Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
joevegna
Human being with feelings

Default Delay in the solo toggle

When I master songs I often flip between the original and my master.
I mute the original and when I want to listen to it I just solo that track.
Problem is that when I toggle the solo button there's brief moment when both tracks are playing.
So every time I press solo I basically get like 300ms of both tracks = it hurts my ears and makes a comparison impossible.

Any one with the same problem and perhaps a solution? Can't find any info on the forum.
joevegna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Fergler

I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding how you are toggling. One track is normal, the other is muted and you solo that track?

Are there any plugins that cause delay involved on either track or the master track?

Muting has a little more going on in terms of how it interacts with CPU, from what I understand, in certain circumstances it can (I believe) change the state of processing for plugins, whereas soloing does not actually affect other tracks. Again I'm not entirely sure of this, but that's what I recall.

So you may instead want to try grouping the solo buttons of the two tracks so that they are opposite of each other. This is done by right clicking the tracks with both selected and opening Track grouping parameters. Enable both master and slave for Solo for this goup.

Now you can shift click the solo button on one of the tracks to turn it on separately from grouping, after which a regular click will turn off solo for that track but enable it on the other.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
joevegna

You are a genius!

That's a much better way of doing it.
Now there's a bit of silence when I toggle but that's a million times better than both tracks playing.

Thank you so much.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Fergler

Another even smoother option is to group the volume faders, same way, only one additional step is select just one of the tracks and tick Reverse volume. Now shift drag one of the faders to the bottom.

Now any time you double click the fader which is all the way down it will reset to unity and the other will go to -inf. Just tested this and no clicks or pops this way.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
joevegna

Awesome!
Got to love Reaper.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
xpander

Yet another way could be to use the exclusive solo. CTRL+Alt left click the solo button (in Windows, Option + Command in Mac).
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote