Old 06-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
cemark
Human being with feelings

Default CSI: documentation?

Hi there,

I'm reading up on CSI with great interest. I'm impressed with the amount of work that has gotten into this project.

My question is about documentation: Let's say I'm looking at buying a particular surface. Is there any documentation I can look up regarding

* what exist (.mst, .zon etc)?
* what has been tested (what works and what does not)?
* particular settings (in both Reaper and the surface)?
* user experiences and personal mappings etc?
* other (tips and tricks regarding the particular surface)?

In the land of Utopia, all CSI users would contribute to such documentation, that of course will be indexed in a user-friendly database :-)

Thanks for reading
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
Hi there,

I'm reading up on CSI with great interest. I'm impressed with the amount of work that has gotten into this project.

My question is about documentation: Let's say I'm looking at buying a particular surface. Is there any documentation I can look up regarding

* what exist (.mst, .zon etc)?
The list of included .mst and .zon files will expand dramatically very soon. I think this will be less of an issue in the future. But at the same time, maybe adding a section to the wiki that links to various .mst and .zon files in the meantime isn't a bad idea.

If people want to post the links to their .mst and .zon files here, or PM them to me, I'll try to get a page on the Wiki to post those links. Note: I'm trying to spend less time at the computer these days due to my wrists, so no promises it'll be fast.

Quote:
* what has been tested (what works and what does not)?
If the hardware is MIDI. It works. MCU? Works. OSC. You can set it up to Work. Eucon. Mostly works minus some proprietary stuff. I think people new to CSI get too hung up on "will my unit work with it" because the reality is: very few don't.

Just avoid the FaderPort Classic, because the fader won't work. Avoid any HUI only surfaces or HUI modes. Everything else can be configured to work with CSI. Even if it means it's up to you to do that.

Quote:
* particular settings (in both Reaper and the surface)?
* user experiences and personal mappings etc?
* other (tips and tricks regarding the particular surface)?
All three of these are up to whoever creates the surface .mst and .zon files. What settings were used on the device? Are there sysex files or anything that are needed for the mapping? Do they have image files that show their mapping. I think I've included instructions in everything I've posted, but there's so much customization possible and so many surface have different modes of operation that I agree some more documentation could be helpful as a best practice. That said, once you learn how to read a .zon file and get into the customization it becomes much easier though.

Also, the goal is for the CSI Edit window to get more updated too so people can do more editing of the .zon and .mst files without having to learn the syntax from scratch and edit text files. A lot of little usability enhancements are in the cards.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Funkybot

MIDI Fighter Twister Files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfikysmeco...0v1-5.zip?dl=0

X-Touch One
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21f9z72djk...evice.zip?dl=0

The other two I've created already come with the CSI distributions.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
cemark

Thanks for rapid replies!

I have a Faderport v2 arriving next week. I will work with CSI to set it up exactly the way I want (which I have yet to figure out).

I would be happy to report back and share any progress and files.

I will also donate to the project.
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
If people want to post the links to their .mst and .zon files here, or PM them to me, I'll try to get a page on the Wiki to post those links. .
That is GREAT,

But in the end the only viable way to distribute such stuff is ReaPack.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote