Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Alistair S
Human being with feelings

Default SE Electronics Reflexion Filter

Has anyone tried one of these? If so, what did you think?

http://www.soundgenerator.com/burner...?reviewid=1222
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
olzzon

We have a couple at work, and i did some testing in a good speaker box, and in a lively room.

If you have a good sounding or dead room i´d stay away from them. They do filter some stuff out, but they also introduce new phase problems.
This is ofcause based on my opinion, you should try it in your own room to see whether it does it for you or not.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Conundrum

Also used at work, for a small bedroom studio, they can be great, or as we use them for iso from other musicians in certain instances, they work well. As stated above, in a good sounding room, not necessary.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
chip mcdonald

What exactly makes it any different than making some sort of similar baffle out of 703?

Wouldn't it be cheaper, and maybe more effective, to just to make a little "mini-iso booth" to surround your head out of 703...?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
scottdru

The 703 (or 705, which I think would be better) option would be much better, I think, because it won't reflect much if anything back at the mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon View Post
They do filter some stuff out, but they also introduce new phase problems.
Ethan Winer actually did a comparison test between the SE Reflexion Filter and the RealTraps PVB, and found exactly that.

http://www.realtraps.com/video_pvb-old.wmv

There's also an interesting DIY design here:

http://digitalprosound.digitalmedian...e.jsp?id=89503
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Alistair S

Thanks guys.

I am not convinced it is a good solution for me as yet. Sure, it would help with tracking in my untreated room, but it would do nothing for monitoring of course.

I might try the home-made option sometime though. It sounds like a nice idea.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
scottdru

Yeah . . . I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that these small devices are some kind of complete solution. They are not. They are designed for a specific purpose, and that is to allow people to get some decent recorded vocal sounds in rooms that don't have any acoustics treatment (for various reasons), and for portable use when it is not convenient to drag along a whole set of proper acoustics panels.

These devices cannot offer any significant isolation in the low frequencies, because the laws of diffraction make it that a physical impossibility. When you are dealing with large soundwaves, the sound will actually diffract around the sides/edges of these devices, and/or it will be reflected off room boundaries to the sides, behind and above the vocalist and into the pickup pattern of the microphone.

One technique I've used that works is to hang up some heavy blankets (furniture pads/movers' blankets are great for this) in a V-shape or a semicircle *behind* the vocalist, and face the vocalist out into the room away from the blankets, so that the null of the mic is pointing into the room. (Of course you'll do even better surrounding the vocalist.) I think this is really more effective in many ways than a small acoustic absorption device that sits behind the mic (and usually faces back toward the null of the mic unless you are using an omnidirectional or figure of 8 mic!).

The way these small devices work is that they help prevent some of the sound energy from the vocalist from getting out into the room and reflecting back. But when you are dealing with a small device, you will still get some high and mid frequency sound projecting beyond (around, above and below) these devices, and also there is a fair amount of lower frequency sound energy that projects omnidirectionally from the chest of the vocalist. Even with the RealTraps PVB, which is more effective than the SE Reflexion Filter, you can hear a certain amount of room sound in that test, since the room is a live, untreated room. Some of it is probably reflections off the ceiling, but it's probably also reflections from the other walls in the room. They are certainly a whole lot better than using nothing at all, but none of these devices is a complete solution, particularly in an untreated room. Hehe . . . if nothing else, think about how many vocalists and horn players move around when they are singing or playing. A small device like the SE Reflexion Filter is going to be less helpful in those situations than a larger device or full sized absorption panels.

There really is no replacement for getting decent coverage throughout your room with proper, balanced acoustics treatment (the best, most cost-effective method for this is to use broadband absorption panels based on OC 703 or 705, or the rockwool equivalents).
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote