Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Are you playing them live?
Just live in the studio, jamming around. I've found more aarch64 compiled instruments and plugins on the KXStudios web repository page.

https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins

Quote:
How's the latency?
I'm not overclocking the Pi so far, and the lowest latency I can hit is 256 samples and 3 periods, which for virtual midi instruments is fine, but you wouldn't want to do live audio monitoring with guitars.

Quote:
What interface?
I have a sooper cheep Behringer UCA202, which is an older 16 bit audio interface, but it can do lower latency than the Pi can do without overclocking. I'm passing it signal from my other Behringer UMC1820 set for direct monitoring, and the UCA202 is also set for direct monitoring, so playing a guitar or singing a vocal, there is zero delay.

Quote:
(Apologies if I've already asked you about this in another thread. :-) )
I started a Solar Pi thread, but haven't put any of this info there. My plan is to take the Pi, along with a 12 volt video monitor, a USB powered JBL, a USB powered Akai MPD26 midi controller, and a 2 octave midi keyboard out to my patio, and then power it all with one of my two solar panels and LiFePo4 solar batteries.

I ran the Pi and the 12 volt monitor for about 12 hours the other day using this homebrew Solar Generator box connected to a solar panel.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-16-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #42
Matt Mayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by obx777 View Post
(note: I am a registered user just did not register my install in case I ever get called out on the videos).
You might find this useful!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot.png (36.4 KB, 470 views)
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #43
clepsydrae

Sweet -- sounds/looks like a neat project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm not overclocking the Pi so far, and the lowest latency I can hit is 256 samples and 3 periods, which for virtual midi instruments is fine, but you wouldn't want to do live audio monitoring with guitars.
So does that come to 17.4ms from key press to sound out of the speakers, or am I misunderstanding the "period" term?

I've been fantasizing about using a Pi as a portable synth box... i.e. get a midi keyboard, plug it in to your little Pi box, and it spits out the piano (or whatever) sound. I found it surprisingly hard (and expensive-ish) to find this kind of product on the market. Given the quality of free or low-cost sampled pianos/keyboards/etc. you can get these days, having a mini computer in a box that you can boot up and get great sounds from seems like a big win. Provided, of course, that it's 1) reliable, and 2) fast enough that latency isn't a bummer. A Pi, a small interface with a couple 1/4" outs, maybe a battery setup if you want to get fancy...
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #44
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Sweet -- sounds/looks like a neat project!

So does that come to 17.4ms from key press to sound out of the speakers, or am I misunderstanding the "period" term?
Two periods would be double buffering, and three would be triple buffering, but it works out to still be only double buffering on the virtual instruments side, as there is only audio output. For audio throughput there will be more latency than for virtual midi instruments. Running the Behringer UCA202 at 48k with 256 blocksize and 3 periods displays as 5.3/10ms in REAPER.

The midi stuff feels very tight, and I haven't even tried monitoring audio through REAPER, only using direct coz I know 10ms with the added hidden latency will sound like slap echo. Monitoring direct through the hardware when recording audio fixes that.

Quote:
I've been fantasizing about using a Pi as a portable synth box... i.e. get a midi keyboard, plug it in to your little Pi box, and it spits out the piano (or whatever) sound. I found it surprisingly hard (and expensive-ish) to find this kind of product on the market. Given the quality of free or low-cost sampled pianos/keyboards/etc. you can get these days, having a mini computer in a box that you can boot up and get great sounds from seems like a big win. Provided, of course, that it's 1) reliable, and 2) fast enough that latency isn't a bummer. A Pi, a small interface with a couple 1/4" outs, maybe a battery setup if you want to get fancy...
A Pi will absolutely work as a pocket sized virtual instrument. I recorded an eight track jam on my patio this morning, using two solar panels to power everything (I posted how that went in the Solar Pi thread), but prior to that last night I spent hours jamming on various virtual instruments, and just playing them live feels as tight as playing them on my desktop machine.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:42 PM   #45
Primeval Mudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Yeah, it's the same here. This only works on boot.
This irks me too.

Irks me hugely.

I spend time renaming the MIDI ins and out in Claudia to match Reaper and save the studio but I'm never sure if Reaper will have decided to shuffle things around when I next open it.

I'm currently using three controllers - M-Audio O25, Alesis V61, Akai LPD8 - and would like them to stay where I left them!

Website | YouTube | Facebook | Soundcloud
Primeval Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #46
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I spend time renaming the MIDI ins and out in Claudia to match Reaper and save the studio but I'm never sure if Reaper will have decided to shuffle things around when I next open it.
This is similar in Windows. Here, it's not Reaper, but the OS adding suffixes to the device names that and not necessary consistent, especiall when you use a differenmt USB plug for the same device.

For Windows there is "Bome Midi translator Pro" that seems to be able to cope with that and present consistent device names to Reaper.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #47
fsynth

Quote:
Two periods would be double buffering, and three would be triple buffering, but it works out to still be only double buffering on the virtual instruments side, as there is only audio output. For audio throughput there will be more latency than for virtual midi instruments. Running the Behringer UCA202 at 48k with 256 blocksize and 3 periods displays as 5.3/10ms in REAPER.

The midi stuff feels very tight, and I haven't even tried monitoring audio through REAPER, only using direct coz I know 10ms with the added hidden latency will sound like slap echo. Monitoring direct through the hardware when recording audio fixes that.

A Pi will absolutely work as a pocket sized virtual instrument. I recorded an eight track jam on my patio this morning, using two solar panels to power everything (I posted how that went in the Solar Pi thread), but prior to that last night I spent hours jamming on various virtual instruments, and just playing them live feels as tight as playing them on my desktop machine.
I have a RPi4 running Reaper with a Behringer UCM204HD using ALSA 48k 64samples 3 periods no xruns. Monitor through Reaper for both guitar and keys, Reaper shows latency as something like 1.4/2.6ms for in/out, not in front of it right now to check. Before I got the Behringer the best I could get on the RPi was 5.6ms out with both my old Lexicon Alpha and MAudio USB boxes. Pretty amazing how well the newer Behringer USB boxes work with ALSA on both Ubuntu Studio and RPi OS.
fsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsynth View Post
I have a RPi4 running Reaper with a Behringer UCM204HD using ALSA 48k 64samples 3 periods no xruns. Monitor through Reaper for both guitar and keys, Reaper shows latency as something like 1.4/2.6ms for in/out, not in front of it right now to check. Before I got the Behringer the best I could get on the RPi was 5.6ms out with both my old Lexicon Alpha and MAudio USB boxes. Pretty amazing how well the newer Behringer USB boxes work with ALSA on both Ubuntu Studio and RPi OS.
The Behringer UCA202 I'm using is an older device, but with a few recent tweaks on the Pi4, I've now got it running stable @ 128 samples. It was only $25 new when I bought it, and it's only 16 bit, but it is working well enough that it will be a while before I pop for a better interface.

I will prolly get a UMC204HD when I do eventually upgrade though. I have the UMC1820/ADA8200 combo for my desktop DAW machine.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #49
fsynth

Quote:
The Behringer UCA202 I'm using is an older device, but with a few recent tweaks on the Pi4, I've now got it running stable @ 128 samples. It was only $25 new when I bought it, and it's only 16 bit, but it is working well enough that it will be a while before I pop for a better interface.

I will prolly get a UMC204HD when I do eventually upgrade though. I have the UMC1820/ADA8200 combo for my desktop DAW machine.
TBH its was yours and a few others mention of how the UMC's worked well with Linux that got me to try the 204hd. For a $110 device it works perfect, For my main audio machine I will most likely get the UMC1820.
fsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:25 PM   #50
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsynth View Post
TBH its was yours and a few others mention of how the UMC's worked well with Linux that got me to try the 204hd. For a $110 device it works perfect, For my main audio machine I will most likely get the UMC1820.
I love the UMC1820.

To feed guitar and bass to the Pi4 I have outputs 5&6 from the UMC1820 going to the stereo line inputs on the UCA202. That way I just fire up REAPER on the desktop, add a guitar or bass track template, then add a send from the track to outputs 5&6. It allows me to keep everything connected as normal for the desktop DAW while playing around with the Raspberry Pi4 DAW.

Outputs 1&2 are the stereo feed to my monitors, 3&4 feed a headphone distribution amp, and now 5&6 feed the Pi4. Very nice having lots of inputs and outputs to accommodate stuff like that.