Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Stews
Human being with feelings

Default Wireless USB MIDI?

Has anyone used a device that allows a USB MIDI keyboard to be plugged in wirelessly?

I.e. plug a dongle in to the keyboard and one in to the PC rather than have a wire trailing across the room?

I'll have time to Google for one later but often forums can be better if anyone responding has actually used one they can recommend.

Cheers.
Stews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

i've been trying a few for guitar pedalboards. The Yamaha BT01 plus a CME WIDIBud works really well
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
serr

Icron WiRanger USB hub.

pro:
perfectly reliable going on 8 years
works up to 300'

con:
cost $200
you need to buy or make your own battery supply for the roaming end if you need that
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

If you have a second computer, another solution might be to use CopperLAN. CopperLAN converts system-wide MIDI messages from legacy MIDI devices or USB MIDI devices into IP packages and sends them across a LAN using cabeled or wireless ethernet connections. You wouldn't need a dedicated USB-to-WIFI system in this case but rather use a cost-free ethernet connection. However, provider of CopperLAN states in its forum that it's not recommended to use wireless connections due to their higher latency. I imagine that latency may also be an issue when using USB-to-WIFI connections. On cabeled LAN connections, Copperlan offers zero-latency for MIDI and renders every MIDI device available to any other MIDI client throughout the entire network.

In my case, I only have a single MIDI keyboard which is connected to my main desktop computer via USB. I also have a laptop on which some VSTi's are installed that are not present on the main computer. Thanks to CopperLAN running on both computers, I'm able to play these VSTi's remotely on the laptop from the keyboard which is physically attached to the main computer. I'm also using CopperLAN to easily MTC-timecode-sync multiple computers and other MIDI devices via ethernet.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
mschnell

Working on WiFi which might provide reliably issues, but allows for a wide distance and for using the built-in hardware on the PC site: -> https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

-Michael (did not test it)
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
dragonslair

CME UF60
It's an older keyboard, but it has built in wireless midi, here are the specs.

61-key semi-weighted action keyboard with aftertouch
Built-in duplex wireless MIDI interface with error correction function
U-CTRL mode switch - when triggered, causes the knobs and faders on the keyboard to comply with the MCU (Mackie Universal Control) protocol, for controlling DAW transports, or edit virtual instruments
Includes all the standard MIDI controller functions (all can be re-assigned) and includes rotary controls, faders and transport controls
Over twenty user templates, with non-volatile memory
Features a Breath Controller input, in addition to pedal controller inputs
Can work directly with a computer via USB, in which case, the keyboard will draw power from the USB bus

WIDI-XU Wireless MIDI Interface
USB class compliant wireless MIDI interface with a working band of 2.4GHz
Duplex wireless MIDI data transfer
Maximum wireless transfer distance, with clear line of sight, is 262 feet (80 meters)
Sixty-four radio channels for MIDI data transfer, with manual or automatic radio channel setting mode.
dragonslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslair View Post
CME UF60 It's an older keyboard, but it has built in wireless midi, here are the specs.
There is no "standard" Wireless Midi specification but the rather new one Windows 10 defines - and which offers a set of problems, as there is no "official" driver hooking a standard Windows Midi device to same - and there is no compatible Apple equivalent AFAIK).

Hence the CME UF60 wireless midi seems to be perfectly propriety and you need a dedicated receiver device for it.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
Has anyone used a device that allows a USB MIDI keyboard to be plugged in wirelessly?
i bought an old thinkpad x131e, modified the bios to whitelist a 3rd party 5g wifi card, removed basically everything but the mobo and battery and used that with a dedicated offline wifi network. worked great, but still bulky

saw a guy on the reaper forums use a raspberry pi and a usb charging brick, will have to try that some day
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote