I've never noticed that, or openly drawn the comparison before, but in my defense, my conclusion is independently drawn and I stand behind it.
Not dismissing your argument, just found it funny that it happened at page two of this thread. I should have used some kind of emoticon. :P Mac vs PC discussions usually become like heated religious arguments. Just how it is.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Haven't read the earlier posts, but MAC was in the multimedia game first with Quark and all the magazine/advertising demographic. PC was IBM = accounting. That's why it began as a rather bland looking machine and software environment until it had to compete with what was being used on Mac at the time, Adobe, etc. Now that everything major is cross platform, mostly, there is little difference. However, there is a HUGE difference between buying a shitty monitor for a PC and the quality you get from Apple as stock. It's a more expensive technology that you have to pay a higher price to achieve on a PC (probably $700 +). Can't remember the tech specs on it.

The second reason Mac is so popular is because a lot of people heard I was using one in the 90's. Things just took off from there, as did the Apple stock prices.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #23
gregmartin64

They were just once far more reliable and you could be sure of getting pretty much the same level of performance and result each time you used them. That probably wasn't true of the PC running Windows.

BUT, the Windows operating system has grown a lot, as have machine specs, so you can get great and equal results these days in Windows.

Cost wise? This isn't true anymore (unless your comparing super machines), the MAC is exceptionally affordable if you go for something like a MAC mini which starts at around £300 for a specification that easily meets the recording I do. And doesn't make a sound, which I'm grateful for.

At work, two of our developers bought MAC minis and installed Windows 7 on them because the specification was better that an equally spec'd PC.
gregmartin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=gregmartin64;1074562]They were just once far more reliable and you could be sure of getting pretty much the same level of performance and result each time you used them. That probably wasn't true of the PC running Windows.

Not unless you're running BlowTools Nah Seriously not for me since I'm too dependent on my PC for all our Media Productions, then there's the maintenance, I'm simply too old to start over, oh and there's APPLE, which I'll never forgive nor forget. But then again I even survived VISTA?! Talk about DIE Hard.. But wait, what are you all sitting around here for? Go and eat some Turky, or something

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 11-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
gregmartin64

[QUOTE=BorsingPhoto;1074566]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmartin64 View Post
They were just once far more reliable and you could be sure of getting pretty much the same level of performance and result each time you used them. That probably wasn't true of the PC running Windows.

Not unless you're running BlowTools Nah Seriously not for me since I'm too dependent on my PC for all our Media Productions, then there's the maintenance, I'm simply too old to start over, oh and there's APPLE, which I'll never forgive nor forget. But then again I even survived VISTA?! Talk about DIE Hard.. But wait, what are you all sitting around here for? Go and eat some Turky, or something
I'm sort of the same, because I still need to have my Mac MINI have a boot partition for Windows 7 for MS Access, and for my Game Development tools. Anyway from me in England, I hope all my American cousins are having and will have a great and safe Thanks Giving! Pass me some Turkey :-0
gregmartin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
BorsingPhoto

[QUOTE=gregmartin64;1074585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorsingPhoto View Post

I'm sort of the same, because I still need to have my Mac MINI have a boot partition for Windows 7 for MS Access, and for my Game Development tools. Anyway from me in England, I hope all my American cousins are having and will have a great and safe Thanks Giving! Pass me some Turkey :-0
Swedish here, remember us Vikings? , but I'm also a US citizen these days. Ah yes, those sweet O'l memories of my first Commodore VIC 20, then one day my first PC, a 6MHz 64K XT, and Apple's fuzz&Buzz (we had a Lund's University student neighbor back when, Bragging about "his" new free MAC, come to think of it, he's probably still a student and how you couldn't even get a Disc defrag utility for "your" Mac, cost of the then "Superior" mac, etc, etc. Makes me thinking about throwing up the Crab cakes and Sweet Potatoes we ate last night

Never forget, give up, and never surrender.. or, "it's not my fault Emund the Old helped introduce Christianity to Sweden"

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 11-23-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Entrertainment
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
pattste

The mac is popular because Apple offers amazing Black Friday discounts...

pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
captain_caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmartin64 View Post

BUT, the Windows operating system has grown a lot, as have machine specs, so you can get great and equal results these days in Windows.

Cost wise? This isn't true anymore (unless your comparing super machines), the MAC is exceptionally affordable if you go for something like a MAC mini which starts at around £300 for a specification that easily meets the recording I do. And doesn't make a sound, which I'm grateful for.

At work, two of our developers bought MAC minis and installed Windows 7 on them because the specification was better that an equally spec'd PC.
Where can you get a new Mac Mini for £300? The cheapest new one (inc VAT) I can find is £468.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #29
jaava

I moved from pc to mac about a year ago. I had a hp laptop (broke down btw. and my brother's hp laptop had overheating issue caused by idiotic fan design. HP never again.) before and reasons why i chose mac were:

1. i really prefer osx user interface to win7.
2. osx is unix so i have a real command terminal to use and the same tools that i use on my studies with linux-machines work on my laptop as well.
3. with pc i always had problems with poor quality power supply (poor SMPS on my hp caused a lot of noise on live situations) and i really didn't want to use a lot of time finding a pc with a decent pover supply. Never had those problems with my mac.
4. on my pc i always had to switch off wireless network because it caused pops and glitches with asio drivers (it was usual practice to suggest this as a solution to sound problems). Never had those problems with my mac.
5. after fighting for a millionth time with windows registry issues i swore i would never again use a microsoft product.

Windows works great on a dedicated daw machine. So if you are building a studio machine go with pc. If you however want to use your computer for everything else too mac has (or at least had 2 years ago) a lot less problems.

During the last 10 years windows has become a lot better. With xp and vista dll hell was still very common (especially with printers and some games making their own updates on system libraries). Win7 has suffered much less from dll issues. However with mac i've never suffered from any dependency issues (although i've heard there has been some in the past).

I actually have a win7 dualboot on this mbp. I need it because i have to use sonar in one project every spring. Otherwise i use it for gaming. Only one major registry issue so far.

Edit: I've very little experience with win8. Tested it in store but at least that unit had some weird problems with touch gestures not working properly. With mouse the metro ui was absolutely hideous to use. The graphics are over simplified to the level where they look god but are extremely uninformative (you cannot for exemple always tell which parts are buttons). And most of the applications would anyways throw you back to traditional desktop. I don't know how stable it is but the ui needs a lot of tweaking.

Last edited by jaava; 12-19-2012 at 04:55 AM.
jaava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #30
BobM

Because of sad stories like this…. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115056

BobM.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #31
Keef Baker

Having used both I have to say the draw for OSX for me would be going back to use logic. But I'm really enjoying reaper so no....

While Apple charge £983475297230834 for their old, outdated powermacs that my gran would sniff at, I won't move to mac.

If they seriously update their powermacs and do it quick then they might be in with a chance.

Even then I can build a machine myself with twice the power at half the price and as long as you do your research with components it will be fine.

When the day comes that apple go, "fair enough, we can't charge a quadrillion quid for old kit" things might change.
Keef Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #32
Badmotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Because of sad stories like this…. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115056

BobM.
Good to see my pain can be used as a reference to others
Badmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #33
mad demon

Why is mac so popular? - You tell me and I'm gonna be rich.

... really apple - or lets better say steve jobs, because we all known where apple was going at the times he was not with apple - has somewhat managed to create an unreasonable cult around their products. As already explained there is nothing technically special about macs, except maybe their visuals which jobs was really keen on.
mad demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #34
UberBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad demon View Post
Why is mac so popular? - You tell me and I'm gonna be rich.

... really apple - or lets better say steve jobs, because we all known where apple was going at the times he was not with apple - has somewhat managed to create an unreasonable cult around their products. As already explained there is nothing technically special about macs, except maybe their visuals which jobs was really keen on.
There is no "unreasonable cult". It's user experience and preference. People are not blindly going out and buying products just because. This is so stupid that it's beyond all rationale. This is taken from an OS X review on Ars Technica website that sums things up.

"Three decades ago, the personal computer industry was built on the backs of technology enthusiasts. Every product, every ad was created to please us. No longer. Technology must now work for everyone, not just 'computing enthusiasts."

Apple does this very well.
UberBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #35
BobM

This thread has gone way off topic. It's "why is mac so popular", and not "why do a lot of Reaper users hate it"..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
mad demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBird View Post
There is no "unreasonable cult".
So we agree to disagree then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjrbUtk7BI
That's OK.

EDIT: Just to make this clear. I don't hate Macs. Though the only reason I see for it being more "popular" is the "cult", which might be caused by user experience, preference or whatever.
Anyway if anyone has the answer to why they are popular please tell me so I can become rich as well. Because to me they are just computers like all other computers.
mad demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #37
UberBird

Quote:
So we agree to disagree then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjrbUtk7BI
That's OK.

EDIT: Just to make this clear. I don't hate Macs. Though the only reason I see for it being more "popular" is the "cult", which might be caused by user experience, preference or whatever.
Anyway if anyone has the answer to why they are popular please tell me so I can become rich as well. Because to me they are just computers like all other computers.
Back under the bridge troll
UberBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #38
mrelwood

Quote:
Though the only reason I see for it being more "popular" is the "cult", which might be caused by user experience, preference or whatever.
I don't think a user experience creates a cult. It creates an user base.

Quote:
Anyway if anyone has the answer to why they are popular please tell me so I can become rich as well.
The basis on it are pretty simple actually. First create a family of devices that are more easy, fun and less troublesome to use. Then make them look good, price them somewhat reasonably and market them well so people want to buy them.

It's no secret that Apple is a commercial company, and as in todays society, their success is measured by income. Their one major goal is to make money. What makes them different is that they think their products and the whole user experience through. Yes, Apple is scary good at marketing, especially to US people. But they are already having a hard time building some of the products fast enough, so the price is right.

Quote:
Because to me they are just computers like all other computers.
A lot of people seem to be a lot more picky than you.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #39
serr

Every now and then I peruse some of the windows help threads I stumble across around here. They usually leave my jaw hanging open. There are enough technical challenges with computers and digital audio without throwing in untested hardware configurations and having to manually rewrite half of your OS to get things mostly working.

There's no doubt that there is a lot you can do with a windows running system these days. Windows has come a long way... That's not right. Windows users have come a long way in forging working systems. I'm impressed with some of the level of workarounds I see people coming up with but I'd rather see that effort directed towards audio endeavors.

I think that the couple hundred dollars you might save on the hardware is more than offset by the extra setup work, restricted OS and fewer software choices.

I do agree that this was a much easier argument a few years ago when you could not make things work in windows no matter what you tried.

The problem I see now is that apple is drunk with their consumer gadget sales. They released no pro computers this last year. Worrisome...
If apple stops, I'll be looking to the linux community I think.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #40
AudioLemon

Something that is often overlooked is that Apple make hardware. In my job I deal with over 60 Macs and it is well recognized by management that Macs last longer and require significantly less maintenance. They last. They look good. They work well. They are the industry standard. They are more expensive initially but given the amount of flawless hours you get out of them it is worth it.
AudioLemon is offline   Reply With Quote