Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
Voodoo Chile
Human being with feelings

Default power outtage recover wav files

had a recent power outtage during a live recording. unfortunately, after restarting windows, though the wav files are there with large file sizes (800mb), reaper can't open them nor will vlc play them. Hex editor shows only zeroes in every row. imported into audacity no luck. stumped.

any suggestions on how to recover these files?

also, can cockos please explain how the recording process works. in other words, since the corrupted files are so huge, it seems to me they must contain at least the majority of the recording. seems to me further there must be some way to recover at least most of the file.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Voodoo Chile; 06-29-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Voodoo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
peter5992

Were you able to finish at least one take before the power went out?

If not, the large wav files are probably temp files which upon finishing the recording would be converted to proper wav files. I doubt there's much you can do with them at this point, but maybe someone has an idea.

Going forward I recommend using an UPS (uninterrupted power supply) so that even when the lights go down, you can save your session and any recording up to then.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

If the OS manages to get the data to disk, REAPER should be able to read the data back (even with a broken .wav header). If the files are all zeroes, then the OS failed. If you like you can zip up the files and post that somewhere (if the zip file is tiny then obviously there's no data, if the zip is big, then there might be a chance!).

I've had a power outage while recording in REAPER on Windows, and did manage to recover (most of) the recording.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Voodoo Chile

Thanks for the replies. I actually did use a UPS but someone during setup plugged the lights into one of the battery backup sockets causing the UPS to fail also when the power went out. I unfortunately didn't notice it in time. Lesson learned in that regard.

Nevertheless, a full wav file is 1,048,625 KB in size with a time length of 2:04:16 (hh:mm:ss). Once this limit is reached, of course, Reaper begins building a new file. In this case, the power outage occurred when the file size was at 743,232 KB (well over an hour of audio). This tells me that Reaper is continuously increasing the temp file size as time goes on. I would think the file size is increasing because Reaper is filling it full of audio data. If this is true, seems to me the audio data is in there somewhere and I should be able to extract it or at least some of it. Would like to know if anyone has ever been able to successfully retrieve the audio from a broken file due to a power outage and if so how did you do it on a Windows machine?

If Reaper isn't filling the temp file with audio as time goes on (hence the zero's in the Hex editor maybe?) can someone please explain to us the process Reaper uses to populate these audio files at the 2 hour time limit?

Also, is there a way to setup Reaper so it saves everything in say 15 minute increments instead of 2 hour increments?

Thanks again for all your help on this subject.

Last edited by Voodoo Chile; 06-29-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
Sari

Preferences>Project>Project Saving
Old 06-30-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
serr

My experience with Reaper in OSX is that Reaper writes an end of file mark with every buffer-full of data. Resulting in a constant valid file with EOF flag as the recording rolls. If power cuts... it works just like tape. The file is valid right up to where power went out.

The one thing that will be in error is the file header. It will not have had the final file size written to the header. Reaper opens wav files with invalid headers like that however. You can simply glue/render to a new file. Further, there will also be no time stamp written to the header. If the recording started later than 0:00 on the timeline, that reference position will be lost. You'll be lining that back up manually if it was an overdub that started in the middle.

So that's my experience with Reaper in OSX. I thought the EOF mark with each buffer-full was slick and pretty bulletproof.

Maybe the hard drive itself became damaged from the power cut?
Or this is an OSX only thing?

I'd take a look at those files again. If the data is truly all zeros, either the hard drive failed as fallout from the outage and you're not truly reading it anymore. Or something crashed with the OS somehow and this event actually happened at the start of the recording (it was recording all zeros the whole time).

Sorry I don't have an answer but I wanted to point out the system and how it was supposed to handle it for reference FWIW.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
Dr Bob

If you can, I would take up Justin's offer to look at it for you!

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Voodoo Chile

First off, the file is way too big to simply share over the internet. Secondly, and no offense to Dr. Bob or Justin, but I don't think anybody in their right mind really wants to share their privately recorded raw audio with anyone much less a complete stranger. So that's not really a viable option.

I think simple instructions listed here on how to extract data from a corrupted Reaper generated wav file on a windows machine isn't really asking too much. Furthermore, I am absolutely sure I ain't the first this has happened to nor will I be the last. It's just a wav file. Listing all the possibilities on what to do with a corrupted wav file, even if it takes up a whole page, will provide much more help to the Reaper community as a whole than just me and my one file.

So Justin, or anyone else who cares to help, rather than me uploading a file, it would be great if someone would do us all a big favor here and share with us your workflow on this topic. I'll give you my time and specs and post anything I discover to this forum as we work together in solving this common problem in the openness of a public forum.

btw, thanks Sari for the 'Project Saving' lead. I selected "Every '15' minutes 'any time'. Let me know if that isn't correct. If it is, at least I won't lose as much data if this ever happens again in the future. Much appreciated.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
Dr Bob

ummm … Justin - as in the owner and creator of Reaper??????

Just saying …

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #10
fakemaxwell

Err who cares about the "privacy of raw audio" if it doesn't play back?
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #11
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Chile View Post
First off, the file is way too big to simply share over the internet. Secondly, and no offense to Dr. Bob or Justin, but I don't think anybody in their right mind really wants to share their privately recorded raw audio with anyone much less a complete stranger. So that's not really a viable option.

You can upload the files to dropbox and post a link here.

Justin is not just some dude, he is the guy who wrote the program. If there is anyone who would be able to rescue your recording, it would be him.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
Voodoo Chile

It doesn't really matter if Justin is THE Justin. Customers innately do not want to share their raw files with anyone. Regardless if that someone happens to be the owner. I mean who's to say it isn't someone else writing his messages for him for all I know. This is an internet forum, there isn’t any proof.

I think a comprehensive troubleshooting tutorial on all the things one can do to try to recover a broken wav files is all that is really needed. If after doing all of those things and it still doesn't work then maybe sending the files to Cockos might be in order. The truth is, I have a total of 16 separate tracks of wav files each with over an hour of performance corrupted. Sending 11.3 Gigs of data to Cockos isn't really an option I'm ready to exercise just yet.

And btw, I appreciate yawl's work on this forum, but I'm on the front lines actually using the product under extreme conditions and putting it through its paces. And because I'm using REAPER, and thanks to you guys, I rarely ever need to come here. Therefore, I'm not familiar with who's who on the forum. Nor should you guys assume that’s common knowledge to everyone that shows up to ask a question.

Now that we are done getting to know each other a little better, can we please get a tutorial on this common problem. It's the only problem I have never found an appropriate answer to nor appropriate documentation of. And its by far the most important of all problems real user's will have to deal with at some point in time.

Last edited by Voodoo Chile; 06-30-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #13
lucas_LCS

Quote:
recover a broken wav file
I googled that part of your post.
It gave me this link as just one of many options:
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...rrupt-wav-file

It says to do this:
Determine If the .Wav File Is Damaged
1) Locate the .wav file. Right-click the file. In the menu that appears, select "Properties."
2) Select the "Details" tab.
3) Check for information in the Details pane. If information is missing, the file is corrupted.

Repair the .Wav File
1) Open your audio-editing software program.
2) Open the .wav file you want to repair as a "RAW" file.
3) Save the file in the .wav format.
4) Close the audio-editing software.
5) Play the .wav file to ensure that the repair and conversion was completed.

If for some reason you cannot open it with Reaper, try Audacity or some other WAV editor instead.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #14
Voodoo Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I've had a power outage while recording in REAPER on Windows, and did manage to recover (most of) the recording.
How did you do it Justin? These files are huge so it seems to me there is something still in them. Perhaps I'm not using a good Hex Editor or something.

Any advanced advice would be golden.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #15
peter5992

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if Justin is THE Justin. Customers innately do not want to share their raw files with anyone. Regardless if that someone happens to be the owner. I mean who's to say it isn't someone else writing his messages for him for all I know. This is an internet forum, there isn’t any proof.

I think a comprehensive troubleshooting tutorial on all the things one can do to try to recover a broken wav files is all that is really needed. If after doing all of those things and it still doesn't work then maybe sending the files to Cockos might be in order. The truth is, I have a total of 16 separate tracks of wav files each with over an hour of performance corrupted. Sending 11.3 Gigs of data to Cockos isn't really an option I'm ready to exercise just yet.

And btw, I appreciate yawl's work on this forum, but I'm on the front lines actually using the product under extreme conditions and putting it through its paces. And because I'm using REAPER, and thanks to you guys, I rarely ever need to come here. Therefore, I'm not familiar with who's who on the forum. Nor should you guys assume that’s common knowledge to everyone that shows up to ask a question.

Also, serr, it’s the unnecessary snide remarks like yours that actually gets people angered. Maybe you should keep that kind of stuff to yourself and there would be no stage 2 in your world.

Now that we are done getting to know each other a little better, can we please get a tutorial on this common problem. It's the only problem I have never found an appropriate answer to nor appropriate documentation of. And its by far the most important of all problems real user's will have to deal with at some point in time.

Well, excuse me, Herr Voodoo Chile, for wasting your time.

Reaper is a $60 program with no official support. Did you even pay for the license, or are you just trolling around here?

The Reaper community has pitched in, without being asked, or being compensated, trying to find a solution for something that you fucked up in the first place.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #16
serr

Yeah... I don't know. But I just might be ornery if I lost an important recording.

I'll try once more to be helpful.

If the files recorded to the drive normally before the outage.
And the files now read all zeros in a hex editor.

For both of those to be true, the file indexing on the drive must be corrupt.

Is this also a boot drive?

At any rate, recovery would be:
Stop using the drive immediately!!!!!!!
Copy the raw drive as one entire data dump.

Go searching/sifting through that for audio.
Reconstruction, if you can find all the files, might be a bitch.

That's the short version.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #17
Voodoo Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
trying to find a solution for something that you fucked up in the first place.
Good Lord, what a great bunch of guys/gals around here. This forum is turning out to be REAPER's Achilles heal.

If you read my posts without inserting your own emotions into it, I think its obvious I ain't trolling. This is a very serious question and I am sharing my very serious experiences with it. What part of my responses leads you to believe I am trolling? I think you might be reading a little more into it.

Now please stop fucking up this thread you moron so we can have a serious conversation about this very important subject. Now I am getting pissed!
Old 06-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #18
fakemaxwell

I'm not sure why you're under the impression that this is a common problem. It's not, most of the time you can load the files wrapper-less in VLC, Audacity, Reaper, WaveAgent, etc and it can write the wrappers so that the files are useable. As it has been described, this seems beyond the normal "power outage during recording."

In my experience, customers don't give a shit who listens to the raw audio as long as it gets recovered. The creator of the program is offering you personal help and you're turning it down, if I was in your seat I'd be ecstatic.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #19
Voodoo Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
I'm not sure why you're under the impression that this is a common problem. It's not, most of the time you can load the files wrapper-less in VLC, Audacity, Reaper, WaveAgent, etc and it can write the wrappers so that the files are useable. As it has been described, this seems beyond the normal "power outage during recording."

In my experience, customers don't give a shit who listens to the raw audio as long as it gets recovered. The creator of the program is offering you personal help and you're turning it down, if I was in your seat I'd be ecstatic.
I'm not saying its a common problem in that it happens a lot. I am saying it's one of those things that will eventually occur if you do a lot of recordings over time. This is actually only the second time this has occurred in 10 years of use. However, it is the worst thing that can happen EVER since each recording is an irreplaceable performance.

Believe me, I have tried everything, searched every inch of the internet for the past five years to recover those recordings. Purchased a UPS in hopes that it never happens again. This time the UPS failed. Coming to this forum and wading through the weeds is a desperate attempt to recover a lost recording that occurred over the weekend.

And now I'm beginning to regret that decision.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #20
fakemaxwell

"irreplaceable performance" uh huh

"Desperate attempt" yep

And yet you won't send the files to the person most able to help?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #21
Voodoo Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Yeah... I don't know. But I just might be ornery if I lost an important recording.

I'll try once more to be helpful.

If the files recorded to the drive normally before the outage.
And the files now read all zeros in a hex editor.

For both of those to be true, the file indexing on the drive must be corrupt.

Is this also a boot drive?

At any rate, recovery would be:
Stop using the drive immediately!!!!!!!
Copy the raw drive as one entire data dump.

Go searching/sifting through that for audio.
Reconstruction, if you can find all the files, might be a bitch.

That's the short version.
The drive I was using is an external SSD drive connected through the USB of a windows machine.

The external drive has a light on it that blinks each time data is written to it. When REAPER is writing to it, it of course blinks constantly which leads me to believe audio data is being written to the drive. Hopefully, that is actually what is happening.

Now we are getting somewhere, never tried that before, thank you. I will give that a try.

Not sure what made you think I was upset or being ornery to begin with but I don't think you guys realize how your coming across either then.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #22
JayJSE2

Quote:
And now I'm beginning to regret that decision.
I know it might just be that you haven't gotten around to trying it yet (or you just missed it), but post #13 has a promising looking solution in that you haven't acknowledged yet (as well as Justin's offer of help which you have already refused).

Edit: I originally mentioned post #16 as well, but you replied to that while I was writing this
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #23
Voodoo Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
"irreplaceable performance" uh huh

"Desperate attempt" yep

And yet you won't send the files to the person most able to help?
I'm sure Justin's a great guy but I don't know him personally. if you don't understand why musicians wouldn't want to send their raw files then you never will understand.

especially since we can just as easily work through the problem right here for all to see. that's what the forums are for aren't they? or am I mistaken about that?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #24
Voodoo Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
I know it might just be that you haven't gotten around to trying it yet (or you just missed it), but post #13 has a promising looking solution in that you haven't acknowledged yet (as well as Justin's offer of help which you have already refused).

Edit: I originally mentioned post #16 as well, but you replied to that while I was writing this
Post #13 was obviously made with the insinuation I didn't already do a basic google search. That's seems obvious to me. If the poster had actually read through all of my posts above he/she would have realized I had already tried the basics and not posted that insult.

Look yawl, I am not trying to be a dick here, it's fucking nuts how hard it is to find resolution to problems on this forum. Go back and reread some of your posts and put yourself in my shoes. I'm a simple paying customer who is simply trying to solve a problem as quickly as possible. Seems to me, some of yawl really need to think before hitting the submit button.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #25
hopi

Quote:
Look yawl, I am not trying to be a dick here,
well congratulations on it being so easy for you that you don't even have to try....
Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #26
Voodoo Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
well congratulations on it being so easy for you that you don't even have to try....
As I said, one weed after another.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #27
hopi

GFYSDH
Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #28
fakemaxwell

Creator of program and forum: let me personally help you with this problem

You:
Quote:
it's fucking nuts how hard it is to find resolution to problems on this forum.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #29
peter5992

This Voodoo Child is a troll, let's stop feeding him.

Ten posts down, and he's bitching about not getting enough support from Justin, after he fucked up his recording. Or so he says. Who knows whether he actually recorded anything.

It's time for hammer time.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:40 PM   #30
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Post #13 was obviously made with the insinuation I didn't already do a basic google search. That's seems obvious to me. If the poster had actually read through all of my posts above he/she would have realized I had already tried the basics and not posted that insult.
Interesting.
you read a sincere attempt to help as an "insult".
none of your posts above it said anything about you trying those 'basic' steps.
Normally I would have asked a follow-up question, like did you try opening it as a 'RAW' file or did you just try to open it normally, but I won't ask that now because I don't want to insult you with any more attempts to help.

I get that your probably stressed about this, but it's usually best to put your own emotions in check before telling others to check theirs.
Unfortunately, at this point, you've pretty much guaranteed no one will want to help now.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 06-30-2019 at 10:54 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #31
Voodoo Chile

You guys want to ban me, go ahead, it won't be the end of my world thats for sure. I'll never ask another question on this forum again anyway nor be the nerd who disrupts legitimate customer questions.

all you haters on here obviously have no clue how your fucking up the support for one of the greatest pieces of recording software ever created.

yes, peter5992, fakemaxwell and hopi, by all means, stop posting or 'feeding him' as you call it, your thoughts have added no value to this topic whatsoever anyway.

lucas_LCS, if indeed your efforts were sincere I apologize, you can thank those three yahoos above for setting the tone when I finally made that assessment, nevertheless I thought my very first post set the stage for advanced steps with the Hex Editor bit and the mention of audacity.

So far only Justin and serr have added meaningful hope to solving this problem and we are 30 posts into this thread. Yawl should be ashamed of yourselves.

I will ask a final time, Justin, How did you go about recovering those files from a windows machine? Your reply would be greatly appreciated by me and many many others now and well into the future existence of REAPER, I assure you that.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:40 AM   #32
drumphil

As Justin said:

Quote:
(if the zip file is tiny then obviously there's no data, if the zip is big, then there might be a chance!)
If you zip the files and you get a tiny zip file (which you would get if the whole file was just zeros) then there is no actual audio data in the files to recover.

If you're already checked the files and they're full of zeros, then there is nothing to recover, and whatever fault happened goes beyond the way reaper writes data to the files. That isn't an issue of repairing a damaged wav file, but rather there not actually being a wav file, just an empty file that happens to have .wav as the extension.

Quote:
Also, serr, it’s the unnecessary snide remarks like yours that actually gets people angered. Maybe you should keep that kind of stuff to yourself and there would be no stage 2 in your world.

It's not a common problem, and if your files are filled with zeros you're probably out of luck.

And, exactly what did serr say to deserve that? As far as I can tell everyone was being very nice up until you said that.

When you got a negative response to that bit of whinging, you then blame others being a bit annoyed for your lashing out at lucas_LCS who isn't a mind reader, and offered useful advice.

When asking for help from people who owe you nothing it wouldn't hurt to be just a little magnanimous, even if you think they could be nicer.

Quote:
yes, peter5992, fakemaxwell and hopi, by all means, stop posting or 'feeding him' as you call it, your thoughts have added no value to this topic whatsoever anyway.
peter started out by telling you who justin is, which does matter if you want the best help available, and how to get large files to him. Useful information. As far as I can tell he didn't have anything to say about you until you insulted serr.

Anyway, if you're expecting a step by step system reliable process to get back data when there is practically no way to know what's really gone wrong, you're probably out of luck.

You might get lucky with something like this:

"Remo Recover can securely and efficiently recover lost / deleted WAV files. This tool supports the recovery of different media files and is compatible with both Windows and Mac."

https://www.remosoftware.com/recover-wav-files

But I doubt it, especially given you're recording to a SSD, and they reorganize data in ways that are invisible to the OS.

There is no guaranteed way to get data back if the OS is pointing to blank space when asked to open the files.

Once you've made an image of the drive (so you can't go further backwards than you already have), it might be worth running a windows scan and fix disk errors to see if that makes a difference.

File systems can be temperamental things, and especially with windows file systems, it can be very hard to recover if the power goes off in the middle of it doing something.

If the real wav data is actually on the disk somewhere the recovery program i mentioned might work, but SSD's don't just leave stuff in one place untouched once writes are made, so it's a crapshoot.

Last edited by drumphil; 07-01-2019 at 03:18 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:53 AM   #33
MusoBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
....(if the zip file is tiny then obviously there's no data, if the zip is big, then there might be a chance!).....
is it big or small when zipped ?
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #34
drumphil

Small when zipped if the file is all zeros.

Any file that only contains one number can be represented as that number times how big is the file.

One million zeros can be encoded as 1,000,000 lots of zero, and that statement that can be reproduced with only that information is a lot more compact that actually storing a million zeros.

edit: Hang on, were you asking the OP?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:28 AM   #35
MusoBob

Yea sorry I posted without reading through all the posts, then I just saw your post asking the OP the same thing. Us Aussies must be the only ones here at the moment.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #36
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
The drive I was using is an external SSD drive connected through the USB of a windows machine.
With external drives power outages are particularly harmful, even more if they were configured for optimum performance by enabling write caching. Data is only written in even bigger intervals then, everything that's still in RAM (or some other cache stage) when the power goes down will be lost.

Here's how you can take a look on the files and recover the intact portions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGfMKhBFxuM

There's certainly no reason for privacy concerns when you send a link to the files to support[at]cockos.com but we can't recover what didn't get flushed onto disk either, so above method is basically all anyone could do.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #37
Voodoo Chile

Thanks drumphil, ollie and musobob for being the voice of reason finally. Those guys edited their posts and serr deleted one of his somehow. Once he did that I also edited my post and removed the reference but apparently someone had already quoted my post for you to see that. If you weren't here at the time it was all going on, it probably isn't going to make sense reading through the posts at this time.

Anyway, thanks for your comprehensive help. I do appreciate it as I am sure others who experience this problem in the future will to. adios amigos!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #38
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
With external drives power outages are particularly harmful, even more if they were configured for optimum performance by enabling write caching. Data is only written in even bigger intervals then, everything that's still in RAM (or some other cache stage) when the power goes down will be lost.
That's a scary feature!
It sounds like there should be a big "Attention Windows users! Critical system settings:" section on like page 2 of the manual or something. There would be absolutely zero way to recover from something like that.

Sorry for the 5 stages of grief quip Voodoo Chile. (I said "He's still in stage 2. Give him time.")

In the spirit of troubleshooting, analytical answers will help.
eg. "I don't have that setting enabled."
You can still tell me to fuck off in between if needed.

Baring a ram cache feature like that running...

16 approx 700MB files.
If that ram cache feature is real and was enabled.
And if the files are truly still zero data and not as a result of a file system index corruption.
That ram cache would have to be set to 12GB or more for all that to add up.

That's something you can verify yes/no.

Otherwise we're back to file system index corruption on the drive.

I'm not up on the nuts and bolts level of the file system writes and precisely what point the drive's index gets updated. Seems reasonable that there would be a worst case scenario for timing where the drive gets powered down when this critical bit for the index is written.
Anyone?

Anyway, if it is index corruption, that means the data could still be there but the file system has corrupted indexes for the actual files. A data dump of the entire drive would let you run recovery software that looks for patterns and finds files.

If the drive had wide open space on it, the files might be sequential and recognizable. Shorter on space leads to fragmentation - which the index needs to keep track of.

Well, that's my olive branch as it were.

Not to be too dismissive of privacy concerns but have you ever tried to even post demos of songs or a demo for your studio work? People usually can't be bothered to even download something like that when you beg. Unless you're Bono... Actually no, that didn't even work for him! Remember the free U2 album in iTunes? But there I go again...

Do a 'dd' on that drive as a hail Mary pass. (I don't do sports. Did I say that right?)

Ex.
dd bs=512 if=/dev/rXX# of=/some_dir/foo.dmg conv=noerror,sync

The bs=512 designates block size, and the if=/dev/rXX# is the UNIX path to the actual disk device. Make sure that the chosen directory (some_dir) has enough room to take the entire disk image -- which will be equal to the size of the drive. Since dd doesn't care about the contents of the drive, it copies every bit on the thing, so you get an image equal to the disk's capacity. The noerror part makes it read over any hardware errors and put in a 00 as a place holder.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #39
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
That's a scary feature!
Write caching isn't an OS brand thing.

https://superuser.com/questions/1130...ce-on-mac-os-x

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-01-2019 at 09:58 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #40
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Write caching isn't an OS brand thing.

https://superuser.com/questions/1130...ce-on-mac-os-x
Another rabbit hole for me!

Does that mean you'd need to enable this intentionally with a 3rd party app or a command line for something as large as a 12GB or more cache? That seems too large to be a default.

What I do know however, is the part about file system index corruption. There can be files on the drive that have no valid index. Like a book with the table of contents ripped out, the pages of the story might still be there.

Last edited by serr; 07-01-2019 at 09:58 AM.