Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #41
phonofranz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
v4.0alpha66 - April 20 2011
+ DDP export plug-in (thanks to Sergej Marsnjak!)
this is great !
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #42
EvilDragon

And here's a screenshot for you guys, this is how it should look:

[IMG]http://img832.**************/img832/7682/midifilterdocked.th.png[/IMG]

Last edited by EvilDragon; 04-21-2011 at 05:18 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #43
geoffroy

Quote:
+ Snap: option to snap cursor to edge of media items on any track
YEAH! Works like a charm!!!
Thanks devs!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #44
musicbynumbers

I guess the reason my toolbar now has it's sizes all over the place is because the icons are actually not all the same amount of actual pixels.

I can see how useful this mode could be as you can now make buttons of any size. But I wonder if there could be a way per toolbar to constrict this or perhaps I can use Justin's handy image resizer app!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #45
mikeroephonics

I agree with EvilDragon. The MIDI Filter window should dock within the MIDI Editor, not on the main Docker.

It's cumbersome to line up the MIDI Editor so that the docked Filter is visible on the right (or left) side.

Also, the docked Filter can't be adjusted to maximize screen real estate.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #46
pixeltarian

still tons of random crashes on OSX. no rhyme or reason to them.

some as simple as:
- open reaper
- go to preferences
- click "appearance"
- crash

this is off a brand new install where I deleted the v4 directory and created a new reaper.ini file in a new directory (fresh portable install).
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #47
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
still tons of random crashes on OSX. no rhyme or reason to them.

some as simple as:
- open reaper
- go to preferences
- click "appearance"
- crash
I have noticed these crashes too on a completely fresh install of reaper on a multitude of different Mac models.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #48
timlloyd

strange, it's running smoother than a quantum-stabilised atom mirror on my laptop - OSX 10.6.7
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #49
timlloyd

The DDP export is a brilliant new feature. However, it's unnecessarily complex for the user imo.

Is it possible to have a "DDP edit/setup" window that allows the user to actually set up the DDP markers etc... that works like the Sonoris DDP creator?

I don't know how complex it would be to create it, but if DDP output is already available, it doesn't seem to me that it would be very difficult to package up the guts of it into a better interface than creating lots of markers with specific names that are easy to screw up ...

A list-view like the Sonoris, that when edited would shift the audio on a given track around and create the necessary markers for us would be very very useful
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #50
RBowlin

So far I've not had any issues with the double width icons. I am SO diggin this. Double-width text icons. Just what I needed.

Thanks!

-Rich
RBowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #51
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
The DDP export is a brilliant new feature. However, it's unnecessarily complex for the user imo.

Is it possible to have a "DDP edit/setup" window that allows the user to actually set up the DDP markers etc... that works like the Sonoris DDP creator?

I don't know how complex it would be to create it, but if DDP output is already available, it doesn't seem to me that it would be very difficult to package up the guts of it into a better interface than creating lots of markers with specific names that are easy to screw up ...

A list-view like the Sonoris, that when edited would shift the audio on a given track around and create the necessary markers for us would be very very useful
Whet is this located? I cannot find it. Or is it just for pc.
Thanks J
Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #52
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, you guys have misunderstood us. We don't want MIDI filter to be docked in the Docker! It needs to be docked to the right of MIDI editor! And PLEASE let us click the NAME of the item to switch to it!
+1 to both

happens a lot that I intuitively try to click on the item name in the Midi filter to switch it instead of that little square
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #53
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
Whet is this located? I cannot find it. Or is it just for pc.
Thanks J
It's a render output option - in the output format drop-down menu in the render dialogue. Click "?" for a text file on how you need to set things up in order to export ...

///

@ ED, can you please post thumbnails instead of gargantuan images?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #54
Janne83

Quote:
It's a render output option - in the output format drop-down menu in the render dialogue. Click "?" for a text file on how you need to set things up in order to export ...

///

@ ED, can you please post thumbnails instead of gargantuan images?

Thanks T

I was looking at the render window but somehow i missed it.
Also the DDP edit/setup idea would be great +1 from me

Regard J
Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #55
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
speaking of import and export formats...
would it be possible to include m4a for both?

I and a few others have to deal with this nonsense on occassion on a pc...

the only workaround I am aware of is via dbpoweramp along with free front end they provide to run the nero m4a enc\decode command line exe's.... which are also free...

sure some that format is the restricted stuff that iTunes sells but still a lot of it is not at all restricted. So it would seen good if reaper could do this.

any thoughts?
Before Reaper goes and supports commandline tools, which require that the command line tools support piping or Reaper would have to render an inbetweener file beforehand, go and grab the Batch Converter frontend from this page.

It'll let you mass convert with any commandline tools.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #56
gridlove

Quote:
+ Toolbars: optional double-width text buttons

+ Snap: option to snap cursor to edge of media items on any track
Fantastic, double width text works fine here.
Also, the snap cursor to edge has completely sharpened reaper in my eyes

Great update!
gridlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #57
krahosk

Quote:
Yes, you guys have misunderstood us. We don't want MIDI filter to be docked in the Docker! It needs to be docked to the right of MIDI editor!
Definitely yes, it's better suited within the MIDI editor window. Fish belong in the water, walking creatures on land. Resizable too when docked!

Quote:
And PLEASE let us click the NAME of the item to switch to it!
I agree, it's a very practical way to navigate through the items.

Quote:
Also, we need an action which would show/hide filter window (docker or undocked) in MIDI editor context!
Yes.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #58
Sergenious

Quote:

It is a little harder to make edit screen without interference with the default marker usage. For some, creating markers is easier and more intuitive, as this is in the time domain, others prefer the list.
However, a feature could be at least to display the (readonly) list of tracks with INDEX positions and meta data. But if the list is editable, it can make the conflict with the markers, if the markers are moved after the track list is edited.

Yes, to fully use the markers, it can be a little complex. But if you don't need INDEX0, ISRC, EAN, you can just use # markers, as for CUE/BIN export. Other metadata is optional.

My music (metal)
Sergenious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #59
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergenious View Post
It is a little harder to make edit screen without interference with the default marker usage. For some, creating markers is easier and more intuitive, as this is in the time domain, others prefer the list.
However, a feature could be at least to display the (readonly) list of tracks with INDEX positions and meta data. But if the list is editable, it can make the conflict with the markers, if the markers are moved after the track list is edited.
Would it really be difficult to have an editable list that was itself updated by the manual moving of markers? They would both update each other - maybe I'm not understanding the issue with this?

Also very useful (arguably essential) would be RedBook compliance checking of the DDP set that would result from the current marker set.

... and burning straight to CD from the DDP render window as well ...

I'm asking a lot, I know, but such a feature begs for additional functionality in order to be reliable and useful for the majority of users.

Maybe a dedicated DDP discussion thread is a good idea?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #60
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Would it really be difficult to have an editable list that was itself updated by the manual moving of markers? They would both update each other - maybe I'm not understanding the issue with this?

Also very useful (arguably essential) would be RedBook compliance checking of the DDP set that would result from the current marker set.

I'm asking a lot, I know, but such a feature begs for additional functionality in order to be reliable and useful for the majority of users.

What about sws including it in their marker window (that's unless the new region window in reaper gets some love)
Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #61
Sergenious

Quote:

Redbook compliance is ensured by automatically correcting the tracks to conform the specification.
To make the both-way editable list <--> markers, it would need a little more integration into the REAPER, and more programming time

My music (metal)
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #62
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Definitely yes, it's better suited within the MIDI editor window. Fish belong in the water, walking creatures on land. Resizable too when docked!
It would resize along with MIDI editor.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #63
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by typewriter View Post
Is the number of files that can be processed at once still limited?

I did stereo to mono conversions of a couple of thousand samples and I got stuck because the batch converter allows only a certain (unkonwn) number of files to be dragged in at once.
Interesting. This points to somewhat inefficient handling of massive file loads by Windows and/or Reaper.

Perhaps a "we're checking the files" progress bar ?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #64
timlloyd

Quote:
To make the both-way editable list <--> markers, it would need a little more integration into the REAPER, and more programming time
Would both of those things be possible?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #65
Sergenious

Quote:
Would both of those things be possible?
Possible, yes, but now only theoretically.
It is not recommended, that some export plugin is changing the markers. The export plugin should only change the output file, but leave the session intact.

What I see as an option, is editable list, which is always filled automatically by reading the markers. But, if this list is edited manually, then the markers will not affect the list anymore, unless some "reset list" button is pressed.

But, there is not enough time to make this feature soon . Maybe in the near future....

P.S.: you can open a dedicated thread.

My music (metal)
Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #66
Subz

Quote:
And here's a screenshot for you guys, this is how it should look:

[IMG]http://img832.**************/img832/7682/midifilterdocked.th.png[/IMG]
nice mock up

but i feel the tool-bar buttons should stay on top of the docked midi filter window (so as not to break my tool-bar setup

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #67
Subz

Quote:
Yes, you guys have misunderstood us. We don't want MIDI filter to be docked in the Docker! It needs to be docked to the right of MIDI editor! And PLEASE let us click the NAME of the item to switch to it!

+1

Subz
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #68
timlloyd

Quote:
Possible, yes, but now only theoretically.
It is not recommended, that some export plugin is changing the markers. The export plugin should only change the output file, but leave the session intact.
This begins to sounds like it doesn't belong as a plug-in, but rather as an actual part of the REAPER application :-/

Quote:
What I see as an option, is editable list, which is always filled automatically by reading the markers. But, if this list is edited manually, then the markers will not affect the list anymore, unless some "reset list" button is pressed.
That's what I was going to suggest initially.

Is your plug-in going to be distributed with R4 by default? It seems so, in which case I really don't understand why it's not just completely integrated.

///

Re. the automatic RedBook enforcement - what if someone wanted to generate a DDP set that would duplicate and work correctly, while actually violating RedBook, such as having a hidden pre-index 1 track? It seems like the type of thing that might be better as an separate optional "check compatibility" and subsequent "force conform" functions if that makes sense.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #69
schwa
Administrator

Ooooookay.

There are a number of bugs in the toolbar button arranging that will get fixed in a 66a release shortly, but one change that is not a bug is that previously toolbar buttons were always converted to 30x30 regardless of the size of the actual button image. (The images in all the default themes are 30x30, but custom themes might have different button image sizes, or people might have borrowed other images to use for custom toolbar buttons.) Now toolbar buttons will be shown at their correct image size, which is allowed to be anything and not required to be square.

So some of the odd toolbar behavior people are seeing is due to bugs, but some is due to REAPER now respecting the theme image sizes. Once 66a is out we can figure out if any remaining oddness is caused by remaining bugs, or is just because of people's custom image sizes.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #70
Sergenious

Quote:
Re. the automatic RedBook enforcement - what if someone wanted to generate a DDP set that would duplicate and work correctly, while actually violating RedBook, such as having a hidden pre-index 1 track? It seems like the type of thing that might be better as an separate optional "check compatibility" and subsequent "force conform" functions if that makes sense.
No no, this is not violating the Redbook. The hidden track is completely standard. You just create INDEX0 marker at the 0:00, and INDEX1 (track start) anywhere after 2 seconds. The audio between 0:00 and the first INDEX1 is the hidden track.

My music (metal)
Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #71
schwa
Administrator

Also, MIDI filter docking in the MIDI editor itself is not coming in 4.0, maybe later in the 4.x series.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #72
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
This begins to sounds like it doesn't belong as a plug-in, but rather as an actual part of the REAPER application :-/
This is just semantic. REAPER is structured so that a lot of core functionality is technically a "plug-in" (dynamically loaded library). This causes no performance or functionality limitation. Most complex applications are structured the same way, in fact some applications have practically all of their core functionality in plug-ins.

If the DDP export code wanted to change the project markers, it could. I don't want to speak for Sergei, but I believe his point is just that the act of exporting should not alter the project.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #73
bennetng

Apart from docking the MIDI filter in the MIDI editor, please make the MIDI filter more resizble. Now the minimum size of the MIDI filter is too big and wasted a lot of space. The piano key on left hand side should be resizble too.

Last edited by bennetng; 09-07-2013 at 09:26 AM.
bennetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #74
AdamWathan

Is toolbar_blank pink line enabled? Any buttons without squared corners stretch in a pretty ugly way at the moment!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #75
Sergenious

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If the DDP export code wanted to change the project markers, it could. I don't want to speak for Sergei, but I believe his point is just that the act of exporting should not alter the project.
Yes, that's what I meant.

My music (metal)
Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #76
Evan

Quote:
Also, MIDI filter docking in the MIDI editor itself is not coming in 4.0, maybe later in the 4.x series.
Thanks for letting us know.

As an alternative, do you know the window snap thing, where two windows snap and move together when they're attached (like with Winamp)... is this something that can be done (sooner)?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #77
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Is toolbar_blank pink line enabled?
Not in alpha66, but it will be in 66a or shortly thereafter.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #78
Subz

Quote:
Understood!

Thanks for the feedback we will start bugging you again after 4 is out & stable (with reinforcements! )

Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #79
El-Rallef

Quote:
strange, it's running smoother than a quantum-stabilised atom mirror on my laptop - OSX 10.6.7
Is it still OK with the flux capacitor turned off?

El-Rallef
Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #80
airon

Quote:
Not in alpha66, but it will be in 66a or shortly thereafter.
Wohooooo.

Dare I dream of any-size-on-a-30-pixel-grid buttons?