Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-08-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
Alexis Baskind
Human being with feelings

Default Two instances of Melodyne (VST3/ARA) in the same session interfere with each other

Hi all,

Here a bug report:

How to reproduce:

create a new Reaper session
create 2 tracks and import some audio in each of them
instantiate one Melodyne (VST3/ARA) per track

What I would expect:

Both Melodyne instances work independently from each other

What happens instead:

After ARA analysis, it turns out that the Melodyne data in both tracks is the same and corresponds to the track with the latest instance of Melodyne. The data from the first instance is apparently lost.

Also, with the session I'm working on, I get the already reported error message from Melodyne "There is a problem with the structure of this document." (already reported in another post). However I'm also not able to reproduce it on a fresh session.

best regards,

Alexis

Reaper v5.981+dev0805/64 rev 9594e8

Melodyne 4.2.2

OS 10.11.6
Alexis Baskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
Burnsjethro

The advice I received was:

You have track 01 did some corrections and now want to change the pitch of track 02.
FIRST you need to click on the track header of track 02 in reaper and then open the Melodyne window on track 02.
NOW the focus is on the second Melodyne instance and the changes will stay only on this track.
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Baskind View Post
What I would expect:

Both Melodyne instances work independently from each other
Just to note: Melodyne Studio users except exactly opposite, and they get that (Studio is multi-track capable and operating or at least observing several tracks in the same instance is a big advantage).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
The advice I received was:

You have track 01 did some corrections and now want to change the pitch of track 02.
FIRST you need to click on the track header of track 02 in reaper and then open the Melodyne window on track 02.
NOW the focus is on the second Melodyne instance and the changes will stay only on this track.
Their 'solution' doesn't work for me, unfortunately (Melodyne Assistant 4.2.x) :-(
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:14 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Sorry to hear that.
Maybe you might find something to help you in this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222983
Old 08-23-2019, 03:09 AM   #6
Alexis Baskind

Hi,

@Burnsjethro: thanks for the tip (selecting the track first), it seems to work, not that intuitive though, but I can live with it. I guess this bug will be corrected in a next release. BTW, I updated Melodyne to 4.2.3 and Reaper to 5.982, and still have the same issue.

Regarding your second tip (looking at the thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222983): I already knew this thread, this did not help further.

Best,

Alexis
Alexis Baskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:53 AM   #7
Burnsjethro

Glad it helped. No it's not intuitive at all.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:51 AM   #8
Peelybird

Following info applies for versions of Melodyne 5 excluding Melodyne Studio.

I know this is a super old post but the answer wasn't so obvious when reading this and the post linked was TLDR;.

Using multiple instances of Melodyne 5 assistant and Reaper 6.83 to align vocals, BGV and doubles.

Basically Melodyne will show the notes for whatever media item is currently selected when you open the FX chain window for ANY track. So, yes, not as you'd normally expect.

Imagine you have a "media item A" in Track one selected. When you open the Melodyne instance on Track 1 the notes for that "media item A" will be what you see. So far great. But then open the Melodyne instance on Track 2 with the same "Media item A" selected - you will see the exact same notes in the track 2 Melodyne instance. Weird but as ARA works I suppose. To remedy, simply ensure you are always highlighting the media item you want first before opening the FX window, regardless of Track FX button pressed. You can then work with multiple instances showing different track media.

Added note: The "Follow selectin in DAW" should be turned off for this behavour. Otherwise any instance of melodyne simply shows the current Media Item selection in Reaper as soon as you click the media item. Useful if you are only opening one instance of Melodyn. Not good otherwise.

Hope this helps someone scratching their head as I was.
Peelybird is offline   Reply With Quote