Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
Basterd_Arch
Human being with feelings

Default Total noob can't get MIDI to playback

I'm tearing my hair out here. Addictive Drums was working perfectly with Reaper until I installed a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. After installing the Solo and restarting the pc, no sound whatsoever is coming from the Addictive Drum tracks. All the other audio tracks play back with sound. The funny thing is, the drum image continues to be animated on the UI during playback in time with the beat. The same thing goes for all my other midi tracks, which lost their sound as well. All of my projects in Reaper have suffered the same fate. I'm on Windows 10. Any help in the right direction would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Basterd_Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Basterd_Arch and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:

Installing a new audio interface and driver would not affect just your MIDI tracks. As the AD GUI is still animated then the MIDI is reaching that plug-in.
-- mute all the other tracks,
-- do the AD track's meters show the audio level?
-- does the master track show the audio level?

If not then there is a routing issue somewhere.

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file, using ReaSynth, not AD (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 01-17-2019, 04:00 AM   #3
Coachz

Can you play a sound sample back ? Just drag an mp3 into a track and try to play it. Is your master io set to play audio through your Focusrite ?

You can also try to right click the VSTi and put it offline and then bring it back online.

Check the io on Addictive Drums to make sure it goes up to parent too to get to master.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Basterd_Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Hello Basterd_Arch and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:

Installing a new audio interface and driver would not affect just your MIDI tracks. As the AD GUI is still animated then the MIDI is reaching that plug-in.
-- mute all the other tracks,
-- do the AD track's meters show the audio level?
-- does the master track show the audio level?

If not then there is a routing issue somewhere.

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file, using ReaSynth, not AD (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
No, the audio levels for the AD track isn't showing anything at all during playback. I attached a project with 2 tracks, first is the addictive drums track and second one is ReaSynth. I'll take a look at those guides. I'm sure they're gonna be very useful.. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Drum problem.rar (20.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Basterd_Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Can you play a sound sample back ? Just drag an mp3 into a track and try to play it. Is your master io set to play audio through your Focusrite ?

You can also try to right click the VSTi and put it offline and then bring it back online.

Check the io on Addictive Drums to make sure it goes up to parent too to get to master.
I tried taking it offline then online again, no luck. Uhm, noobness alert, how do I check the io?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
Fergler

For the plugin, press the "2 out" (or may say "16 out" or otherwise) at the top of the plugin window. This will show you the routing pins. For stereo playback, it should have inputs 1 and 2 ticked and outputting to 1 and 2.

For the track itself, press the Route button on the default theme. Make sure the track has Master send ticked at the top left of the window.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
Basterd_Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
For the plugin, press the "2 out" (or may say "16 out" or otherwise) at the top of the plugin window. This will show you the routing pins. For stereo playback, it should have inputs 1 and 2 ticked and outputting to 1 and 2.

For the track itself, press the Route button on the default theme. Make sure the track has Master send ticked at the top left of the window.
Tried those, didn't work either...
Old 01-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
Basterd_Arch

By the way. Addictive Drums doesn't work as well on Bitwig. So I guess the problem might not be in Reaper but in Windows itself (Windows 10). I also tested Awesome Piano on a different track in Reaper, no sound output either.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
Alistair S

I'm running Windows 10 and I get sound out of your project (using ReaSynth - I don't have AD on this laptop). I get sound if I put Reasynth on the AD track too - so I would say the routing is fine.

I'm flummoxed because you say you can play back audio files in Reaper that are loaded into the same project, but not tracks with midi? Did I understand that right?
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
wolfdogg

Just downloaded and replaced with a different MIDI drum program. No problem here. Does Addictive Drums have a stand alone program you can launch to test?

Try loading midiox and see if your computer is getting a signal outside of Reaper.
http://www.midiox.com/

Last edited by wolfdogg; 01-18-2019 at 06:41 PM.
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #11
Basterd_Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
I'm running Windows 10 and I get sound out of your project (using ReaSynth - I don't have AD on this laptop). I get sound if I put Reasynth on the AD track too - so I would say the routing is fine.

I'm flummoxed because you say you can play back audio files in Reaper that are loaded into the same project, but not tracks with midi? Did I understand that right?
Yes, audio files are fine. Reasynth works for me as well. I just downloaded & installed MTpowerdrum kit, it's working fine. Although I would really prefer AD, it just plain sounds better
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
Basterd_Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
Just downloaded and replaced with a different MIDI drum program. No problem here. Does Addictive Drums have a stand alone program you can launch to test?

Try loading midiox and see if your computer is getting a signal outside of Reaper.
http://www.midiox.com/
Addictive Drums' standalone presents the same issue. Animated images, no sound. Installed midiox, is there anything that's supposed to be showing up during playback of midi files?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:01 AM   #13
DarkStar

7-ZIP here cannot open your .rar file.

Does the AD Mixer itself show any audio levels?