Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
paat
Human being with feelings

Default Set item start point separately from loop points

Ableton's clip looping lets you set a start point for a clip separately from the loop points. It will play the clip from the start point, and when it reaches the end loop point it will play again from the loop start point.

How can I do that with REAPER?

paat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Pinknoise

If I understand your question correctly, you can use a marker and use the action play marker 1.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
domzy

or you could untick the "link loop points to time selection" option in preferences / editing behaviour

edit - i think i may have misunderstood the question, would Reasamplomatic do what you want? I'm not sure that Ableton's clip playing system has an equivalent in Reaper?

Last edited by domzy; 01-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Vagelis

Isn't that the same result when move the loop start ? Whats the purpose when in realtime?
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
paat

This isn't about transport looping... the screenshot I showed is the equivalent of an audio item in REAPER.

It's a 2-bar sample, set to loop the 2nd bar. So if you drop it into arrange view and drag it out to loop, the first bar will play the first bar of the sample, then it will go into the second bar of the sample, and then every loop after that will continue to play the second bar.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
nofish

Reaper doesn't have something like Live's seesion view where you can launch clips (items) independent from the main timeline or loop them independently from the main timeline, so not possible I think (to my knowledge).

edit:
In the arrange view (main timeline) you could do it manually though by split / glue / only loop second portion, or use a sampler with loop ability as mentioned.

Last edited by nofish; 01-19-2019 at 08:47 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
paat

This is not about session view and looping independently from the timeline.

Here's a more complete example.

In the bottom part of the screen, you see the clip. It's set up to start from beat 1, and loop the second bar.

The top part of the screen shows the clip looped in arrange view. I dropped the clip into arrange view, and dragged the right edge so it loops for a total of four bars.

You can see that it plays the first bar, and then loops the second bar for as long as the clip is looped.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
nofish

Ok, as said above you could do it at least manually in Reaper.
Split the item at first bar, glue second part (so that it can be looped independently), enable 'loop source', drag it out.

I don't know of a more straightforward method.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
paat

Yeah I'm hoping to do it as a single item because then I can put a take effect on it, retain the item in Project Media Bay, etc.

But, maybe it's just something that REAPER can't do?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
nofish

It's basically 'loop part of source' functionality, right? Yeah, I think Reaper doesn't have this unfortunately (someone may correct me though).

edit:
Oh wait, maybe I was wrong.
See 'loop section of item source':
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=14

I admit I've never seen or used that before lol.

edit2:
Nah sorry, seems to be different than what you want I think.

Last edited by nofish; 01-19-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
paat

yep "loop part of source" would be a good name for it

It's basically if you took a file, sliced it to the loop you want, and then do "loop section of item source". Then when you drag the right edge it would loop (exact same as it does now) but when you drag the left edge it would play the start of the item. With "loop section of item source" dragging the left edge plays the loop section, rather than the item start.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:33 AM   #12
Vagelis

I understood what you mean but i think this can't be done in Reaper (correct me if i'm wrong) because it does non destructive editing where ableton doesn't,which means in ableton in order to proccess an audio you have to open it on the view below which is a sample editor just like cubase has.Reaper proccess audio in realtime (pitchshift,transient detection,stretch etc)where in ableton you have to open below in the sample editor to do this.Think as it's similar to a sampler,with loop option pitchshift etc,so in order to do this in Reaper(loop a specific part) i think you have to find a sampler (or open it in an external editor through reaper) with those options you want.
This item loop source is similar to paint in Fl or duplicate where when you drag the item to the right it loops the length of it.
Edit:I found out if you record audio into Super8 looper slots eachone on different segments of the audio and trigger the slots with midi notes you could achieve pretty much similar results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSTeVlinAg

*Maybe in the future we'll see an option like this in Item properties for each item seperately.I think is a good idea for FR.

Last edited by Vagelis; 01-20-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #13
paat

It's non-destructive in Live – I'm not making any changes to the audio file. It's the exact equivalent of an audio item in REAPER. Live can just do this one thing that REAPER can't do.

Using a sampler doesn't really work because it won't play the audio clip part way through (yes I know REAPER can play MIDI notes part way through, but that doesn't mean it's going to play the right audio at the right time).

It's okay if REAPER can't do this. REAPER can do lots of stuff that Live can't do.