Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Can you help this frustrated soul out?

From: http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=269616

"I feel the need to rant for a bit. Feel free to ignore me.

JesusSonic needs to make up its mind as to whether it's a programming language or a scripting language! It tries to be an easy to use scripting-type language (weakly typed, automatic memory management), but then it tries to allow complex, low-level functionality too (modifying individual audio samples, allowing you to specifically copy and allocate memory, etc.)

Why can't it just function like C? Let me specifically allocate my arrays and integers myself. Let me decide if that variable is going to be an int or a float. Let me access files directly instead of going through wav specific memcopy functions!

And write some better documentation! If your users are going to be performing low-level functionality (like, say, real-time anything), let them know what's going on under the hood so that they can make good programming decisions instead of just guessing. What's the scope of this variable I used inside a loop in my @init section? Who knows? The documentation sure isn't going to tell me. Is the line "var = 5000" going to give me an integer with a value of 5000? A float with a value of 5000.0? An array starting at local memory location 5000? Something else entirely? Does this array of 'n' elements end on element n or n-1?

It's trying to be an amalgam of C and perl, and it's not doing a very good job of either.

Ok. I'm done now."
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote