Old 02-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Native Linux Reverbs

I've spent the last couple of days trying out several native Linux VST reverbs, looking for a native Linux replacement for the Soundtoys LittlePlate I used in Windows.

The verbs I tested included the following.

U-he UHBIK-A
KlangFalter convolution verb
Overtone RVB500
Dragonfly
dRowAudio Reverb
Airwindows Non-Linear Space
Martin Eastwood Mverb
Xhip Reverb

For a legit plate reverb sound, I'm finding I like the Overtone RVB500 best of all the verbs I've tested, and plan to buy it soon. Of the non-freebee plugins, it's also about the cheapest at $27 US. It seems to fade away between musical bits better than any of the others, making it sound a lot cleaner while still smudging up the sharp edges of the audio.

My second favorite for plate reverb simulation was the U-he UHBIK-A, but unlike the Overtone RVB500, it can't be purchased by itself which makes the price difference astronomical. I'd buy the UHBIK-A if they sold it by itself but not very likely in a $179 suite of FX, most of which I wouldn't use.

My third favorites were Airwindows Non-Linear Space and Xhip's reverb.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Tobbe

Have you tried these from http://lsp-plug.in

Impulse Responses Mono
Impulse Responses Stereo
Impulse Reverb Mono
Impulse Reverb Stereo

This plugin performs highly optimized real time zero-latency convolution to the input signal. It can be used as a cabinet emulator, some sort of equalizer or as a reverb simulation plugin. All what is needed is audio file with impulse response taken from the linear system (cabinet, equalizer or hall/room).

Rock On!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Have you tried these from http://lsp-plug.in

Impulse Responses Mono
Impulse Responses Stereo
Impulse Reverb Mono
Impulse Reverb Stereo

This plugin performs highly optimized real time zero-latency convolution to the input signal. It can be used as a cabinet emulator, some sort of equalizer or as a reverb simulation plugin. All what is needed is audio file with impulse response taken from the linear system (cabinet, equalizer or hall/room).

Rock On!

Thanks for reminding me of the LSP project. I had grabbed that suite of native Linux FX before, but after re-building my machine from scratch, I never added them back.

The "Impulse Reverb Stereo" appears to be very similar to the KlangFalter convolution I used in my testing (does true stereo mode with four impulses), but I like that it doesn't steal focus away from REAPER like the KlangFalter does. I'll start using it in place of the KlangFalter impulse verb. I have a good selection of impulses to use.

In Windows I used both SoundToys LittlePlate (which is an algo verb like the Overtone RVB500) and convolution reverbs, so the RVB500 will be my replacement for LittlePlate and the LSP verb can be my convolution.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Before Dragonfly, add a mid cut. I use the super-lightweight-CPU plugin "3-Band EQ" from here. It's more "airy" that way. Then if you want to make the high frequencies smoother, Airwindows Lowpass is nice.

Of course to do this, without affecting the dry signal, you'll want the reverb plus EQs on a separate bus.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Before Dragonfly, add a mid cut. I use the super-lightweight-CPU plugin "3-Band EQ" from here. It's more "airy" that way. Then if you want to make the high frequencies smoother, Airwindows Lowpass is nice.

Of course to do this, without affecting the dry signal, you'll want the reverb plus EQs on a separate bus.
What I really liked in my testing about the Overtone RVB500 was that while it is fairly bright, it has a mid presence that lingers the longest yet fades away quick enough that there is no wash.

Even soloing the effect doesn't sound like a pure blur. In fact, when I soloed the effect, I instantly flashed back to a time when I was coming back into the control room of a 24 track 2" place I used to record, and the engineer had the real plate reverb soloed. What I heard in my testing was very similar to that same sound.

I actually didn't decide that I liked the RVB500 the best for a plate simulation until the second day with fresh ears, which was when I started to notice how much cleaner that verb sounded due to it's fairly quick decay of everything but the mids.

The UHBIK-A has independent controls for how long highs hold and how long lows hold, but even using those controls I was never able to get the openness that was easily attainable with the RVB500.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Glennbo

So I decided to go the next level and booted up Windows to record and render a quick drum sample using SoundToys LittlePlate, then load the project into Linux and play the same dry material through OverTone's RVB500 to see how close these two versions of a plate compared.

They were pretty damn close to sounding like each other.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13841780

The first section is played through SoundToys LittlePlate, the second section is the same dry drums played through OverTone's RVB500. I have the verb cranked more than I would normally have it so it is easier to hear. The tone and shape of the two plate simulations are really similar to each other IMHO. I loved LittlePlate the moment I got it and it was always my go to master bus reverb. After doing this last test, I'm definitely buying the OverTone RVB500 so I will have a native Linux verb that is comparable to SoundToys LittlePlate.

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-14-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
Glennbo

Bought it!

I'm loving the low CPU hit with nice plate sound and that it is native Linux plugin. Worth the $26 price for me anyway. I was really missing SoundToys LittlePlate and OverTone RVB500 fills that void quite nicely.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
Mcgiver69

I know we are talking about native Linux Reverbs but I still haven't found one that I really like so I continue to use Reaverb with the Lexicon Impulse responses (Below)

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/5...e-library-free

And if I don't want to use convolution reverbs then my go to is Orilriver, it's lighter than any Soundtoys plugin and best of all it is completely free and works great with LinVst.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov

Try them both you won't regret it.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
That's a cool trick. I used to do a similar thing before there were digital reverbs and I had a spring reverb. I'd scoop out the frequencies that made it twang.

Quote:
You know, I haven't put a reverb on a bus since the days when I had to in order to conserve CPU resources. These days, I'll do crazy stuff like slap five reverbs on the drums, each one tweaked to get the optimum sound for the particular drum. That's one of the things I'll likely be using the OverTone plate reverb on.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
I know we are talking about native Linux Reverbs but I still haven't found one that I really like so I continue to use Reaverb with the Lexicon Impulse responses (Below)

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/5...e-library-free

And if I don't want to use convolution reverbs then my go to is Orilriver, it's lighter than any Soundtoys plugin and best of all it is completely free and works great with LinVst.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov

Try them both you won't regret it.

Thanks for the links. I do also use convolution reverbs along with algo based ones, so I grabbed the impulses you linked to. Are you able to do "True Stereo" using ReaVerb? I was using KlangFalter, but will probably start using the convo verb from the LSP, which seems to not steal focus away from REAPER's transport like KlangFalter does. The True Stereo convolution verbs sure sound bigger than life though, the first time I figured out how to load up and assign four impulses, I was like WOW!!!

I also use the super lightweight Lexicon Pantheon reverb that I got with some version of Cakewalk many moons ago. The Pantheon is an algo reverb, but does a spectacular job at simulating rooms. Pantheon is also a Windows plugin though, and that's what I'm trying more and more to get away from.

As for the CPU hit from SoundToys LittlePlate, that one was a pretty hungry plugin, but the OverTone RVB500 plate is much less of a CPU hog. I was able to confirm that last night when I was testing between the two. The OverTone plug is one I will likely use multiple instances of on things like drums, where the SoundToys plate was never on anything but my master bus.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks for the links. I do also use convolution reverbs along with algo based ones, so I grabbed the impulses you linked to. Are you able to do "True Stereo" using ReaVerb? I was using KlangFalter, but will probably start using the convo verb from the LSP, which seems to not steal focus away from REAPER's transport like KlangFalter does. The True Stereo convolution verbs sure sound bigger than life though, the first time I figured out how to load up and assign four impulses, I was like WOW!!!

I also use the super lightweight Lexicon Pantheon reverb that I got with some version of Cakewalk many moons ago. The Pantheon is an algo reverb, but does a spectacular job at simulating rooms. Pantheon is also a Windows plugin though, and that's what I'm trying more and more to get away from.

As for the CPU hit from SoundToys LittlePlate, that one was a pretty hungry plugin, but the OverTone RVB500 plate is much less of a CPU hog. I was able to confirm that last night when I was testing between the two. The OverTone plug is one I will likely use multiple instances of on things like drums, where the SoundToys plate was never on anything but my master bus.
I don't know much about stereo reverbs as I don't like big reverbs in one go. I like to add reverb in small doses as it's more controllable.

As for LittlePlate, it is true it sounds great but damn that thing consumes memory. I'm very happy since I discover OrilRiver which I can use multiple instances without memory issues, sounds great and provides lots of options.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
I don't know much about stereo reverbs as I don't like big reverbs in one go. I like to add reverb in small doses as it's more controllable.
I'm the same on individual tracks, but I like to "glue" all the tracks into a common shared space on the master bus. Like putting the whole band into the same room or on the same concert stage.

True stereo convolution reverbs use four impules to more accurately render the space. Essentially you send the left channel through both a left and right channel impulse, and then do the same for the right channel. Here's a flowchart that was posted in another thread that shows the different pathways stereo and "true stereo" go down.

Quote:
As for LittlePlate, it is true it sounds great but damn that thing consumes memory. I'm very happy since I discover OrilRiver which I can use multiple instances without memory issues, sounds great and provides lots of options.
I'm not using LittlePlate in Linux so the resource hit it has is a thing of the past for me, but the new OverTone plate reverb I just bought for $26 sounds very similar and uses very little resources.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
Glennbo

Yet another cool thing about OverTone's plugins I just realized. The Raspberry Pi versions of them work too, so now I have REAPER running on my Pi and to augment the native "Rea" plugins, I added the plate reverb I just bought, plus the "Vintage Bundle" that I bought a month ago which has two Pultec EQs and a Fairchild 670 compressor.

I'm gonna hafta buy an audio interface for the Pi now, although using JACK on the native audio hardware can play multi-track projects with lots of FX. Just not at low latency.