Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 05-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #321
scottc
Human being with feelings

Wow thank you for sharing. Your level of talent is nothing short of amazing! I think I'm gonna need a larger monitor for this one
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #322
Jimmy James

As is, this theme is one of the best of all time. It would be cool to have a finished. But, he has kicked so much butt and worked so hard, I won't complain if he never releases any more of this.

Heck, his transport is the most used ever. And I bet some other stuff as well.

My theory though, reaper and white the have teamed up to release a white the official theme for Reaper 6.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #323
Herr Nox

I signed up to the board first and foremost to say that I need that V5 and that I would pay for it. I have all sorts of tingly feelings when I look at those previews.
Herr Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #324
daexpert
Banned

Default Props!

Quite simply, this is the best mixer design from an aesthetic, functional, and visual standpoint I have ever seen, real or virtual. Got rice(b)? Props White tie, Brainwreck, and Lawrence, and the rest of the cock(OS) Team for abolishing those nasty protools, cubase, and live boxes from the local guitar center.. Reaper kills em all.. But tomorrow!! Looop.
daexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:35 AM   #325
XITE-1/4LIVE

What I Like is how the conventional Mixer, as in the hardware world, is perfectly created, then taken to the virtual world.
Truly phenomenal work.

Cant wait to see this.
Id pay a Benjamin for this.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #326
rluka

What I would like to see is everything in the TCP area (except the transport panel) set to the standard REAPER 5 theme that comes with any recent REAPER version. The MCP is amazing and left just the way it is now. Only requesting this in case White Tie is done with this theme.
If work is still being done by White Tie then I will be waiting patiently until it is finished.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #327
Greedy

I think White Tie will finish Imperial v5 as soon as he's done writing The Winds of Winter

Take your time WT, but hurry up!
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #328
SmajjL

Extra curious how R6 will look like, maby he is wrestling that, thing atm.
Hope he will continue surprise us with this stuff in the future without regret.

SmajjL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #329
Pashkuli
Banned

wrong thread... sorry!

Last edited by Pashkuli; 08-14-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #330
Xaos

Wow. Gorgeous. When I saw the first post dated 2016, I thought I'd missed this version on WT's site, but no, it's still in development. This is utterly amazing. Talk about the ultimate theme ever. It looked pretty far along to me two years ago. I know work of this kind takes a really, really long time to do right, but is there an ETA on this?

People, donate to WT! I haven't been able to work for years, so I can barely afford shampoo, but WT should set up a Patreon so those who can afford to help fund this work can do so. He should be making 6 figures designing interfaces. If we could all cip in so this is all he has to focus on doing, we'd be downloading it already instead of lusting.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #331
Studio Saturn

I loved this theme. People like you make me love REAPER even more. Thank you so much!
Studio Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #332
bluesking17

My dreams have come true.....Thanks so much!!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #333
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Here's what I've been working on for the better part of a year. Its very far from done, 6 months to go would be my guess. I'm sharing it because I think its very good and the world is full of good things and on some days its good to remember that. I also want to get the WALTER out because I believe some of it could be extremely useful to other themers.

On that subject : please feel free to raid the WALTER and use whatever bits of code you might find useful (suggestion: the imageshift macros are very simple but do wonderful things). However, I must insist that you do not use any of the images or make mods of the theme or anything like that yet, let me finish first. I'm including an awful lot of code and alternative images to make modding easy and powerful, in good time.

Its just the mixer so far, that's where I started. Because, well, its Imperial.

The build I am sharing is the latest one that is currently in use by my testers. Its moderately usable. I'm not necessarily looking for feedback at the moment, I've got plenty of testers who I trust implicitly, but if you're curious then please feel free to take a look. Here's the theme file; DON'T MAKE ME REGRET SHARING IT m'kay?

Its Imperial, it looks like Imperial. But more so. The ethos remains as it was; to take a lot of space and use it to show everything at once, with generous sizing and margins to make control searching and mouse-hit easy. The old Imperial scored extremely high in function and usability testing, my hope and expectation is this will perhaps surpass it.

Imperial didn't resize because I designed it to be used full screen. Which people didn't necessarily want to do. So now its got full WALTER on every layout, so the sizes degrade elegantly:

I have made extensive use of the new custom colouring method we got in V5:

And, of course, the 'None More Black' layout is back:

...which showcases what can be done with custom colouring. I'll be doing more of this in time, and different patterns.

This layout can also be used to commit crimes against humanity:

The flat styled 'Stockholm' layout is ideal for your synth tracks:

it also has custom colouring tricks, and some pan control implementations that you might like:

Imperial was designed for big screens, and preferably two of them. But people wanted to use it on small screens. Okay, fine Here's the 'project' layout, which has full shrinking WALTER, folder indenting, and a selection of fader colours. And a None More Black variant, of course.

Speaking of small size, I've completely redesigned the Sidecar layout. It features my new iris-style stacked pan/width knobs:

It custom colours nicely, and has a sophisticated folder indentation / signal flow design that I think works well:

here's what all that stuff means:

I've based the redesigned Tracking Deck layout on the Sidecar:

and finally there are strip layouts. These have 'USER : mess with these:' sections in the WALTER so users can easily whip up variants:

Please enjoy. I might do another snapshot build once its further along, we'll see.
I don't usually chime in on these threads but I feel compelled to tell you that I am truly blown away by your work on this. It's absolutely "art" in every sense, and I look forward to seeing a completed theme that I can happily import and use every day in my studio. Thanks for your efforts!
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #334
Xaos

I have a theory on why this theme is still in progress. It's kind of out there, but there may be something to it.

I think that WT is waiting until v6 to release it, and it may be the semi-official face of REAPER. Why do I think this? Well, other than the huge amount of time since we've heard anything from WT about it and it looking like it was already really close to being done 2 years ago, I can't see how he can get the image of the back side of the pan knobs to rotate with the current theming options. Granted, I'm very new to theming, but AFAICT, there is nowhere to set a parameter that actually turns the knob. The only customizable option for pan knobs is the color and transparency of the indicator line. I don't even know how he get them to show up on just the outside of the button, If the line length and position can be modified to look like what is in the photos he uploaded, I haven't found where that can be set, let alone how to make the opposite side of where the setting indicator line is move. If I'm mistaken, I'd love for someone to point me to the info that tells how to make that happen.

I think he's working with Cockos to add the functionality needed to make that theme work the way it appears to work in the images he posted.

Either that, or this is just a cruel joke being played on those of us to whom the look of our software is almost as important as the sound.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #335
SmajjL

I think he is just showcasing what can be done that, year, if more cool features and ways appear, he will have fun with that and show other stuff I believe.. it's White Tie.. Elo!
Seen him Cry in Public when people actually utilize what he has tried to demonstrate/teach.

You can always borrow any graphics and drag it into your own theme project though for example, I tried the White fader from here and put on the Default x2 HiDPI theme, I like it! and required no WALTER skills wich I am no champion at..

Always give credit if you upload your theme based on other's stuff though, usually you are allowed unless the themer have asked not to for what ever reason.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #336
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Always give credit if you upload your theme based on other's stuff though, usually you are allowed unless the themer have asked not to for what ever reason.
White Tie has not allowed this until the theme has been released:
Quote:
please feel free to raid the WALTER and use whatever bits of code you might find useful (suggestion: the imageshift macros are very simple but do wonderful things). However, I must insist that you do not use any of the images or make mods of the theme or anything like that yet, let me finish first.
He also stated his reason for posting the work-in-progress:
Quote:
I also want to get the WALTER out because I believe some of it could be extremely useful to other themers.
WALTER = 'code'

summary:
you can use parts of the code (or WALTER) and share your theme.
You cannot use the images and share your theme.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #337
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
I can't see how he can get the image of the back side of the pan knobs to rotate with the current theming options. Granted, I'm very new to theming, but AFAICT, there is nowhere to set a parameter that actually turns the knob.
It's called a knob stack.
They have been available since Reaper v4 and many themes use these.
The Sidecar layout has a compound knob stack with the Width knob sitting underneath the Pan knob.
The Width knob has an expanding circle in the center that expands or compresses as you turn the knob.
A similar method is used in the Stockholm layouts.

You can learn a lot simply by looking a theme's image files.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 10-06-2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: corrected Width knob layer level
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #338
SmajjL

Yeah well, if you Absolutelly feel the need to share your frankenstein, then one way would just to ask, I can tell you right now that I.. would not have a problem personally if it is just at least mentioned and, if it stayed with-in the REAPER universe especially, then yeah, pretty much that simple.

If all my stuff went outside of this place and someone made a whole DAW out of it, elo! excuse me!!!!
I feel also that just talking about this could be taken as a guilt trip thing, my take is if someone used his stuff agains his wish, where should his motivation come from in the furure, he specifically asked not to.

Anyway, I am cool and feel inspired when I first saw it, little, ah-haha's, cool!

Ps disclaimer or what ever: Don't know White Tie, but I am interested in graphics and not all get the work behind it, but they will! (please)

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-05-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Furure? think i'll just leave it :D
Old 10-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #339
rncwalker

I really like this theme, and I looked into the code as to how some of the things are done. Now I completely understand why It's not completed yet!

Anyone that has changed existing themes would find this to be very difficult to understand. I do not expect WT to devote all his time on this for Free and I'm sure that he has other things to do as well.

Eventually it will be finished.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #340
SmajjL

Alpha Centauri maby is a good name for what ever is up next.
The old ways of WALTER still works though, maby find some theme in the stash that is simple(R) and more static, less text, I dunno.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #341
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
White Tie

summary:
you can use parts of the code (or WALTER) and share your theme.
You cannot use the images and share your theme.
Ah-ha.. LCS_Blue.. I see, well hmm..

Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #342
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Ah-ha.. LCS_Blue.. I see, well hmm..
not sure what you mean by this.
LCS_Blue is built from the Dead-Ringer that was part of Imperial R4, not Imperial v5.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #343
SmajjL

Glad you asked!
So from that I "figured" that you might also wish to make something out of this v5 also and that you are hoping for it to be OK to do so by White Tie and you are maby waiting?

Old 10-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #344
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Glad you asked!
So from that I "figured" that you might also wish to make something out of this v5 also and that you are hoping for it to be OK to do so by White Tie and you are maby waiting?
I have nothing planned for Imperial 5.
I would need to see the final version before getting any inspiration from it.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #345
SmajjL

Roger that lucas *pscht!*
I need to slow down my own thoughts of this getting finished or I will kick my own ass and WT will help me, I see WT have painted a smiley and throw darts at it.
Aaaanyway.. the first Imperial was screenshots for some time and this was not, unless I dreamt it.
Dremt it, dreame'ness it? hmm, no clue atm, what ever.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #346
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
It's called a knob stack.
They have been available since Reaper v4 and many themes use these.
The Sidecar layout has a compound knob stack with the Width knob sitting underneath the Pan knob.
The Width knob has an expanding circle in the center that expands or compresses as you turn the knob.
A similar method is used in the Stockholm layouts.

You can learn a lot simply by looking a theme's image files.
Yea, I learned a LOT going through Imperial. However, I don't see how you can make a knob stack rotate. I see the layered images, but nothing that would allow the opposite end of the level indicator to move. Maybe it's because the knob stacks I was looking at included the area around the knob. I'll poke around a little more and see what I can learn.

I just got my head wrapped around the very basics of how the graphics are named and stored, Pink, what is controlled by the resources, what can be edited manually in the rtconfig.txt file and what the built in Theme editor can do.

I wish they would make things a little easier for theming. I put in feature requests for filters in the Theme element finder and the Theme development tweaker. Also asked that when the Theme element finder is open, clicking on a resource would show it in the list. It's kind of tricky figuring out what something is called when you're first getting started. If I knew what it was, I wouldn't really need the finder anyway, right? Kind of a worthless dialog window as it is now. It's kind of bass-ackwards, if you ask me.

Modding someone else's theme is tricky, too. Without the original Photoshop files, it can be a pixel-by-pixel affair. Usually. I would work at 2–4 times the final image size so that it gets nicely anti-aliased when you size it down to the final size. The text and shadows in the .png files for Imperial are pretty messy. I did a lot of cleanup work to make them smoother and more legible. WT is a god, don't get me wrong. But the text could use a little work. The difference after some cleanup work was dramatic. So far, I've only done it for the parts of the theme that I wanted to modify. It's a daunting idea to think about going in and making the whole thing consistent so that it's share-worthy! Especially since I have to work lying down on a 13" MacBook Air sharing the screen on my old G5 that has Photoshop CS4 on it! I've got to be insane for even trying, but it's been 10 years since I worked professionally in Photoshop, but I worked with it from v2 through CS4, so it is a lot of fun to re-learn what I used to do so automatically. WT inspired me tremendously.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #347
XITE-1/4LIVE

Been checking here every week waiting for this gem.
Thank you.

But where’s a donate link?

Cheerz
Old 10-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #348
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
Been checking here every week waiting for this gem.
Thank you.

But where’s a donate link?

Cheerz
If there is a way to donate to this Jedi I would also like said link.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #349
Coachz

I gave up
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #350
SmajjL

Hope WT have not developed theme-shareing-fobia and kick some serious axx with D6.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #351
Steffe1973

Come on WT, please continue and release this awesome of awesomeness theme!!
Old 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #352
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffe1973 View Post
Come on WT, please continue and release this awesome of awesomeness theme!!
he doesn't communicate about this theme so the most practical route for me is to give up. Be the water that goes around the rock.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:02 AM   #353
Xaos

Yeah, it does seem like a tease, doesn't it? How many years since it was 6 months from being finished? Can't we just pay WT to finish this? If he'd put up a Patreon, I'm sure he'd end up with a nice budget. I'm really hoping that my secret fantasy is coming true: that this thread was a trial ballon, Cockos has hired WT as the official UI designer for REAPER, and this will be the official face of REAPER v6.

Can we dream?

[Edit: Um, okay, I sure feel like an idiot. I've had this tab open in my browser for months, drooling like an balding, 47 year-old, fat, divorced, coked out, middle management alcoholic in a strip club, and I was so blown away by the beauty of this thing, that I just now noticed he POSTED A LINK TO THE THEME!! So, I'm almost scared to apply it. I'll be stuck in REAPER for a week and get an hour's worth of real work done! You can be the water that goes around the rock, Coachz, but I'm gonna rock this theme while you flow. I'm gonna need to smoke a cigar after I apply this theme.]

Last edited by Xaos; 11-01-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:51 AM   #354
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
Yeah, it does seem like a tease, doesn't it? How many years since it was 6 months from being finished? Can't we just pay WT to finish this? If he'd put up a Patreon, I'm sure he'd end up with a nice budget. I'm really hoping that my secret fantasy is coming true: that this thread was a trial ballon, Cockos has hired WT as the official UI designer for REAPER, and this will be the official face of REAPER v6.

Can we dream?

[Edit: Um, okay, I sure feel like an idiot. I've had this tab open in my browser for months, drooling like an balding, 47 year-old, fat, divorced, coked out, middle management alcoholic in a strip club, and I was so blown away by the beauty of this thing, that I just now noticed he POSTED A LINK TO THE THEME!! So, I'm almost scared to apply it. I'll be stuck in REAPER for a week and get an hour's worth of real work done! You can be the water that goes around the rock, Coachz, but I'm gonna rock this theme while you flow. I'm gonna need to smoke a cigar after I apply this theme.]
Let me know what you find. My understanding is that is is just a beta and was never finished. I only use the TCP also so the mixer doesn't matter to me. I just need a nice TCP that is finished. I'm fine with reapers default theme. The lack of communication is the real disappointment.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #355
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Let me know what you find. My understanding is that is is just a beta and was never finished. I only use the TCP also so the mixer doesn't matter to me. I just need a nice TCP that is finished. I'm fine with reapers default theme. The lack of communication is the real disappointment.
AGREE !!!!! For me this is much more than a major disappointment. I had confidence in this Theme above others and prefer to use a single Theme long-term.
I expect Reaper to have a very 'short' list of recommended Themes and I have no desire to need to sort thru many checks to ensure full and consistent functionality with every Reaper Update.

To now need to change back to 'whatever' Default Theme is pathetic.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #356
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
AGREE !!!!! For me this is much more than a major disappointment. I had confidence in this Theme above others and prefer to use a single Theme long-term.
I expect Reaper to have a very 'short' list of recommended Themes and I have no desire to need to sort thru many checks to ensure full and consistent functionality with every Reaper Update.

To now need to change back to 'whatever' Default Theme is pathetic.
The preview of this theme was epic. In my opinion it was so amazingly attractive that it would make all of the expensive DAWs look like crap. Unfortunately for some reason or another it seems to only be created as an example and not as an actual finished product. Maybe it is for version 6 and will come as a default. That would be fantastic.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #357
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
The preview of this theme was epic. In my opinion it was so amazingly attractive that it would make all of the expensive DAWs look like crap. Unfortunately for some reason or another it seems to only be created as an example and not as an actual finished product. Maybe it is for version 6 and will come as a default. That would be fantastic.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really try to "Keep Calm and Enjoy Life" …. advised by a wise and mature Sage!

I will do so and continue to with WT Imperial v5, and see what v6 brings.

BTW …. my searching skills are surely stunted, but several attempts never provides such a basic answer to "What is Current Default v5.9.1 THEME ??

THX and regards
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #358
Coachz

I think it's just called default and is not downloadable from the stash and is just in the app. I could be wrong.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #359
dub tree

Quote:
The build I am sharing is the latest one that is currently in use by my testers. Its moderately usable. I'm not necessarily looking for feedback at the moment, I've got plenty of testers who I trust implicitly, but if you're curious then please feel free to take a look. Here's the theme file; DON'T MAKE ME REGRET SHARING IT m'kay?
People apparently clicked on the link without reading it.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #360
Steffe1973

I can definetly pay!! Is it possible to get a "gang" together and pay him??