Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
multibody
Human being with feelings

Default ARA-Tempo-Mapping with the Beatles

Hi,

I am trying to import the tempomap from a variable-speed audio file from melodyne to reaper. But I do not get a good fit between the reaper-metronome and the audio-file. I am not sure wether this should be possible in reaper already - maybe I do something wrong.

Since I am not experienced with tempo-things in reaper I thougt it might make sense to post an example that everyone can try. I chose a song of the famous live performance of the beatles in the ed sullivan show that has quite some tempo-variation. It is available on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenWdylTtzs

It can be downloaded as mp3 here:

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/de/mp3-converter

I chose "Time" as Timebase for items/envelopes markers in Project settings. Then I drop the audio file to an arbitrary position on a track and let melodyne analyze it in polyphone mode.

The metronome in melodyne perfectly matches the audio. It can be activated on the top right in the melodyne tempo-editor. Melodyne has to be started by double click on the melodyne-ruler to make the click audible.

When I chose the reaper option "ARA: Import into project: Tempo" a tempomap that looks suitable is created in reaper. But the click does not match the audio.

The Studio One / ARA - videos on youtube indicate, that no manual offset etc. should be necessary when tempo is imported via ARA.

Am I doing something wrong or is this not fully implemented in reaper at the moment?

I use reaper597pre2 and melodyne4.2.1

Thanks!
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

When I do this, the imported tempo matches reasonably well. I turned REAPER secondary beat gain to -inf so it only clicked once per bar. If the audio is positioned at the start of the project, the downbeat click is on the 2 of every bar in the performance. The click tends to be slightly in front of the beat, and Melodyne does lose the beat once, but it does even out, and the click is still on the 2 at the end of the performance.

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
multibody

Hi schwa,
thank you very much for looking into this. Interestingly, on my computer melodyne does not lose the beat (see attached picture). I still have the feeling that the melodyne beat matches far better - I will investigate this further. I will have to to this the next days since I am short on time now.

Is it possible from the ARA-Information to move the item automatically in a way that the first beat of the audio matches a first beat on the reaper-grid? What would be the best approach to do this manually?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
multibody

I am still experimenting - quite complex topic.

So far it seems to help to:
- cut the audio file to let it start exactly at the first beat
- glue the audio file
- align the audio file in reaper to let it start at a first beat
- then insert melodyne and import tempomap

Nevertheless the first beat in melodyne is usually not 100% at the same position that I manually found before. This causes a small, unnecessary offset.

It might be very useful to have a function that lets you align the audio file and the tempomap in a way that the first detected beat 1 in melodyne positioned on a selectable bar in reaper.

Is the offset between Audio-file-start and the first detected beat by melodyne accessable via ARA?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
multibody

From further testing with the instructions from http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc-2/...gen?env=reaper the tempo mapping function seem to work remarkably well. I cannot reproduce my previous problems at the moment.

As mentioned before it would be great to get the offset between the audio file´s start and the first detected beat of melodyne. Here is a sketch with the offset as an arrow:

Knowledge of that offset would allow aligning the files on the reaper grid accurately and fast. No matter wether the tempo map is imported into reaper or melodyne is used to stretch the audio file to project tempo.

I sent the question to melodyne support. Maybe this offset is already available somewhere...
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

You can move that line in Melodyne, I believe.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote