Old 07-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
theOtherHolmes
Human being with feelings

Default TouchOSC works everywhere BUT Reaper

I'm having an weird issue with Reaper and the TouchOSC app. Any help would be appreciated.

* System specs: macOS 10.11, Reaper 5.979, TouchOSC Bridge, and TouchOSC 1.9.10-a2 running on an Android phone with the "TouchOSC v2" layout supplied by Embertone.

* Virtual instruments: Embertone "Intimate Strings" series (Friedlander Violin, Fischer Viola, Blakus Cello & Leonid Bass), all of which have vibrato and expression that can be controlled through TouchOSC.

I have NO trouble getting TouchOSC to work when playing any of the Intimate Strings series directly through Kontakt Player (the desktop application).

Similarly, I have NO trouble getting TouchOSC to work when playing any of the Intimate Strings series through Kontakt Player running as a GarageBand plug-in.

But I cannot get TouchOSC working through Kontakt Player running as a Reaper plug-in. I have followed all of the steps at https://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-setup-reaper and I know I have done them right because Reaper's "Listen…" function registers all sorts of data when I start manipulating controls on the TouchOSC app. But none of that data is registered in Kontakt Player (e.g., vibrato and expression never change).

Yes, TouchOSC Bridge is up and running.

And here is the even weirder thing: I will run Intimate Strings through the Kontakt Player desktop application and TouchOSC works fine; then I will quit the Kontakt Player desktop app, open Reaper, and try to make TouchOSC work and it doesn't; then I will quit Reaper and reopen the Kontakt Player desktop app and TouchOSC NO LONGER WORKS unless I restart my computer.

Anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
theOtherHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
azslow3

Have you enabled TouchOSC bridge MIDI ports in REAPER MIDI settings and routed them correctly?

There are 2 ways TouchOSC communicates with programs on computer. One is "directly", that is what you have tried with REAPER specific setup. That can control FXes, but you need special layout inside TouchOSC (not the same as with standalone programs), not sure it exist for your case.

The second way is throw TouchOSC bridge. In this case the application just see "normal MIDI" and it should be explicitly routed to plug-in in question (as MIDI input, record arm, monitoring on).

Note: I do not have mac, nor these layouts, nor mentioned plug-ins. But TouchOSC is what it is
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Reaper's "Listen…" function registers all sorts of data when I start manipulating controls on the TouchOSC app. But none of that data is registered in Kontakt Player (e.g., vibrato and expression never change).
Obviously the appropriate messages are on the "Reaper Control Path" but not on the Midi stream of the track you loaded the Kontakt plugin in. Seemingly "TouchOSC bridge" provides a standard Midi device that Reaper (and any other Midi aware application) will see and allow to be used as a Track's Midi input.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #4
theOtherHolmes

@mschnell and @azslow3:

Thank you for your responses. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that TouchOSC or TouchOSC Bridge should show up somewhere in the MIDI input menu for the track itself? Here's a link to what I see when I look at available MIDI inputs (sorry the JPEG isn't posting inline, I haven't figured that out yet):

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1564143013

TouchOSC is not there. (The "E-Mu" thing is just the cable that connects my Roland keyboard to my USB.) Have I not configured something correctly?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper-midi-input-screen-shot.jpg (62.9 KB, 215 views)
Old 07-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
azslow3

Have a look into the Preferences/MIDI, in/out should be enabled there.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #6
theOtherHolmes

Thank you @azslow3, that was the clue I needed. For anyone else trying to use Embertone Intimate Strings with TouchOSC and Reaper, here's the process that worked for me:

1. Forget about the instructions at https://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-setup-reaper. Those are only for controlling Reaper's faders and knobs. They will not help if you are trying to control a specific virtual instrument's CC parameters.

2. Make sure TouchOSC Bridge is up and running on your computer, make sure that TouchOSC is running on your phone or tablet, and make sure they are both on the same wireless network and properly set up to communicate. If you need help with these steps, follow the instructions at https://hexler.net/docs/touchosc (for iOS) or https://hexler.net/docs/touchosc?android (for Android, obviously) -- but ignore the "Setup Examples" section (see #1, above).

3. Go to Reaper and navigate to Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices. Under the "MIDI inputs to make available" list you should see TouchOSC as an option. Right-click in the "Mode" column and select both "Enable input" and "Enable input for control messages".

4. Load one of the Intimate Strings as a virtual instrument in Reaper and test it out.

This worked for me with the "Blakus Cello Full - TouchOSC" instrument and the "TouchOSC v2" layout supplied by Embertone. It would probably work with the others too but I haven't tested all of them yet.

EDIT #1: Sometimes this looks like it's not working, usually after I've put my computer to sleep, and sometimes when the Intimate Strings instrument is not the first I've added to my project. But if I restart Reaper, it always works again.

Last edited by theOtherHolmes; 07-27-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: More testing
Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
mschnell

For controlling virtual instrumenst you can uncheck "Enable input for control messages". Same - again - in for controlling Reaper's own controls (via Midi rather than via OSC).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote