Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #81
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Thanks a lot, it works like a charm now! That was fast!
Thanks!

Quote:
Is midi implementation in your plan too ? That would be great
Is there something you long for that is not doable with the included plugins?
Old 10-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #82
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post

For possible future improvements, could you share what exact feature or behavior was it that you didn’t get from MotherComp?
I was using it on an acoustic guitar that was already compressed with a UREI 1176 during tracking. I felt I needed more control and transparency than what MotherComp could offer. I went with TDR's Kotelnikov, which has a standard Release and an RMS Release, allowing for the transparency I was after.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #83
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I was using it on an acoustic guitar that was already compressed with a UREI 1176 during tracking. I felt I needed more control and transparency than what MotherComp could offer. I went with TDR's Kotelnikov, which has a standard Release and an RMS Release, allowing for the transparency I was after.
Ah, Kotelnikov is definitely a tool that I wouldn't even dream of competing with. Although, backing on the Density slider on MotherComp I can get the behavior to be as transparent and natural that I know to long for. But for specific needs, nothing beats Kotelnikov.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #84
Regisfofo

Quote:
Thanks!

Is there something you long for that is not doable with the included plugins?

Well, It would be nice to control mix fader with some knob or a parameter modulation, it seems to me it is not possible with 1.1, but maybe I missed something.
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #85
Edgemeal

Quote:
- Enormous CPU/GPU optimizations.
Yes, much better!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #86
JamesPeters

Yes other than a "mix" control (wet/dry), and that graphics issue, I can't imagine this plugin being any better.

This is a great plugin for noticeable change in dynamics and character. There are other plugins that do the "transparent" thing well, so I wouldn't bother trying to make this plugin do that. (Another great free plugin capable of transparent compression, in case anyone is looking for one: Sonic Anomaly HBC-2 and HBC-5.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #87
mrelwood

Quote:
Well, It would be nice to control mix fader with some knob or a parameter modulation, it seems to me it is not possible with 1.1, but maybe I missed something.
Every inserted plugin in Reaper has a mix knob in the top right corner of the plugin window. It can be parameter modulated and Midi controlled. Just touch the mix knob first, then "Param" button at the top on the window frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Yes other than a "mix" control (wet/dry), and that graphics issue, I can't imagine this plugin being any better.
Oh my... I'm so glad that it works for you that well! Thank you so much!
_

I got a wild idea for the 1136 GUI. Let's see if turns out to be usable. Don't worry, I'll keep the GPU utilization in order this time...
Old 10-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #88
JamesPeters

I'd just assumed you decided to do something completely different from the NP1136 (with MotherComp) and I was very pleased with the results.

If you plan to do your own thing with the general type of plugin NP1136 is, that could be nice. Anyway do whatever you're most comfortable with, whatever inspires you the most. It's clear you have some really good ideas! I already have NP1136 anyway!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #89
Regisfofo

Quote:
Every inserted plugin in Reaper has a mix knob in the top right corner of the plugin window. It can be parameter modulated and Midi controlled. Just touch the mix knob first, then "Param" button at the top on the window frame.

Ah yes you're right, did not think about that way, thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #90
citizenkeith

Quote:
FINALLY! MotherComp 1.1 available!
- Enormous CPU/GPU optimizations.
- Disabled Economy mode as redundant.

I strongly urge everyone to update, the CPU/GPU load difference is huge when the plugin is shown, and should be a good one even when hidden.

Do tell how it works for you!
Looks good!

I installed this one and deleted the previous version. I opened up a Reaper project that used the previous version. Since each version has a different file name, Reaper didn't load the new version. Will you always have the version number appended to the file name, or are you going to standardize that so upgrades are seamless?
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #91
bolgwrad

Donated. Wish it could be more. Your GUIs are so intuitive. Using MotherComp on channels, and MotherComp and Sky on master track, thought I was doing OK before, now, wow.

Thanks Mr. E.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #92
mrelwood

Quote:
I'd just assumed you decided to do something completely different from the NP1136 (with MotherComp) and I was very pleased with the results.
I was probably unclear, but MotherComp does not have roots in the 1136. It’s born from Stillwell’s Fairly Childish. Although, there is enough changes in the algorithm that it will likely sound quite different.

Quote:
If you plan to do your own thing with the general type of plugin NP1136 is, that could be nice.
I’m currently toying around with just an idea for a GUI for the 1136, the audio section would remain unchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
are you going to standardize that so upgrades are seamless?
Right, hadn’t thought about that. Perhaps it would be best if the filename stays the same until there is a notable change in the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Donated. Wish it could be more. Your GUIs are so intuitive. Using MotherComp on channels, and MotherComp and Sky on master track, thought I was doing OK before, now, wow.

Thanks Mr. E.
Thank you so much, bolgwrad! I’m so glad to hear you found use for my plugins!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #93
JamesPeters

Quote:
I was probably unclear, but MotherComp does not have roots in the 1136. It’s born from Stillwell’s Fairly Childish. Although, there is enough changes in the algorithm that it will likely sound quite different.
When MotherComp was introduced, I knew it wasn't based on the NP1136. Before you made MotherComp though, I had thought you were going to be releasing NP1136 with a new GUI, so for a moment I had thought that's what you did...until I tested it and realized immediately that wasn't the case.

I look forward to what you'll do with NP1136! It's one of my favorite compressor/limiter plugins.

About that "graphics glitch" in MotherComp: it's not just that the display isn't updating when a preset is loaded. Sometimes it doesn't change the settings until I double click on the Mother Comp title area.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #94
mrelwood

Quote:
About that "graphics glitch" in MotherComp: it's not just that the display isn't updating when a preset is loaded. Sometimes it doesn't change the settings until I double click on the Mother Comp title area.
MotherComp 1.11 released!
Issues fixed:
- Precise adjustments not saved/loaded with project.
- Internal compressor parameters not loading/updating properly in some situations.
- Left side sliders not loading until clicking any slider/control.
- Character slider value box location sometimes not following the slider.
- Compressor parameters at very low Density and Character slider settings updated.
- Transitioning to a proper updating scheme; this version doesn't have a new filename.

JamesPeters (and anyone), please let me know if there are any issues left!

Edit: Oh wait, now I got it, JamesPeters was talking about actual stored presets. I'll tackle that one right now.

Last edited by mrelwood; 10-16-2018 at 09:38 AM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #95
JamesPeters

Yes it wasn't able to recall settings when a preset was selected. The controls didn't move. (Initially I thought it was just that the graphics weren't updating to show the controls in their updated positions, but I was mistaken.)

I see you changed the harmonic structure somewhat. I've been testing it with frequency spectrum analysis, with test signals run into it. (And also listening to it on musical material). It sounds relatively the same as before but I can see some differences in the harmonic overtones.

You're doing a great job!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #96
FKAB

Hi mrelwood. nice plugs.

Small problem. Six instances of latest MotherComp and the CPU hit 90% on an eight core cpu, whole thing fell apart. Offlined them all and back it came.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #97
mrelwood

Quote:
Yes it wasn't able to recall settings when a preset was selected. The controls didn't move.
Yes, all compressor parameters didn’t update either. I don’t know why it behaves like this while fe. The Sky updates correctly. I was able to create a workaround, but got a bad fever yesterday, so I’m yet to finalize the version.

Quote:
I see you changed the harmonic structure somewhat.
The range of the Density parameter was off from what it was supposed to, so I had to put it back to where I originally wanted it. The difference is most notable when Density is at 0%, as it didn’t actually reach 0% before... Sorry about the surprise!

Quote:
You're doing a great job!
Comments like this are such a strong driver for me, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAB View Post
Small problem. Six instances of latest MotherComp and the CPU hit 90% on an eight core cpu, whole thing fell apart. Offlined them all and back it came.
The version 1.1 had a huge improvement in efficiency, but either I just lack the skills or complicated graphics on a JS plugin are quite CPU/GPU hungry. If you hide the plugin, the CPU/GPU usage should drop down to less than a half.

Last edited by mrelwood; 10-17-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Y
Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 AM   #98
mrelwood

MotherComp 1.13 released!

- All parameters and view settings are now stored and properly loaded with presets.
- Decreased the number of window size scalings to three: 1, 0.5, and 2. They should all be available on both retina and non-retina displays.

The simple scaling function turned out to be a huge CPU/GPU hog as well. Scaling factor now shown at low right corner when other than 1.

As always, there might be situations I didn't figure to test, so if you find an issue, let me know!

Last edited by mrelwood; 10-18-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #99
JamesPeters

Thanks for continuing to update the plugin!

Ok, MotherComp is able to recall presets properly now, so that's good. However there are now 2 issues with how it displays (neither of which seem to affect how it functions):

The first issue: MotherComp resizes past the boundary of the plugin window. It opens "too large" for the plugin window/fx browser. As I resize the plugin window to expose the "hidden" parts of the plugin, the plugin resizes even larger, which brings the same problem back. Since I'm using a 1920*1200 monitor, the largest size is too big (for a plugin that is this simple in its interface, it shouldn't take up 3/4 of my screen...plus it looks silly being that large ). I was able to change a line in the code to fix its size at "1" easily enough anyway (although since I don't understand much of the code, I couldn't find a way of making it more tolerant of "not automatically resizing too large"...even though I did try messing with a few numbers).

The second issue: Depending on what the last setting of the left fader was prior to changing presets, that "state" will remain the next time a preset is loaded (it'll remain as showing either "character" or "precise"). Besides that (and this is the main issue in my opinion), the graphics around that fader are "ghosted" as in the picture I attached. The issue resolves itself if you double click on the title of the plugin or change a setting. So it doesn't affect its functionality.

I also notice no difference in CPU/GPU since the previous update. There may be one, but it was already at an acceptable level; the GPU didn't do enough extra work with 1 instance of MotherComp on the screen that it would've caused any issues. If I float multiple instances of MotherComp though (make them all visible), that's a different story. I don't work that way though; I keep only a couple plugin windows open at a time.

Aside from that I wanted to mention that Airwindows plugins are open source. (I don't know if you're aware of Airwindows, but there are some great plugins he made.) It would be possible to use the code to augment a plugin idea you have, or to combine code from a few of his plugins. If that's something you're capable of doing, and you care to do it, I can let you know which of his plugins I like most as a starting point so you could try them and see what you think. It's a long list of plugins and some of them have unusual ways of being used. There are videos to explain each one but sometimes he leaves out some details.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-28-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #100
bolgwrad

Thanks for the updates mre! Unfortunately going from MotherComp 1v1 to 1.13 has brought about 93% CPU load. Each channel with MC on it went up to 20% from about 4%.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #101
mrelwood

Quote:
Thanks for continuing to update the plugin!
In my mind these are not ready until bugs this obvious have been sorted. As is blatantly obvious by now, I really do need help from you guys to do that!

Quote:
MotherComp resizes past the boundary of the plugin window.
I've been fighting the issue of displaying the plugins properly on both retina and non-retina displays. With your precise description I hope version 1.14 finally got it right.

Quote:
The second issue: Depending on what the last setting of the left fader was prior to changing presets, that "state" will remain
This is a design feature. I wanted it to save the snapshot as well. Actually the Styles list should've saved as well, but now it does also.

Quote:
the graphics around that fader are "ghosted" as in the picture I attached.
Thanks, fixed.

Quote:
I also notice no difference in CPU/GPU since the previous update.
There was actually a huge issue when using multiple instances: 2 instances used more than twice the resources (in macOS Activity Monitor) of a single instance. As I started to hunt the issue down, I decided to make...

A lower CPU/GPU version of the MotherComp: Announcing The

SonnyComp 1.0

- All the MotherComp features with a slightly lower carbon footprint.
- A bit more fisty sound, which in my mind suits well as multiple instances as a single-instrument channel compressor.

And the fixed MotherComp 1.14 is available as well.

The AirWindows Density was both one of the inspirations and benchmarks when developing the Sky. His plugins must be a marvellous compilation of plugin code examples. Didn't know they were open source!

But. I have just started learning to code in any language. I'm not a coder, I am (was) a sound engineer. I'm just barely starting to learn the steps required to create roughly what I want from a plugin. The idea of learning a new coding language sounds like climbing Mount Everest in a wheelchair. Twice. At the same time.

I do know though that if I ever get to doing that, I might be able to create something pretty cool...

Last edited by mrelwood; 10-19-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #102
JamesPeters

Thanks again! Those graphics glitches are resolved with MotherComp 1.14 and I'll test its sound compared to SonnyComp later.

Bug #1 with SonnyComp: double-click the name area and the compress knob loses one of its elements. Double-click it again, it loses another of its elements and is left with just the indicator line. (The knob doesn't come back if you keep double clicking on the name area, or if you hide the plugin and re-float it.)

Also a request for SonnyComp: the ability to scale it down "one step" so it's not quite as large. (I can probably do this editing the code but I wanted to mention it just in case.) For such an easy-to-use, non-cluttered plugin, it doesn't need to be that large on a monitor such as mine (1920*1200). I think it is a good default size for 4K screens though.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #103
mrelwood

Quote:
Bug #1 with SonnyComp: double-click the name area
Ah! Totally forgot about double-clicking the title. Fixing...

Quote:
Also a request for SonnyComp: the ability to scale it down "one step"
This is a bit tricky. Even scaling down to exactly half size, the MotherComp consumption goes up 20%. I don't know a way around it other than to write all graphics in two sizes. But I understand the need. I'll see if I can implement it without taxing the consumption at regular size.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #104
mrelwood

SonnyComp 1.01 is now scalable to 0.5x and 2x, and it keeps the knob onboard while refreshing.

Rough total CPU utilization figures for SonnyComp 1.01 on a 2013 MacBook Pro:
- Hidden and active, < 0.25%
- Visible at 1x, 1.5%
- Visible at 0.5x, 2.5%
- Visible at 2x, 9%
Old 10-20-2018, 12:58 AM   #105
JamesPeters

Ok here's another post you're going to love reading...

That previous graphics issue with SonnyComp is now resolved. However:
  • When adding the plugin, "60" appears at the top left for a couple seconds (against a black background) and then the UI loads. This isn't bad but I'm not sure you'd intended this behavior.
  • At 0.25x size, after grabbing and moving the attack/release/ratio/density sliders, sometimes they "bounce back" to where they were before once you release the slider. Upon further testing it seems the hit detection for the slider knob graphic is a bit off to the left of where it should be (you have to grab the control slightly to the left side and then you can move it reliably). This doesn't happen with MotherComp.
  • 0.5x size is large enough on my screen, and I imagine 1.0x is probably as large as anyone would need this plugin at least until 8k screens are available. You can probably remove anything below 0.25x and anything above 1.0x. I can't even seem to resize this to 1.0x on my screen. For that matter, neither can I do that with MotherComp. 0.5x is the largest they'll scale at 1920*1200 (with lots of extra space around the UI, but the plugin won't resize any larger).

Besides all that, I like the sound of SonnyComp. It has similar character to MotherComp but it's more obvious/aggressive. It takes around 43% of the CPU of MotherComp on my system (when the plugin window isn't visible).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-20-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:56 AM   #106
mrelwood

Quote:
Ok here's another post you're going to love reading...
You already know me so well!

Quote:
[list][*]When adding the plugin, "60" appears at the top left for a couple seconds
Not ideal of course, but more of an acceptable cost. I decided to live with it for now.

I thought I had identical code for size scaling on both compressors. I’ll check if I missed something. At least based on your writing it seems the scale numbering is off, I think the current 0.5x should read 1 (on non-retina).

Quote:
Besides all that, I like the sound of SonnyComp.
I think it’s a good sign that we are getting to the actual sound properties already!
Old 10-21-2018, 02:21 AM   #107
JamesPeters

Both MotherComp and SonnyComp report being 0.5x size at a resolution of approximately 730*430.

I just found another bug with MotherComp. I had only tested the last few versions on a single track so I didn't notice this until today. It seems to affect at least versions 1.13 and 1.14 (I didn't test any other version since I no longer have them on my computer).

CPU of MotherComp is about 4x what it normally is, when I do the following:
  • Load MotherComp on a track, close the window after it pops up (unrelated to the problem, but it's a necessary first step since I can't find a way of performing the second step without having done this).
  • Load another MotherComp instance on either the same track, or another track, but without having the window pop open.
The second way of loading MotherComp to a track--without seeing the plugin window at all--makes the CPU load 4x higher. This is resolved as soon as that plugin instance's window is opened and the GUI for the plugin is seen; CPU reduces to normal levels for that plugin. I monitored this using the Performance Meter and was able to reproduce it every time I tried.

Usually when I load a plugin, it's done from the FX browser and I'll see the interface/UI before closing it. That's why I didn't notice this until now. However there are a few ways of adding a plugin to a track such that its interface/GUI isn't shown:
  • Hold CTRL and drag one plugin instance to create a second, in the FX bin of the MCP.
  • Drag a plugin instance from one track to another's MCP FX bin (doesn't "move" the effect, but copies it).
  • Copy a track and paste it (everything on the track is duplicated).
  • Possibly (I haven't tested this though): load a plugin to a track from the actions list (custom script).
Note: if moving an instance of MotherComp (whose interface/UI was already seen) to another track (ALT+CTRL drag from one track's MCP FX bin to another track's MCP FX bin), the CPU stays the same. So I tested this about every way I could think of.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-21-2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #108
mrelwood

Yep, while arguing with the graphics issues I found a typo and a leftover command that caused the plugin to sometimes remain in the init stage (doing a whole lot of extra work 100 times per second...). Was hoping the users didn't experience it before an update, but JamesPeters, you sir are good at what you do!

MotherComp 1.15 and SonnyComp 1.03 available!
- Fixed "stuck in init phase" which used a lot of CPU.
- Fixed and fine-tuned various graphics issues for retina and non-retina displays.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #109
JamesPeters

I hope I'm not coming across as demanding. I've just been testing my system for stability since switching to Linux (and making various changes to the OS, and testing again...etc.)

The latest plugins seem to work great! Thanks!
Old 10-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #110
mrelwood

Quote:
I hope I'm not coming across as demanding.
Not at all. Seriously, you (and all who have contributed) have been of a marvellous and important help! I would've never found out about most of the issues by myself. Thank you so much!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #111
Regisfofo

beware, with such statements we won't stop coming back to you

By the way, still another litle bug with router 1.1. When I open the session where it's used as parallel Fx on a track, I don't have any sound until I show the track fx window router is in. Any Idea ?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #112
bolgwrad

Yep, thanks again mr elwood, MotherComp and SonnyComp working much more as expected now
Old 10-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #113
mrelwood

Quote:
beware, with such statements we won't stop coming back to you
All the better!

Quote:
By the way, still another litle bug with router 1.1. When I open the session where it's used as parallel Fx on a track, I don't have any sound until I show the track fx window router is in. Any Idea ?
Thanks, I do. Might be similiar to what eventually caused the init loop issue on the compressors. I expect it to be fixed in a few hours from now.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #114
mrelwood

Routter 1.11 available!
- Fixed no output before plugin visible.
- Slider travel more precise.
- Also fixed a potential retina/non-retina scaling issue.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #115
mrelwood

It's been a while, and I've been working on several new plugins for you guys! The first one is ready, so here you go:

A new plugin StereOpposition is available!
StereOpposition is a quite a combination of tools for manipulating/fixing the stereo image. Some of the tools I haven't even seen published before!

Hopefully I'll be able to finalize two more before Christmas.

Regarding the 1136 compressor we talked about earlier, unfortunately my idea for the GUI didn't work all that well regarding workflow and real estate. I have ditched it for now. Hopefully I'll get a better idea at a later time.

Last edited by mrelwood; 12-08-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #116
Pinknoise

The link to Stereopposition is opening the Routter download page.
Anychance to get them plugins through Reapack ?
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #117
mrelwood

Ah yes, the Wixsite editor makes it easier to copy, and there are too many things for my brain to change... Will fix ASAP. Handy for you to find it though!

To me the font on the screen cap looks ok. Might not show up that well on a non-retina though. I’ll see if a thicker font would suit.

The speaker icons calculate their positions from several parameters, which are calculated at plugin load and at mouse click. Do the sliders keep their place, just the icons jump when you switch back to Reaper? If so, the icons likely had their positions calculated wrong when switching to Reaper, and when focusing on the plugin it gets all the parameters and calculates them correctly. I spent way much time with them bloody icons already, I just needed to leave them like that and move on... But if they don’t go to their actual original and intended positions, something else is going on and needs to be fixed. Could you check if this is the case?

I don’t mind sharing that I’ve been working on a Sky v2.0 (less artifacts, cleaner graphics, and a ZL mode), a virtual guitar amp, and a special new plugin. The guitar amp is already what I prefer for jamming at home, we’ll see how it turns out!

Quote:
The link on the page is for Routter at the moment. (Copying/pasting HTML files and then editing them? I've done the same thing...) I pasted "stereopposition" as the final part of the URL and it brought me to the page.

Ok I just gave it a quick test, and it sounds cool! Two things:

1) The font displays so thin (on Linux) that it's a bit hard to read. See attached image (that's 1:1)

2) I see the speaker icon thingies resetting themselves when playback starts, like the settings I dial in won't "stick". It happens when I use the "uniwide" to rotate the speakers. Sometimes if I click away from the plugin and then click back to the plugin (while playback is active) it'll do that too.

3) TELL US WHAT OTHER PLUGINS YOU'RE MAKING ok I'm just kidding lol
Old 12-09-2018, 01:50 AM   #118
mabian

Quote:
Ah yes, the Wixsite editor makes it easier to copy, and there are too many things for my brain to change... Will fix ASAP. Handy for you to find it though!
In the meanwhile...

https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins/stereopposition

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:18 AM   #119
mrelwood

Website links fixed. I also tried the same plugin font one px larger, and it did jump quite a bit in width also. Looked ok, so I made a version 0.91. No other changes.

I wasn't able to provoke icon jumping at all this time. Hopefully the same goes for most of you!
Old 12-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #120
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Anychance to get them plugins through Reapack ?
Not in the near future I think.