Old 08-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
jesus4c
Human being with feelings

Default One sub project for many projects?

I'm trying hard to get my head around sub projects, but I'm a little confused with something I want to do.

I'm editing a podcast series and I want to put the same end credits in each episode - and I'm guessing sub projects is the best way to do this. This same sub project will be used in each episode (and each episode is its own project).

I've created the sub project, and at this stage, it's simply been saved as another project.

The end credits are likely to change a few times before the series is made public, so I'd like any changes to the sub project to update each episode that it's in.

Is this possible? Am I understanding sub projects correctly?
jesus4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
mschnell

I understand that this is one of the ways, subprojects can be very decently used.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
mccrabney

subprojects confused me when it came to directories. when i started using subprojects, i expected that project A in directory A could reference project B in directory B, and reflect changes made on project B inside project A. but it doesn't seem to work like that -- instead, it makes a local copy of B within directory A.

i don't think you can avoid making that local copy when working with REAPER's subprojects -- but i might be wrong.

here's my process: i find the source project of Song X and insert it into the master project as an item.

a new project for Song X is created in the master project's directory. from here on out, this is your subproject. this confused me at first. i didn't expect a new file to be created in the local directory, but it is, and subsequent changes to Song X's source project won't affect your new Song X subproject.

this new project also renders itself into the master project's directory, as another file titled "Song X.rpp-PROX"

now, back in the master track, if you want to make a change to your subproject, open it as a tab by right clicking/open in editor.

so, i think what you're describing will still work as long as your master project is referencing the right rpp-PROX for your credits. but i'm not quite sure.

failing that, you could just render a wav and have your multiple radio show projects reference that one wav.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
instead, it makes a local copy of B within directory A.
At what point in time ?

A local copy of which files ? Project file ? Media files ? ... ?

-Michael
Old 08-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
At what point in time ?

A local copy of which files ? Project file ? Media files ? ... ?

-Michael
a local copy of the source .rpp that you inserted into the master track is created in the master track's directory at the "moment of insertion." so, in reality, you're not inserting project B into project A, you're inserting a COPY of project B into project A.

no media files, thankfully.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
mschnell

Thanks for the information. In fact I think that it's rather weired that the sub-project rpp file can't be located anywhere

-Michael
Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
jesus4c

Thanks for the info. I'm still confused, but I think my best bet will be experimenting. I'll play around with what you've suggested, mccrabney.

I've read the instruction manual and looked at all the videos I can find, but they all seem to be doing much the same thing - something like turning all of the master project's drum tracks into a sub project - to be used within that same master project.With the main goal being to save space within the master project.

Whereas I'm trying to have the same sub project used in 10 different master projects. I'm hoping to be able to change that one sub project and have all of my master projects updated automatically - without me having to into each and every master project.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 PM   #8
jesus4c

Quote:
i expected that project A in directory A could reference project B in directory B, and reflect changes made on project B inside project A. but it doesn't seem to work like that -- instead, it makes a local copy of B within directory A.

a new project for Song X is created in the master project's directory. from here on out, this is your subproject. this confused me at first. i didn't expect a new file to be created in the local directory, but it is, and subsequent changes to Song X's source project won't affect your new Song X subproject.

failing that, you could just render a wav and have your multiple radio show projects reference that one wav.

Well, after an afternoon of experimenting, I don't think I'm any closer to the solution.

I see what you mean, mccrabney, about Reaper making a local copy of B within directory A. Which seems to mean that if I have 10 episodes, I end up with a local copy of B in each of my 10 episode directories - with each one needing to be edited individually.

Seems to me, that if I wanted to alter those credits and have the change reflected in each episode, my options are:

1. Change the credits in each of the local copies of the sub-project.

2.Change the credits in my master sub-project, save, and then go to each of my episodes, and replace the old .rrp item with the new one.

3. Render a wav, as suggested. But that means if I had to make changes, it's still a complicated process and negates the advantages of having a sub-project.

Be nice if each project could reference that one master sub-project.

I've got a headache.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
mschnell

IMHO this really does not make sense.

Maybe post a bug report ...

-Michael
Old 09-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO this really does not make sense.

Maybe post a bug report ...

-Michael
With my lack of experience with Reaper, I'm not sure if this is a bug, or should be a feature request, or I simply don't understand how to do this correctly.

I'd have to think this would be a frequent requirement - especially for those doing podcasts or commercials. Or anything that requires the same piece of audio in multiple projects.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #11
mschnell

At least it obviously is a serous shortcoming and does not seem to fulfill any decent purpose.

-Michael
Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #12
mccrabney

yeah it seems that sub projects should [optionally] work both ways - either A: make and reference a local copy (good for when you want to protect the original, like in my case), or B: reference and edit the original, like you want to do with the credits.

again, your could just render a wav of your credits and have each episode reference that wav. then, if you make any changes to your credits, rerender then and they'll update in all projects.

Last edited by mccrabney; 09-02-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
jesus4c

Quote:
yeah it seems that sub projects should [optionally] work both ways - either A: make and reference a local copy (good for when you want to protect the original, like in my case), or B: reference and edit the original, like you want to do with the credits.

again, your could just render a wav of your credits and have each episode reference that wav. then, if you make any changes to your credits, rerender then and they'll update in all projects.
I've just tried your render a wav suggestion, but it doesn't seem to be doing as you've described.

I now have the credits as their own project. I rendered it out as a wav and inserted it into one of my episode projects - and everything worked as expected.

I saved both projects and exited Reaper (just to get a fresh start), re-opened Reaper and the credits project, muted the voice and rendered and replaced the old wav file in its project directory.

I opened that wav file in another player to check that the voice was missing (and it was).

I then opened my episode project. But the credits still retained the original credits wav with the voice - exactly as saved earlier. The wav file had not been updated.

Have I done anything wrong?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
mccrabney

yeah, your non-credits project is referencing a copy of the wav you rendered, likely due to having "move / copy media to project directory" checked in your save dialog. you could hit f2 on the erroneous credits to see where it's being saved on your computer, and it'll show you that it's not the one you rendered -- rather, a copy.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
jesus4c

Quote:
yeah, your non-credits project is referencing a copy of the wav you rendered, likely due to having "move / copy media to project directory" checked in your save dialog. you could hit f2 on the erroneous credits to see where it's being saved on your computer, and it'll show you that it's not the one you rendered -- rather, a copy.
AND you're perfectly correct! I DO have that option selected! I'm at work ATM, so can't investigate further, but that could be a problem because I DO want all my other media copied into that episode project's directory.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #16
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus4c View Post
AND you're perfectly correct! I DO have that option selected! I'm at work ATM, so can't investigate further, but that could be a problem because I DO want all my other media copied into that episode project's directory.
i get you. this might mean you'll have to turn that option off, add the credits, and then save normally, as the last thing you do when completing a show...i agree that a nonlocal subproject would be much better.

tldr, need to have both local and nonlocal subprojects in order to get the best of both worlds.