Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
morgon
Human being with feelings

Default Fool For You

https://soundcloud.com/user-75039506...ou-m-d-gardell

It's the same track that's posted in the Song a Month Club thread but I thought I'd post it here as well to get max coverage on any mix advice, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
superblonde.org

on imac speakers,

overall, sounds trebly

the intro couple bars sounds thin (too trebly, low mids?) and too much verb - although that could be a wrong description, "too much verb", it could just be that the tone sounds off.

vocals much too hot

not sure what that percussion sound is (or supposed to be a synth? or is it a metallic bow?), instead of a normal snare, but to me it doesn't seem to fit the track well. kind of a punk sounding song and there's this weird ping-zing thing, doesn't mesh to me. as far as mixing goes, if the instrument is what it is, then maybe it could use more compression to get rid of the harsh initial transient.

maybe this track would be a candidate for stretch markers to fix up the timing.

the guitar solo sounds out of tune, was the guitar out of tune? or were the notes bent out of tune. a good candidate to autotune the guitar.

also, can you post a link to the original thread because I am curious what was said before.

Last edited by superblonde.org; 08-08-2019 at 01:51 PM.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
Jorgen

I know your abilities, so this is an interesting change of (certain) aesthetics, I'd say, I think I get it now. Artistic choices. (Come to think of Iggy Pop's Asshole Blues -- never tried it myself, maybe I should.)
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I know your abilities, so this is an interesting change of (certain) aesthetics, I'd say, I think I get it now. Artistic choices. (Come to think of Iggy Pop's Asshole Blues -- never tried it myself, maybe I should.)
I just had a basic chord riff and tried to mold something around it, I don't ever really set out with a certain style or genre in mind but I often use elements that are kind of associated with certain genres, 12 bar 'boogey' riffs, metal arpeggios and riffs, thrash chords etc, didn't really do any of that in this one though, that's probably why it's a bit 'unusual'.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote