Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
HammyHavoc
Human being with feelings

Default How to send audio clock to Bastl Klik

Hi all!

I previously used Bastl Klik (hardware) with another DAW to send an audio clock to my modular synth so that it was more tightly synced than via a MIDI clock with my audio interface.

Here's the two page manual: https://www.bastl-instruments.com/wp...LIK_TISK-2.pdf

The Klik accepts a stereo input; sending different pulses on each channel.

There is a "Device" on Bitwig and an Ableton Live project to use this. Both of which literally output audio which you then send to the Klik via an output on your interface.

Would I be right in thinking that outputting Reaper's metronome on a send to this device would trigger it? I know there's also click tracks etc in Reaper, but I wasn't too sure how to get the click track to be infinite. On non-linear DAWs a MIDI clip triggering the pulses as samples would just play indefinitely, so you could jam for literally hours on modular without making a click track that's hours long.

I might be missing something obvious. :- ) Not in the studio currently, but this has been on my mind all weekend.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HammyHavoc; 01-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.
HammyHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Philbo King
Human being with feelings

It's theoretically possible to output a clock on an audio output, but (due to something called the Nyquist theorem) you'd have to set Reaper to at least twice the desired clock freq. For example, use a project rate of 88.2 khz to get a clock output of 44.1 khz, with the waveform aligned so rise/fall edges are aligned to sample frames. Once set up, you'd need to lock the track so it doesn't get altered by accident. The hitch, of course, would be that your audio interface output electronics is unlikely to be set up to output ultrasonic sound - most won't output much above 23 KHz or so. If you have a clock output on your interface (often on a BNC connector), that would be a far better way. Or possibly an SP/DIF output, if your Bastl Klik has an input for that.
(If I misundestood what you want, my apologies).

After reading that PDF, I realize the clock is actually audio, so apparently they are talking about a click. Funny they don't mention what freqencies it accepts. But 2400 Hz might be one to try. The JS: signal generator plugin can output that to a spare audio output. Make sure it never gets fed to your monitors or headphones though. You ears would never forgive you.

Last edited by Philbo King; 01-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote