Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
anonymoustache
Human being with feelings

Default reaper playback through computer speakers

I found a couple ways that people use to make the audio play back through their computer speakers, but none have worked for me. I changed the audio device to internal speakers, but then I can't record. Is there a way that I can keep it on the Motu 8Pre and not play through its monitor outs? I'd like to hear my mix through my audio out on my iMac.

Thanks in advance.
anonymoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
zoso2

in the device preferences window there is a check box which allows you to use two different devices for input and output. check that and then select the motu for input and internal speakers for output, using two separate devices however introduces a lot of latency so i don't recommend it
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
anonymoustache

Ahhh, I see. Thanks so much. I've got monitors, but I figured a quick way to check how it would sound on decent computer speakers versus the monitor would be to switch over to them. Is the latency a problem in just reaper or other DAW's?

If I'm just using it for playback, then it shouldn't be a problem right? I would only have the latency if I were using them to monitor the live recording right?

Thanks again
Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
zoso2

yeah if you were monitoring while recording then latency would be a problem even with a small buffer size. out of the other DAW's i've used, PT, DP and Reaper, Reaper is the only one which actually allows you to use two different audio devices for input and output so latency is not an issue in the other ones because the option doesn't exist.

also note that the latency caused by using two different devices is very strange, first off you will not be able to achieve a very short latency time and it actually seems to vary quite drastically. i've noticed that while i'm recording the latency will drift from very fast to very long in a matter of seconds. Also one thing you may notice when using two different devices is there is a delay in Reaper itself from when you see the meters move to when you actually hear the sound, you will notice for sure when you stop playback and reaper stops but the sound continues to play for a couple seconds afterwards. since your only wanting to do playback i would switch the device to internal speakers or something and then back to your motu when you want to do recording instead having the motu set up for input and internal speakers set up for playback
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote