Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
serr
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone else using this as a live mixer?

What are your experiences so far?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
DVDdoug

Live with an audience? I get paranoid about using computers for live performance. Do you have a back-up computer or a back-up mixer?

Here is what I wrote before. (Please read the full discussion, because that's just my opinion an some people don't share my paranoia. )

I'm not quite so paranoid if you're just mixing a few inputs, but if I was mixing a whole band I'd want a good 'ol reliable hardware mixer with easy access to all of the controls, and controls that don't get accidentally re-assigned...

As I mentioned in the other post I'm not a musician, but I occasionally DJ (and I used to work for a sound company). I bring enough back-up and redundant equipment to my DJ gigs so that if any piece of equipment dies I'm not shut-down. Uh-Oh... I only have one mic... Dynamic mics usually last forever, but I'd better get a back-up!
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
serr

Yes, live with a full band. 20 inputs. I'm liking this a lot and I don't plan on looking back.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
JonnyGinese

I could see how a small touring band would wan to do this...

Save all there settings that they like..

Monitor Mixes, General Mix for each song with SWS snapshots.

I guess you would just need to make sure you don't get any artifacts at a buffer of 128 or 64 with all those plugins on.

I'm trying to get a small case for my DIGI002r to try this for FX sends only.. I'll let you know how it sounds after i get it going.
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
hopi

serr.... can you tell us in detail about the computer and other parts of the set up you are using for your live work?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
Analogy

None of the PC-based live mixing applications have the right interface/workflow for live situations IMO. Just not fast enough for the "oh shit" moments, i.e. "oh shit that mic's too hot, gotta turn it down," or "oh shit something's feeding back, gotta mute it."

I'll feel confident about PC-based mixing when I can drive the app almost entirely with the keyboard. Mouse should only be reserved for moving faders and knobs, and even then I should be able to select the faders and knobs with the keyboard rather than having to reach for it with my mouse.
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote