Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
DrGed
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper "loses" MIDI keyboard

I've been "evaluating" Reaper for a few weeks and, with a certain amount of help from this forum, have made great strides in sorting out what I think are teething problems. Unfortunately, there's just one problem that won't go way and I've no idea how to solve it.

I'm using a M-Audio Oxygen 49 midi keyboard but what happens, seemingly at random, is that Reaper "loses" it and pressing the keys ceases to have any effect whatsover. One moment everything is fine but the next it's as if the keyboard isn't there at all. The levels in the mixer don't show either when you press a key after this happens. On a few occassions I've solved this by quitting Reaper and going back in again but tonight it happened and nothing I did restored the connection between Reaper and the keyboard.

It does appear totally random. This afternoon I spent well over an hour wading through some of the presets on the Hybrid 3 VSTi synth and everything was O.K. but tonight, as they say where I come form, it's "playing silly beggars".

As I say, I've no idea what's going on and any help would be greatly apreciated.
DrGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
martifingers

Hi. I have the same keyboard and usually it is OK but from time to time I get odd responses such as dead keys or wrong notes triggered. The response from the forum was basically"What can you expect - it's a crap keyboard."
I realise that is no answer for you and that your issue is more annoying but just be aware they don't seem to be well regarded.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
DrGed

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit I'm surprised that keyboard is regarded as crap, it certainly wasn't cheap. All I can do is see what replies I get and I think I'll ring M-Audio and see what they have to say.

Cheers,

Ged
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 AM   #4
DrGed

Default Update

I rang M_Audio this morning who said the most likely cause of the fault was the USB cable connecting the keyboard to the computer.

I'll give it a go but I can't say I'm overflowing with optimism.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
martifingers

I hesitate to disagree with experts but I would be tempted to bet it's not the cable... but as you say it won't hurt to check.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #6
DrGed

I bought a new cable on Friday (£6). I've been on Reaper 5 or 6 times since then and it's worked fine every time.

I'm still in a bit of a "fingers crossed" state but it's definitely "So far, so good" up to now.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
martifingers

I am very glad to be proved wrong... incidentally mine is working OK too just now!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:28 AM   #8
DrGed

Yes, I am mightily relieved it was something as simple as that. I'm almost 50 days into the evaluation period now and, the way things are going, I think I'll buy the license. There's certainly a learning curve and I've had "teething problems" but, hopefully, I'm over the worst of these now.

Cheers,

Ged